First Look: Whipple 2.3L W140ax for the 2011 5.0L Mustang GT

LASO

forum member
Reaction score
And my point is stock componets are stronger than you think. It's all about the tune.

I've seen just as many people grenade built motors as I have stock stuff.

Im not arguing with you, just wanting to make sure we arent misleading anyone here.

The tune is very important yes...but there are MANY more factors to
consider when "testing" a short blocks "limits".

I have also seen many built motors go and it's usually from the same ignorance that people blow there stockers with too.

Last edited:

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Jared, when are you expecting delivery on your car and where did you order it from?
We have a VIN and a build date of April 12th. It typically takes about 3 weeks from the build date to take delivery of the car pending Ford holding them for quality control. If they hold them the date will obviously be pushed back.

7psi is the max?

7psi is probably the max for pump gas on the stock bottom end. The 2.3L is capable of 23-24psi on the 4V 03 Cobra motor. With that said you have plenty of room to turn it up however at that point you're going to want some better pistons and rods and most likely better fuel.

Jared

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
7psi is probably the max for pump gas on the stock bottom end. The 2.3L is capable of 23-24psi on the 4V 03 Cobra motor. With that said you have plenty of room to turn it up however at that point you're going to want some better pistons and rods and most likely better fuel.

Jared[/QUOTE]

Nuff said...thank you!

benjytps

forum member
Reaction score
from 412 to 600 with 7 psi! Cant wait for some time slips with new record ET's for the s197's.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
And my point is stock componets are stronger than you think. It's all about the tune.

I've seen just as many people grenade built motors as I have stock stuff.

Can't agree more. People said 400 rwhp was all you should run in 2006. Than it moved up to 450 rwhp. Now people are making 480-550 rwhp reliably left and right. Not to say people don't spew that 450 rwhp bullshit still. As far as I'm concerned I think you could make 550 rwhp with GOOD, RELIABLE 93 octane and perfect tuning.

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I'm hearing rumors of someone making 650hp at the flywheel with one of these on the stock bottom end.

Still haven't confirmed it though.

dragpac

forum member
Reaction score
making the power and holding it together for a long time would be 2 different things.I hope it's strong that would be the shit.

Docktour Z

McRibber
Reaction score
That is a ridiculous amount of power! I would expect 480-520 at the wheels from this kit. Hopefully KB comes out with a 2.4L for this motor to compete, I think the turbo guys will have a lot of fun with this motor due to the constant adjustment of independent intake and exhaust settings with the new cam system.

fiverivers

forum member
Reaction score
Can the trans handle that much power? I know its a 6-speed but its not the tr6060 that you get in the gt500.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Can the trans handle that much power? I know its a 6-speed but its not the tr6060 that you get in the gt500.

Only time will tell, but I'd wager a guess that Ford wouldn't use it if it weren't as strong, or stronger than the prior 6 speed.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Only time will tell, but I'd wager a guess that Ford wouldn't use it if it weren't as strong, or stronger than the prior 6 speed.
I wouldn't count on that. I'm sure a major push was to save money vs the 6060 and better gearing vs the 6060 for a drivetrain that doesn't have the large power band of a GT500.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Now it is going to be stronger in one respect because of the 26spline input shaft, how the rest of the trans holds up compared to the 5 speed or 6060 6 speed is yet to be seen.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on that. I'm sure a major push was to save money vs the 6060 and better gearing vs the 6060 for a drivetrain that doesn't have the large power band of a GT500.

The outgoing 5 speed was plenty strong, even for the new power level, and it's only arguable weak link was the 10 spline input shaft. No way is Ford going to replace that with something that's not stronger/better in every way. Weak transmissions are a thing of the past.

As far as being stronger than the current 6 speed, probably not, but really who knows, it's an all new trans. hopefully it shifts a lot better than the prior 5 and 6 speeds.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back