My experience with JDM (Timeline)

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
Holy crap I would be livid if I had been lied to so many times like that. What a bad business model. I understand sometimes things can get hectic and busy, but 6 months for a new block and some other things is ridiculous

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
I did speak with Jim Sr. this morning and he expressed pretty much the same as he did in his post above. Jim III did also reach out to me and they both were very apologetic and explained they are trying to turn around the exception issues.

I do want to clarify that I've never been unhappy with the products or the services after I have received them from JDM. Jim III has always been very responsive to my questions and concerns.

I did receive the tune last night and loaded it today.

My personal opinion is if they turn around the setting exception thing they could earn my business again even after all this mess.

I feel the same way. I'll sacrifice a little time and money as long as the job is done right. That's why I went with JDM as well.. I feel much better about spending my time installing quality components than worrying about if I'm going to have to redo this again. I went with the engine builder that I felt had the best reputation for building Ford engines and what I felt was the best tuner(VMP). DIRTFT. Here's to hoping our mills are still churning 10 years down the road. :beer:

klaw

forum member
Reaction score
OP, you beat me to the punch on posting a thread like this. I ordered a short block from JDM on June 20. I was told 2-3 weeks delivery which was why I chose to order from them. Livernois delivery was 4-6 weeks and with the short summers we have in Canada I wanted my car up & running as soon as possible. My mistake.

After several emails and phone calls with broken promises on delivery I threatened to cancel the order and my shortblock was finally shipped on September 23.

On October 8 the shortblock was in the car & running and as my luck would have it, on October 13 the motor blew while on the dyno. At this point I was so pissed with my car as this was the second built motor that went on me this year that I have only pulled the motor out of the car and have not torn it apart to assess the damage or try to find the cause. I am not blaming JDM for the failure at this time as I do not know what went wrong. That will be in a thread on a future date once I get thing taken apart.

I surely hope the OP has better luck with his motor. JimIII, I have read all the excuses but they are just that & don't hold a lot of water. Extremely poor customer service will not keep customers loyal, honesty will.

It's very painful to hear this story. We watched this car miss the entire season of cruising, showing, and racing this year. ILW84U is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and showed way more patience and tolerance than the situation deserved - only to be kicked in the sack again at the end.

Perhaps Rick, JDM took your screen name too literally???

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
IMO it isn't the 4-6 month delay that is the problem. What would piss me off is getting lied to every single week for 4 months straight. If the bastard tells you "a few more days" every single week for 12 weeks, at some point you have to begin doubting every single word that comes out of his mouth.

If it's going to take 3-4 months then tell me the fucking truth right up front, don't string me along like the slut you're banging on the weekends behind your wife's back. I don't care if you're the Son of God himself, months and months of one lie after another and you'd be on my shit list.

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Rick the reply was from Jim Sr. not Jim III

My mistake but the service received remains the same.

It's very painful to hear this story. We watched this car miss the entire season of cruising, showing, and racing this year. ILW84U is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and showed way more patience and tolerance than the situation deserved - only to be kicked in the sack again at the end.

Perhaps Rick, JDM took your screen name too literally???

Thanks for the kind words Kevin & that take on the screen name is great. I never thought of that!

Stolen 98

forum member
Reaction score
I've dealt with JDM before and although it took a while...it was totally worth the wait and I'll continue to be a loyal customer...at NMRA Columbus '08 JimIII helped me bolt on drag radials as I was late to the track for qualifying...his dad then tweaked my tune and got me 3-tenth's.

These guys might be slow but they do give a shit about their customers. I applaud the honesty in coming out and discussing health issues.

At the end of the day the op was waiting for a short block for his toy...not a heart or organ transplant.

My $0.02

Bullitt3478

forum member
Reaction score
I think the problem just comes down to the expectations of getting it when they say they will.Not that its poor quality stuff or anything like that.When you order something that costs that much you really just want it when they say you will have it.If you call a shop to place an order and they tell you up front look we are one of the leading shops in the buisness therefore we are taking up to 6 months to deliver our product. Most guys would say ok cool send it when its done.But to be lied to week in and week out is a problem.Someone knew it wasnt being done as it was promised but they chose to mislead instead of inform.This would be my only issue and future deterent.

trucker

Reaction score
I would rather wait for the best then be in a hurry and take whatever
is avilable at the time I trust there work it is exactly what they say it is.........

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
Trey I havent heard from you in a while, the tune provided in the TVS Phase 2 kit you purchased is supposed to be from Roush. We can build you a tune if you need still? Please let me know if we can help.

Jim, I'm happy. Don't sweat it. I think you guys run a decent business. You had issues with getting a part from Roush to ship the entire kit to me. It took forever but my understanding was the problem was Roush. Honestly I was perturbed that I was not made aware you didn't have the entire kit in stock when I ordered it, you guys got me the parts and were always dilligent about responding to me.

As far as the tune, here is your response to me in August from a post in your vendor forum--

"Wow awesome numbers and glad to hear you have everything going! I was happy to answer your questions, if there is anything you need let me know! Also the tune will be taken care of right away. Give me a call when you get a chance and Ill get my father right on it."

Admittedly I didn't call you again, but didn't think I needed too.

A country worth living in is a country worth fighting for.

bscottie

forum member
Reaction score
excuses are BS, obviously they lied to you on several occasions, good to know they wont see any on my money and I will make sure anybody interested hears the same.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back