First Look: Whipple 2.3L W140ax for the 2011 5.0L Mustang GT

fiverivers

forum member
Reaction score
Are we talking about the same TR6060 that is in the gt500, camaro, corvette and the viper ( same trans with different gear ratios). I highly doubt the ford will make the 6-speed in the gt better than tr6060. Also I know a few people with roush p-51 cars who have replace their 5-speed with tr6060. The input shaft and the 3rd gear are the two most common failure points.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
The input shaft and the 3rd gear are the two most common failure points.

Common? Not so fast. The internet seems to magnify the failures, when in reality, the input shafts breaking are incredibly rare, and the number of them breaking can probably be counted on one hand. Sure everybody knows somebody who broke one, but when it comes down to it those "somebodys" are all the same small group of guys. I've never seen or heard of 3rd gear breaking, so I can't comment on that (not saying it doesn't happen, I just have zero knowledge of it).

Anyway, the '11 GT has better heads than the GT500, why would it be so hard to comprehent it having a better trans as well. Only the Ford engineers know the limits of the '11 6 speed, so at this point we're all just pissing in the wind until we have some real numbers.

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
Dumb question, since this has the larger inlet will it be transferable to a 3v manifold and/or would it be worth the gain?

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
And not even my ported 3V heads flow as good as a stock 5.0 heads .... uhmmm :dead2:

2011CS

2011 California Special
Reaction score
Hey Lethal?

It's been a month don't keep us hanging :)

E

Eewa

i'll be surprised as well if you can boost the new 5.0 without changing the pistons or somthing. 11:1 compression is not boost friendly.

hawkeye18

omgwtfbbq
Reaction score
i'll be surprised as well if you can boost the new 5.0 without changing the pistons or somthing. 11:1 compression is not boost friendly.

I've explained it a million times, but I'll explain it again. 11:1 is static CR. Dynamic CR is what matters when you're boosting, and with the ability to control both cams independently, you can take DCR down to 6-7:1, which is more than friendly enough for boost.

2011CS

2011 California Special
Reaction score
Open the exhaust valves and bleed the pressure...viola!

callahan318

Reaction score
Very Cool!

ANy idea on how much these units will cost?

Will they harm or shorten the life of the engine?

Also, how will it affect the dynamic and static compression ratio system?

bigjohns97

Reaction score
Eagerly awaiting some new news about this s/c.

Last edited:

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
We're getting real close to having the new Whipple kits for the 2011 5.0L Mustang GT start shipping. I'm being told it can be as early as next week. We've already listed both the complete and tuner kits on our site. More options, info as well as pricing will be released shortly.

In addition to that we've learned that the Whipple kit for the 2011 GT will use the stock 07-11 GT500 throttle body. That's good news as the stock single blade throttle body on the 2011 GT would definitely appear to be a restriction on boosted applications that love to flow lots of air. What this also means is that you'll be able to upgrade to even larger throttle bodies such as the Whipple monoblade and Super monoblade throttle bodies as well as L&M 66/72mm ones and the VMP 67/72mm ones. Without a doubt we know how much of an improvement those throttle bodies have done in the GT500 community and we feel very comfortable saying that they'll do the same for the 2011 5.0L GT community.

For now stay tuned as we'll be releasing more exclusive content as it comes in.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back