GT and V6 differences engine swap in mind.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You know I thought about that aswell, then I thought well its pretty much the same thing as I would have on my GT. Its not like I would tell my insurance company my GT has a stroker, and is turbo charged, with all sorts of other goodies on top, my insurance is already high enough dang theives...

I mean im sure a large percentage of people on this forum dont tell their insurance company about their superchargers and turbos and body kits etc etc

I dont think it will be much more than 20K the way Im building this car including the price of the car since ill be installing and putting everything together myself. I'll get a running list going as I research but I'm still researching this Idea though well see how it goes! :beer:

i asked my insurance about this already they just told me to keep receipts

Eric298

Got V8?
Reaction score
Last year a guy on another forum did a build on a flood salvage V6. Welded up the back half seams, etc, etc. Swapped in a crate 5.4 GT (44) engine as I recall. Detailed the build as he went.

Wouldnt happen to have a link to that would you???:thumb:

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Last year a guy on another forum did a build on a flood salvage V6. Welded up the back half seams, etc, etc. Swapped in a crate 5.4 GT (44) engine as I recall. Detailed the build as he went.
I believe it ended up costing somewhere around 28K in total.
Don\t forget that it was including a GT500 crate engine, ecu, and harness.

Eric298

Got V8?
Reaction score
I believe it ended up costing somewhere around 28K in total.
Don\t forget that it was including a GT500 crate engine, ecu, and harness.

yea I bet it did! considering the gt500 engine is like 16 grand on its own if im not mistaken.

To everyone:
This is my idea as of now
Forged rotating assembly 2k
6060 trans+ driveshaft 4k
complete 8.8 rear end 700

on top of that I need misc to complete the engine i.e. everything besides the shortblock itself might get an engine complete ( its easier) which can be had for a little more than 2k complete (been searching around) or I can piece together the parts on my own piece by piece to complete the engine but im sure its gonna be cheaper as a whole unit.
and then just misc to complete the swap wiring harness, ecu, etc
which is the last piece of info im waiting on to see what itll run me roughly and ill decide if I wanna go through with it or not.

So im looking at about 9k for the engine trans and rear end factor in clutch and flywheel round to 10k or so for those two add. misc to complete engine and swap on top of that.

I'd say im breaking even for what I could get for my GT? yes,no,maybe? but now I have a 6060 aftermarket clutch+flywheel and driveshaft and forged internals instead. I'd say it was a good trade off for hard work?

This is all in good fun and I love projects and well to potentially save me a good amount of money to me is worth doing an engine swap ya know? I wouldnt even think about it if I couldnt get a v6 stang for so cheap but seeming as they are so plentiful its worth atleast looking in to to tally up a total as an idea. :thumb:

08GTStang

Reaction score
One thing to consider about Insurance is this if the Insurance company finds the car has been modded and you get into an accident they can and in most case will not insure the damage caused by that modded car. This is how that get you to tell them about mods.

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score
Are you building this yourself? Are you capable?

Because, if you are getting a shop to do all of this work, then you might as well forget about a budget.

Eric298

Got V8?
Reaction score
Are you building this yourself? Are you capable?

Because, if you are getting a shop to do all of this work, then you might as well forget about a budget.

agreed I wouldnt even start this thread if I wasnt capable it would all be pointless and I might as well keep my GT but ya I am capable of doing this.
I've built a number of engines and hae done a couple swaps in different types of cars and motorcycles don't consider myself a pro but im definetly capable of building the engine and performing the swap. Done a couple swaps in to different cars as well. This would be my first Mustang swap but I mean a cars a car and an engines an engine all the same stuff just different sizes haha.

thunderstang

forum member
Reaction score
Ok I'm not trying to start anything but are you just looking for something to do with your time. Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you want a stock 4.6 with forged internals and a 6060 trans. I think you'll have a lot more green in it that what you think. (Cams, valvesprings, a few hundred in a good gaskets, upgraded suspension, bigger brakes) Your last response to me you said you wern't looking for a sleeper, are you going to get GT bumpers and emblems so you can look like you know something about cars. I just think this would be a good route if you had a big monster power plant and needed a shell to put it in, not stock GT parts, not since you have the GT already.

Eric298

Got V8?
Reaction score
Ok I'm not trying to start anything but are you just looking for something to do with your time. Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you want a stock 4.6 with forged internals and a 6060 trans. I think you'll have a lot more green in it that what you think. (Cams, valvesprings, a few hundred in a good gaskets, upgraded suspension, bigger brakes) Your last response to me you said you wern't looking for a sleeper, are you going to get GT bumpers and emblems so you can look like you know something about cars. I just think this would be a good route if you had a big monster power plant and needed a shell to put it in, not stock GT parts, not since you have the GT already.

no offense taken when I say I want my car to look like " I know something about cars" im talking about very subtle upgrades, a lip, a hood, different rims just so it doesnt look like every v6 stang on the road its a little "unique".

The point of me doing this is basically the price of the sold GT will pay for either a 5.4l or a forged block along with a better trans and drive shaft as well as aftermarket clutch and flywheel and im basically back where I started breaking even. My final goal is of higher hp but see here look at this way let me try to explain.

Lets say I start at 0 dollars and I have my GT: I yank out engine,transmssion and driveshaft and replace.

Lets say buy forged rotating assembly and 6060 trans and clutch and flywheel. Install myself im sitting at -7500 atleast.

option two

sell GT
get 16-17 k somewhere around there so now im postive lets say 16500

buy forged rotating assembly 6060 trans that comes with driveshaft and buy aftermarket clutch and flywheel. so now im at postive 9000 from the original money of the sold vehicle.

buy a vsix stang runs in the 5-6 grand price range is what I can get it for normally runs around (5400-5800 at auction) (Our poor GTs only go for about 13 k lol) anyways so lets say max 6k for the car.
so im left with 3 k for misc for the swap and w/e left towards parts to complete the engine.
so now im back at 0 but I still have that money in the bank and instead of a GT I have this and havnt spent anything yet ^^^

The money I would have orginally used for my GT to buy forged internals and a 6060 trans and clutch and flywheel.
ill already have that and now I can buy F/I and a fuel system and rear end mods to tie it all together and w/e else I need suspension wise and Im spending the same money I would have spent for just my GT to have forged internals and a 6060 trans instead ill have a complete package of a car for much less than I would have spent had I done all this to the GT.

So Im forged and have a trans+ driveshaft to take the abuse along with a new aftermarket clutch and flywheel basically for free for me doing the swap and I dont mind doing the work itll be fun but do you see what im saying? I tried to explain throughly. :beer:

bscottie

forum member
Reaction score
mmmhmm I currently pay 1500 insurance for my GT every 6 months

HOLY CRAP!!! thats a lot of money, I thought my 250 was high since my V6 is only about 25.00 cheaper

I have followed a few conversion threads and done some research myself, and I would budget at least 10k to 15k for the swap and upgrades to the car, some of this cost would be for a GT as well, such as suspension parts, etc., one of the problems about the budget is incidentals and "re-do's" get costly and are not accounted for. If you are able to do a lot of the work yourself then definitly there will be a big cut in the cost

08GTStang

Reaction score
HOLY CRAP!!! thats a lot of money, I thought my 250 was high since my V6 is only about 25.00 cheaper

I have followed a few conversion threads and done some research myself, and I would budget at least 10k to 15k for the swap and upgrades to the car, some of this cost would be for a GT as well, such as suspension parts, etc., one of the problems about the budget is incidentals and "re-do's" get costly and are not accounted for. If you are able to do a lot of the work yourself then definitly there will be a big cut in the cost

Well I dont know where you are but I just looked at your numbers and unless you are going to beg borrow or steal some of your parts your numbers maybe skewed and bit and I am not trying to start any thing or besmerch your abilities. However I just priced a Maganflow full exhaust for my 08 GT from Magna flow with the High flow cats and it is 2345.31 before tax. I still need to buy Heders and they run from 200 to 500 dependant on what you get. and as this other follow is saying it is the small parts that will kill you such as fastners belts things of that nature. I think the car would be awesome after you were done but why not just put the money into the GT I JMO.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
I think the rule of thumb for projects of this nature is to take your planned budget and multiply by a factor of roughly 1.3 to 1.5. Big stuff is easy to account for; but as others have said nickels, dimes and last minute "might as well" things quietly kill you..

If you start with a GT you'll also have an engine/transmission to sell when you swap them out for the 5.4 and 6-speed. Don't forget to factor that in..what do those sell for, $2000-3000?

Also keep in mind if you ever intend to sell the car it will likely sell for what it is...a highly modified V-6 Mustang.

:2cents:

Eric298

Got V8?
Reaction score
Well I dont know where you are but I just looked at your numbers and unless you are going to beg borrow or steal some of your parts your numbers maybe skewed and bit and I am not trying to start any thing or besmerch your abilities. However I just priced a Maganflow full exhaust for my 08 GT from Magna flow with the High flow cats and it is 2345.31 before tax. I still need to buy Heders and they run from 200 to 500 dependant on what you get. and as this other follow is saying it is the small parts that will kill you such as fastners belts things of that nature. I think the car would be awesome after you were done but why not just put the money into the GT I JMO.

First off welcome to the forum!:bigbeer:

And since you think my numbers are skewed a little I figured I might as well just show you.

Heres the trans.
http://www.ddperformance.com/05-08 6 Speed Kit.htm
Here is a forged rotating assembly.
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com...+Packages:+Ford:+3-Valve:+Rotating+Assemblies

Here is a complete rear end.
http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustanggt88rearaxleassembly2005-20073311ratiowabswtrac-loc.aspx

I will most likely piece together the rest of the parts of th engine easily since I would be buying aftermarket parts for the most part anywayz but for your sake here is an example of a complete donor engine just so your calculations are complete. I dont have time to search around the net to find you all the parts such as ( block, heads, intake manifold, cam covers - most of which would be bought aftermarket parts anywayz.)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007...752055QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

that adds up to 10 grand doing it that way but buying the engine in pieces will be far less ( new block - 900, intake manifold complete 160, cam covers 300 < ,I just saw some complete heads go for 400 bones as well so basically thats a pretty complete engine right there anything on top of that will be bought aftermarket for the most part anywayz.) So final tally of everything I just named: 1760 lets say round up to 2 k even for some more misc. Total tally = 9k if im rounding UP add in clutch and flywheel a little more than 10k at most. add in price of car at max 6k thats 16k
all I do now is pay for extras for the swap which is what im awaiting reply from right now from mike to see what it will run.

and in regard to your comment about the exhuast system Im going turbo and a 2500 dollar exhuast is the last thing I need and I think you would be crazy to spend that much on an EXHUAST system I dont care how good it sounds just IMHO its only piping,you can get an exhuast system for MUCH cheaper you gotta look around the deals are out there! :)

The point is that parts I would have bought aftermarket anywayz such as forged internals and that trans swap and driveshaft and clutch and flywheel are basically paying for themselve by me doing the work on swapping the 4.0 out. I broke it down in my post above. ^^

Eric298

Got V8?
Reaction score
I think the rule of thumb for projects of this nature is to take your planned budget and multiply by a factor of roughly 1.3 to 1.5. Big stuff is easy to account for; but as others have said nickels, dimes and last minute "might as well" things quietly kill you..

If you start with a GT you'll also have an engine/transmission to sell when you swap them out for the 5.4 and 6-speed. Don't forget to factor that in..what do those sell for, $2000-3000?

Also keep in mind if you ever intend to sell the car it will likely sell for what it is...a highly modified V-6 Mustang.

:2cents:

Yea I have done projects like this before I know exactly what you mean about the 1.3 times thing is with this i feel its more direct theres no forcing like I had to do in the past.Whenever the grinder and welder came out...argh! :hammer:

And i did think of it your way about selling the gt engine etc thing is a GT trans can be had for pretty much new for only 700 bones. http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustanggtmanualtransmission2005-2008.aspx
so a buyer who searches around, what would they give for my used trans ya know couple hundred? when someone can just buy a pretty much new one there^
and the engine well i mean it would only be a shortblock pretty much so maybe a few hundred bucks < than a g for sure is what im thinking.

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I mean im sure a large percentage of people on this forum dont tell their insurance company about their superchargers and turbos and body kits etc etc

I did. I got a rider to cover all the aftermarket equipment. Didn't cost much, iirc, but I don't remember now how much it is.

08GTStang

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and as I said I was not trying to pick a fight or anything and the prices you showed here are indeed awesome pricing and the project sounds like it will be awesome as well good luck let us know how you make out. I guess I am just lazy cause it sounds like a lot of work to put out just to end back at a V6 mustang with GT parts other then the trans and the forged rotator assembly and rear end. But good luck man.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back