My not so fun Street adventure.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Many know I still drive my car on the street as much as possible. Last Sat night I had a very crazy ride. Cruising on the hwy around 1 am I had a vw cut me off for now reason -_- So I got on the brakes pretty hard. To my surprise the next thing I know the front wheel is locked and I am dragging the front skinny, not a 2-3 seconds later I pop the front runner and im fighting to keep the car straight. I come to a screeching hault on the hwy. This happened at 60-65mph no lie no faster. I couldn't imagine if I was going full tilt and then got on the brakes.... or if this happened at the track the wall would of been very close.

I have run the Strange drag brakes on my car for the last 2 seasons street and strip. On the street I always figured I would warp the rotors eventually which is fine... replacing them ever year or two isn't that bad. Never would I have thought this could happen. The top bolt broke leaving half of the bolt in the spindle... from the the caliper Bracket proceeded to jam against my bogart and did some serious damage.

216439_10150161610040415_508795414_6913147_5551761_n.jpg

To sat the least I was pissed. Big $ to repair what just happened but as I calmed down on the side of the road I relized that it could of been much worse. I saved the car and no body damage what so ever... the car was basicly sitting on the ground but never scrapped.

Clearly I have to eat this out of my pocket as Drag parts should be on the Drag Strip. I have no idea why the bolt snapped but I did order new Strange parts yesterday to get the car back together for the first race in my (local series) As for now I won't have it on the street just because don't want to buy another bogart skinny at the moment.... I just ordered new track rims a week prior to this -_-

Guys that are street driving these double check every bolt on a regular bassis!

Last edited:

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn bro that sux, glad your ok. Who would send my stickers if you got hurt, lol.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dammit I knew I forgot something -_- Still waiting for my sticker guy to drop them off. Should have them this week

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Np man, just giving you shit. Are you going back with the same parts that broke?

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nah id never call you stupid, you know your shit and what works. I learned that a long time ago, you go with what you know.

BlackSunshine

Power Downshifter
Reaction score
Thats uggo brother. Saw it on FB before but its nice to have a better explanation here. Glad you are ok buddy.

Parts is parts man, and I know you have no shortage of them over there lol. So long as you're not hurt thats the important thing. BTW, when is your first track day? i know last week got rained out.

Cheers Bro.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did you loctite the bolts when you put it together? I wonder if the bolt came loose and the little bit of play caused the bolt to shear.

Reaction score
Glad it happened on the street doing 60~ than at the track doing 120+....

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I had a similar thing happen in my '03 Cobra. Luckily my wheels were wide enough to keep the caliper mostly in place. It still reuined the caliper and damaged the wheel, but it didn't lock it up. Turns out I had a bolt back out that held the caliper to the spindle.

As with any modified car, check and double check important hardware.

1FastS197

Reaction score
60 is a lot faster than it looks... me and a friend had a small incident at around 108 MPH... he lost control around that range... not sure what speed we actually wrecked at... slide off the road and hit a colvert, unsure of how many times we rolled... all i remember is the car went airborne and a loud pop... then i woke up with road in the front glass hanging by a seat belt... young and dumb is all i can say... we was playing hauling ass down the road i live on when we went around a very minor turn there had been log trucks pulling out of another side road and we hit the gravel they had pushed out in the road... very bad feeling... at that speed by the time you see it, its to late... glad everything is okay man! hate it about your car but it can always be replaced or fixed....

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Very glad to hear you are OK. And really, that's all that matters. At first, I was pissed for you that the VW did that shit, but he may well have saved your whole car, if not your life, cause it would have been one hell of a different outcome had this happened at 120+ at the drag strip.

What about going with ARP bolts now to prevent that from happening again?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back