KB Liquid Cooled vs Non LC

fiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
I was looking at the 2.8 KB kits for the 5.0. Is there a huge difference between the LC and non LC? I'm guessing the non LC get hotter?

automatt

Reaction score
I have a roush and on those hot days at the track or even driving around the blower gets pretty damn hot and performance suffers. And mine in cooled. I can't imagine how bad it would be if it was as just left to heat up with nothing helping it cool down. I wouldn't waste the money on non cooled. Imo

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I have a roush and on those hot days at the track or even driving around the blower gets pretty damn hot and performance suffers. And mine in cooled. I can't imagine how bad it would be if it was as just left to heat up with nothing helping it cool down. I wouldn't waste the money on non cooled. Imo

I don't know if you realize but the liquid cooling on the KB's is actually additional liquid cooling to the case of the blower, not just the water cooling for the air charge via the intercooler and heat exchanger.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
The LC doesn't cool the blower case, it only cools the gear case at the front of the blower. Regardless, it's a good thing. If I were to buy a KB, it would have to be the LC.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
The LC doesn't cool the blower case, it only cools the gear case at the front of the blower. Regardless, it's a good thing. If I were to buy a KB, it would have to be the LC.

Ahh...my bad. I only knew it was additional cooling other than the air charge temps.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Go with the LC version IMO. I installed my 2.8L Mammoth over the winter and love it.

fiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I guess the non LC is out of the running.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Find some real world results first before you drop the standard style.

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
As stated above the LC version does little, if anything for IATs. The LC version will extend bearing and seal life. Otherwise there isn't any difference in performance. That being said, get the LC version for the $300 option.

D

Deleted member 162826

I would say LC. Yeah the coolant is only running through the front portion of the case but it's connected the the main part. I don't see how that wouldn't pull some heat out of the case since thermal energy transfers good in metal. Its probably not going to make any difference in AIT but as far has heat soak I'm sure it helps.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and research KB and intake temps before committing. It's a lot of money to spend on something you don't know about.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Or just buy a whipple/tvs and get a better blower...

Agreed! If you want a screw type blower I vote for the VMP Roush TVS. I may actually switch from my Edelbrock to the Roush if I have the money next winter just for the lower IAT temps.

Eel Mit

forum member
Reaction score
Or just buy a whipple/tvs and get a better blower...

Positive displacement hierarchy:

TVS (not a twin screw) < Whipple (cast case twin screw = looser tolerances between case and rotors due to disimilar metals = higher iats than KB) < KB LC blowers (both case and rotors are machined from same alloys)

KB LC blowers use a different rotor pack than non-LC blowers. Liquid cooling the snout allows rotor / case tolerances that Whipple can only dream about. The rear of these blowers is cooled by the air flow through them. The front (without the cooling option) gets heated up due to the gears spinning at 15,000+ rpm in a cup of oil. To counteract the expansion of the rotors and case, they add more clearance between them, this leads to turbulence and more intake air heat...and less efficiency.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score

< Whipple (cast case twin screw = looser tolerances between case and rotors due to disimilar metals = higher iats than KB) < KB LC blowers (both case and rotors are machined from same alloys)

OH - MY - GOD!! You've done it now! Call the local hospitals up in Michigan folks and check to see if Jason has been admitted for a stroke after reading this!:LMAO:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score

TVS (not a twin screw) < Whipple (cast case twin screw = looser tolerances between case and rotors due to disimilar metals = higher iats than KB) < KB LC blowers (both case and rotors are machined from same alloys)

KB LC blowers use a different rotor pack than non-LC blowers. Liquid cooling the snout allows rotor / case tolerances that Whipple can only dream about. The rear of these blowers is cooled by the air flow through them. The front (without the cooling option) gets heated up due to the gears spinning at 15,000+ rpm in a cup of oil. To counteract the expansion of the rotors and case, they add more clearance between them, this leads to turbulence and more intake air heat...and less efficiency.

Sure sounds good on paper. Too bad in the real world it doesn't quite work out that way. KB's IAT's are considerably hotter than a comparable Whipple. All day long.

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
Sure sounds good on paper. Too bad in the real world it doesn't quite work out that way. KB's IAT's are considerably hotter than a comparable Whipple. All day long.

This. Numerous threads about KB heat, but very few about Whipple. I have been fighting IAT's ever since i bought the blower.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back