Fire on 10-12

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks Terry, it is still being put back together. I hope to have it back on the road the first part of Jan. The new shortblock is all done and I delivered it to the shop, so it's just a matter of getting everything rewired and installed.

When the phaser came apart it was just the spring that came loose but, as well as knocking a hole in the valve cover, it got under the chain and made the pass side jump time. All new valves, guides, followers, adjusters and valve job on the pass head were required. Also needed a new set of pistons and I went back to stock compression with the new set. I didn't like the way the engine performed, during normal out of boost street driving, with the low compression pistons I was running.

Like I said shit happens and you just have to go on. I will have it back better then ever next year.

Earl
Earl ..... I have been in KY. so just now got back home.

I know you are looking forward to this New Combination for sure coming in Jan. 2013. :thumb2:

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The cam phasers had been modified with Comp Cams phaser limiters. I think the design of the Comp limiters is what caused the problem. I talked to Comp Tech support about it but they just blew me off.

The new design phasers have changed the way the spring is held in. I guess the Comp limiters would probably work ok with the old design. The limiters come with a couple of tools to help install them but the tools don't even work with the new design.

I think the problem stems from the fact that the Comp limiters are about 1/8th inch thick and insert into the phaser then the rear holding plate is screwed back on. There are long bolts and short bolts that hold the back plate on, the the long bolts go through the gear and the spring has a U hook that hooks onto one of them. In the old design that was all there was to it but in the new design another one of the long bolts helps hold the spring in place. With the limiters installed the section of bolt that comes through is an 1/8 in shorter and I don't think they are long enough to hold the spring in place on the new design.

I had one new phaser and one older design installed, I bought a pair of phasers from a member and one broke during shipment so I had to buy a new one. I had the old phaser on the drivers side and nothing happened to it but the new one on the pass side caused all the damage when the engine hit the rev limiter. Thus my theory about the cause.

I am going with the Livernois limiters on the rebuild and will not even try and sell the Comp Cam ones. I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone going through what I did. I also highly recommend not getting the Comp Cam limiters if anyone is planning on using them. Not unless you can find the correct style bolt that is 1/8 inch longer.

Earl
Earl ..... This last set of Comp Cams Brent installed Do-Not use the Lock-Outs.

You do have to have the (Stronger) Comp Cam Valve Springs.
I had those installed when Brenspeed did the B302 engine.
The Cams are the #127350 and are working great.
Drives in normal traffic just fine at low RPM.
No Loss of Power in the lower RPMs.

These don't have the (Wild-Lope) but they sure do work great in all driving conditions. :thumb2:

Terry

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Man, I never saw this thread. Earl, I'm just glad you had some backup on this man! Fires at the track tend to get way too involved way too fast. The oil fire is what made the difference as well as the help from Ray! I'm just glad YOU didn't get burned!

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Forgot to mention. I've completely locked my VCT out with V10 block plates and the 10* limiters from Livernois. I may have lost some low end power, but I could care less. The piece of mind knowing that I don't have to worry about the VCT is worth it.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Earl ..... This last set of Comp Cams Brent installed Do-Not use the Lock-Outs.

You do have to have the (Stronger) Comp Cam Valve Springs.
I had those installed when Brenspeed did the B302 engine.
The Cams are the #127350 and are working great.
Drives in normal traffic just fine at low RPM.
No Loss of Power in the lower RPMs.

These don't have the (Wild-Lope) but they sure do work great in all driving conditions. :thumb2:

Terry

I wanted to run the limiters and you can't do that with the Comp high lift springs, they require lockouts as you know. I am using the Livernois springs and they said they would be fine for the lift I am running, the same as the Comp 127500 cams and with their limiters.

Man, I never saw this thread. Earl, I'm just glad you had some backup on this man! Fires at the track tend to get way too involved way too fast. The oil fire is what made the difference as well as the help from Ray! I'm just glad YOU didn't get burned!
Thanks Tom, yes if it wasn't for Ray's quick thinking it would have been a lot worse. I could actually see the flames coming out through my cowl hood, so I knew very quickly that it wasn't just smoke but actually on fire and got it stopped.

Earl

fnfast

forum member
Reaction score
Be glad your ok. I had the same happen to me but I was with my wife and kids coming home from a car show. I had a new fuel regulator go bad on me. This year as well. It went up so fast I had flames pouring in the car so fast that I got burned and it reached to the back and singed my daughters hair. Sorry to hijack ur thread but when you deal with anything aftermarket and high powered cars we just have to be safe.

Last edited:

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine would have probably looked like that if it wasn't for Ray. Like I said I always had an extinguish in all my cars but just got complacent and never got around to putting one in this car. I just never thought of it as a race car, ergo no extinguisher needed. I will definitely have on in it now.

Earl

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Where are you guys mounting your fire extinguishers?

Interior5.jpg

SeatBeltandGForceHarnessPics1.jpg

Interior3.jpg

Terry

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Nice mount Terry.

I have always kept one behind my seat at all times. At the track its in the seat next to me. I want it at arms reach in case of emergency. Home Depot about $10, we all should have one in our modded cars.

Fnfast............those are some scary pics. Glad you and your family got out...Wow..

3vstang

forum member
Reaction score
Damn, glad your alright. I was expecting much worse. Hope you get everything cleaned up ok.

fnfast

forum member
Reaction score
Nice mount Terry.

I have always kept one behind my seat at all times. At the track its in the seat next to me. I want it at arms reach in case of emergency. Home Depot about $10, we all should have one in our modded cars.

Fnfast............those are some scary pics. Glad you and your family got out...Wow..

Thank you!! It had happened so fast once I got the kids out of car and to safety there were 20' flames. Too late for anything.

Last edited:

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
These will be going to the shop today, all cleaned up rewrapped, painted and read for install.

Wrap1.jpg

Wrap.jpg

Earl

Last edited:

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
I wanted to run the limiters and you can't do that with the Comp high lift springs, they require lockouts as you know. I am using the Livernois springs and they said they would be fine for the lift I am running, the same as the Comp 127500 cams and with their limiters.

Que? Are you referring to the 26125 springs? Comp recommends them, plus their limiters, for their high lift cams.

I ran the Livernois limiters with the 127550s, and now switched to full locks. It was wreaking havoc on the phasers. I would definitely recommend fully locked VCT. Any loss in power did not seem obvious when we tuned it.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am researching fire systems and race car insurance.

I fear fire more then going into the wall, yet I have no fire protection, as I would hope the track would have that (where I race they do). BUT--on a TNT (not an event) the staff is so thin it would take a while just to reach the car, so having fire protection is something to look at, along with insurance.

Glad you are ok Earl, and glad to see the damage wasn't too bad (when you consider fire and what it can do).

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Que? Are you referring to the 26125 springs? Comp recommends them, plus their limiters, for their high lift cams.

I ran the Livernois limiters with the 127550s, and now switched to full locks. It was wreaking havoc on the phasers. I would definitely recommend fully locked VCT. Any loss in power did not seem obvious when we tuned it.
That's funny, when I talked to Comp they told me they didn't recommend limiters with the 26125 springs. I already had the Livernois springs, which Livernois said would be fine, so I just stayed with them. I hope the limiters hold up, I previously had the lockouts and like the car better with the limiters.

Earl

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am researching fire systems and race car insurance.

I fear fire more then going into the wall, yet I have no fire protection, as I would hope the track would have that (where I race they do). BUT--on a TNT (not an event) the staff is so thin it would take a while just to reach the car, so having fire protection is something to look at, along with insurance.

Glad you are ok Earl, and glad to see the damage wasn't too bad (when you consider fire and what it can do).
Thanks Paul, this was at a private track rental so fire protection wasn't really there. In your case I would definitely have an onboard fire system, you are running way to much HP to mess around with a bottle.

Earl

fnfast

forum member
Reaction score
+1 on race insurance. I had that and it did come in handy.

Parts are looking great!!!

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well it's finally starting to come back together. If all goes well, this will get finished up and installed this week. Excuse the crappy cell phone pic.

new-engine_zps6f61cce3.jpg

Earl

Back