Engine Rebuild Saga Please Help me Thanks

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
Nice, so are you finally building the motor for a Turbo or Supercharger?
Dont worry so much about the heads and cams on a Turbo setup.
Im keeping the heads stock just using ARP Headstuds all good stuff.
What cc are the pistons?

Pete

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
not sure yet, i have always lean more toward a turbo setup but im considering a s/c.

17cc

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Guys, my Shortblock is completed by now, recounting what i have done: stock block, livernois 298Stroker kit, arp main studs, new oil pump, gaskets, SFI 8 bolt flexplate, arp flexplate bolts, tci street fighter converter, new ford oem gaskets, port and polish work on heads. ok after the head work there are things that i may want to get done but i want to double check first and i have a couple of questions. (arp head studs are a must they are going in i know :) )

Q1 is it too necesary to change stock Valves on a 500-600hp turbo built ?

Q2 im going with the comp cams stage 3 cams, there are 2 set of springs i can buy which one should i get ?

Q3 When it comes to Spring retainers and keepers what should i get ?

thanks guys. i hope you guys read this thread i did not want to start a new one just to keep everything together. and i'm sorry about the grammar

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Q1 is it too necesary to change stock Valves on a 500-600hp turbo built ?

Q2 im going with the comp cams stage 3 cams, there are 2 set of springs i can buy which one should i get ?

Q3 When it comes to Spring retainers and keepers what should i get ?

A1. I would.

A2. How about a part number on the cams?

A3. See A2.

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A1. I would.

A2. How about a part number on the cams?

A3. See A2.

A1- who makes them? i could not find anyone.

A2- 1500 to 6200 127350 XE261H-116.5 261 282 222 239 .490 .485 116.5°
w/ automatics.

A3- Valve springs #26113-24, titanium retainers #702-24 or steel retainers #700-24

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
I'm only seeing one spring available for the two and three valve engines on their site. I would use the 26113-24 and the titanium retainers 702-24.

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
SD, Dude is in Miami.

Kliestang, call Peter Del Pino, he knows a little something about building killer motors!

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you dont need to switch out the valves or springs but it wouldnt hurt. i've seen guys run on stock valvetrains with high HP

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm only seeing one spring available for the two and three valve engines on their site. I would use the 26113-24 and the titanium retainers 702-24.
Particularly given his HP goals, Titanium will provide little benefit given the size of the stock retainers and has the downside of getting brittle over time where steel will not...

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
SD, Dude is in Miami.

Kliestang, call Peter Del Pino, he knows a little something about building killer motors!
True. Very true. Good advice. Del Pino Motorsports can help you out tremendously.

cekim said:
Particularly given his HP goals, Titanium will provide little benefit given the size of the stock retainers and has the downside of getting brittle over time where steel will not...
Trust me on this one, Mike. You really want titanium retainers. With a modmotor it is not about weight benefits. It is about harmonics and dampening.

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well i've been looking around and it seems that, i have to trow another to $2500 just to build my heads. i really don't think is worth it. there are a couple kits i found and they seem to be the only one made by now. i think these are way to expensive, and i will probably end up just doing the comp cams, spring, and retainers. i have spent 5k already and i dont even have half of engine built xD.

would the valves frie or something if i dont change them ? what are you big hp guys running ?

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't get used to it. :evil:

Why? List that out if you don't mind.

wel goin the ferrera way.
Ferrea 3V Spring Seat Locators $135.00
Ferrea 3V Stailess Steel Int & Ext Valves On Sale: $599.95
Ferrea 3V Ti RetainersOn Sale: $540.00

Ferrea 3V Valve LocksOn Sale: $115.00
Ferrea 3V Valve Springs On Sale: $530.00
Comp Cams XE261H-116.5 3V Camshafts $699.99

Total of 2618 + tax + shispping

BBR offers a kit of :

Manley SS Valves
Racemaster intake valves & Extreme Duty Ext Valves
Manley Valve Spring
Manley Ti Retainers
***you retain OEM Locators & Locks***

$1439 + 699 cams = 2138+ tax + shipping

and i dont kown if it would be ok

3V Comp cams Beehive Valve Spring $259.95
3V TI Reainers $359.95 or
3V Steel Retainer$89.95

Comp Cams XE261H-116.5 3V Camshafts$699.99
3V Manley Valve Kits $795.95 or

Ferrea 3V Stailess Steel Int & Ext Valves On Sale: $599.95 not sure if they can be used without the rest of ferrera componets.

For some reason i think i should use this springs rather than the others Beehive 3 Valve 4.6L, High Load Valve Springs part #26125-24

hammeron

forum member
Reaction score
hello kleistang, how is the
build going?

keep the updates coming please

i am considering doing something
similar

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
Porting the heads , putting cams in , changing the valve train is a big waste of Money on a Turbo set up for the difference you will gain. Sure its going all out but I dont see the logic behind all that Money.

Your better off getting a Better and bigger Turbo , upgrading the fuel system and turning up the boost.

If the heads are already ported just do a good valve job , better springs leave the stock cams.
Alot better for tuning and driveability.
Stock heads and 20 psi's will get you to 730 rwhp with a stickshift car and a 76mm Turbo .
A 76mm Turbo is far from being out of its effeciency range at 20 , you can still turn it up to 24 and make 800 plus.

Pete

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Everything is going well. i dont have that much time lately with school and work to do anything on the car.

pete, the heads are already ported, and i already have the stage IV comp cans, which required to at least get the springs and retaingers. other than that i have everything else. im not really going to waste money on changing valves. i think it would no make that much difference. i did the cams because i plan on running the car for a couple of months N/A and probably add a little bit of Nitrous. if everything goes righ i should be ready to start the car by the middle of next month, as i said i have no time to work on it.

i'll keep you guys posted and probably shot some pics next weekend of the engine completed.

Pete i had a friend of mine do 554rwhp with only 13psi on a procharger with my same setup, only difference is that he's is manual. and he probably had stock compression. how is your built coming out ? are u getting the tranny build to or no yet?

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
Everything is going well. i dont have that much time lately with school and work to do anything on the car.

pete, the heads are already ported, and i already have the stage IV comp cans, which required to at least get the springs and retaingers. other than that i have everything else. im not really going to waste money on changing valves. i think it would no make that much difference. i did the cams because i plan on running the car for a couple of months N/A and probably add a little bit of Nitrous. if everything goes righ i should be ready to start the car by the middle of next month, as i said i have no time to work on it.

i'll keep you guys posted and probably shot some pics next weekend of the engine completed.

Pete i had a friend of mine do 554rwhp with only 13psi on a procharger with my same setup, only difference is that he's is manual. and he probably had stock compression. how is your built coming out ? are u getting the tranny build to or no yet?

ThE magazine people were out today to take some pictures of the build. Motor should be built by Tuesday. And we are going to start putting it in By the end of the week. The tranny deal fell threw , but thats ok , Im going to get another tranny soon and send it out.
Once I get the car back Im going to concentrate on the rear suspension.

I have AFCO Springs and Im getting the double adjustable shocks for the rear . Im also going to order new wheels soon.

Pete

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back