Need head oil flow diagram

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
It does, thanks Bill. I'm still trying to understand the oil control solenoid and when it applies max pressure though. I read one article that says max retard on the cams at WOT, but it conflicts with what Comp Cams is saying. The cam phasers are capable of retarding the cams 60 degrees at the cam but according to comp cams at cruise they retard about 20 and WOT only 9. This sounds more like the phasers are more for emissions with the added benefit of being able to slightly retard at top end for max HPs. What got me thinking about all this is I was trying to figure out if there would be any added benefit to installing limiters on a stock cam. I know SDWheeler says leave them alone and he's most likely right, but now I'm wondering if the limiters would help with mid range throttle response when coming off a cruise situation. Why would the phasers be able to retard up to 60 degrees if the most they need to retard is 20 at cruise and even less at WOT? Doesn't make sense to me, one article conflicts with the other. Hope this makes sense and I realize I'm a little late in the game to be trying to fully understand these phasers.

Last edited:

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I don't believe they retard 60 degrees...I believe it's 20 degrees in one direction and 40 in the other for a total of 60 degrees of adjustment. I just don't remember which gets which.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
You made your own phaser delete plates right 05Stroker? Did anyone ever find someone who makes them besides MMR? Has anyone confirmed that the V10 plates work on our heads and if so does anyone have a part#

I'm going to be replacing alot of the timing parts over the winter on my car and figure while I have the timing cover off I may as well delete the phasers.

Thanks!

MMR is the only ones besides mine that I have found. After I confirm mine work and are tested i will be able to make them for others if interested . I'm not in this business but, will help after they are tested if others are interested . These were made for my car solely by verifying the flow of the heads with air so, I am still needing to test them. Everything I have seen thus far looks good though . Hell with all the one off shit I have invested time in the last year on my car I may have a whole line ! LOL! But seriously after I am done with this thing I will have some pretty neat shit that others can benefit from as well .

I have not checked the V10 plates . Sorry.

will this work for you?

Thanks that is nice !

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. A local guy to me who has done some work on my car was originally a tool and die maker and he may be able to make some up for me. He builds his own engines for his dragsters and whatnot so I do trust him.

Thanks for the reply!

lito

forum member
Reaction score
will this work for you?

Nice, thanks! I remember going all over the manuals because I saw this info once but could not found it again.

You made your own phaser delete plates right 05Stroker? Did anyone ever find someone who makes them besides MMR? Has anyone confirmed that the V10 plates work on our heads and if so does anyone have a part#?

I'm going to be replacing alot of the timing parts over the winter on my car and figure while I have the timing cover off I may as well delete the phasers.

Thanks!

I don't believe they retard 60 degrees...I believe it's 20 degrees in one direction and 40 in the other for a total of 60 degrees of adjustment. I just don't remember which gets which.

James, if I were you I would just slap a set of Livernois lockers there and forget about it.

Also, the phasers are at fully advance in the default position (by spring pressure) and oil feed just retards them up to 60 degrees. This is for emissions (these cars have no EGR valve and they achieve that by retarding the cam) and economy (it combines wider open throttle with retarded cams so it will reduce pumping losses).

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Ahh. So the VCT is technically retarding the cams from their normal position 60 degrees, but it's not 60 degrees from their neutral position.

As for the lockouts, I already have the livernois ones in but I'd like to be able to take those VCT controls out of the valve covers and the only way I could do that is by making those plates on. I may not do it but it's something I'm considering since I'll have the outside of the engine torn down over the winter.

JagerBomb

Reaction score
Ahh. So the VCT is technically retarding the cams from their normal position 60 degrees, but it's not 60 degrees from their neutral position.

As for the lockouts, I already have the livernois ones in but I'd like to be able to take those VCT controls out of the valve covers and the only way I could do that is by making those plates on. I may not do it but it's something I'm considering since I'll have the outside of the engine torn down over the winter.

Hello Dysan

My name is Jeff and new to the forum however, I have been playing with modular motors for several years now.

The V10 solenoid delete plates will allow you to remove the solenoids. Engineering part numbers are 5C3E-6N881-AB and 53CE-6C743-AB. Any decent Ford parts person can x-ref these to catalog numbers. You will also need gaskets. Also the holes in the valve covers can be plugged with a freeze plug. I am doing the same to mine and actually ordered the parts yesterday. Cost was around $50.

Paul at Paschael Performance turned me on to this. I am using his adjustable cam gears on my 3v.

Hope this helps.

- Jeff

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info! Are the gaskets you are talking about for behind the delete plates? I'm hoping to order all the parts I need this coming week so in the next few weeks I can start replacing my timing/valvetrain parts. The V10, is that considered a Ford or Lincoln engine?

As for the Paschal cam gears, I don't think I'm going to do them with my stock cams. In the future when I can get some money together for some custom grinds I'll probably do the cam gears then.

JagerBomb

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info! Are the gaskets you are talking about for behind the delete plates? I'm hoping to order all the parts I need this coming week so in the next few weeks I can start replacing my timing/valvetrain parts. The V10, is that considered a Ford or Lincoln engine?

As for the Paschal cam gears, I don't think I'm going to do them with my stock cams. In the future when I can get some money together for some custom grinds I'll probably do the cam gears then.

No worries, glad the info was useful. Yes, the gaskets are used behind the delete plates and the v10 mentioned is the Ford modular.

Good luck with the project.

JagerBomb

Reaction score
Dysan -

Delete plates are supposed to be here next Thursday and if you want to hold of I will verify whether the gaskets are included with the plates. Paul at Paschal thought they were included, but parts dealer said they were not. Won't know for sure until they arrive.

- Jeff

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Hello Dysan

My name is Jeff and new to the forum however, I have been playing with modular motors for several years now.

The V10 solenoid delete plates will allow you to remove the solenoids. Engineering part numbers are 5C3E-6N881-AB and 53CE-6C743-AB. Any decent Ford parts person can x-ref these to catalog numbers. You will also need gaskets. Also the holes in the valve covers can be plugged with a freeze plug. I am doing the same to mine and actually ordered the parts yesterday. Cost was around $50.

Paul at Paschael Performance turned me on to this. I am using his adjustable cam gears on my 3v.

Hope this helps.

- Jeff
And these have the same flow lines as the 3v heads ?

JagerBomb

Reaction score
And these have the same flow lines as the 3v heads ?

05stroker -

Yes, they do and I am glad you asked. I need to cover all bases and may not have. This applies to the v10s using the 3v head. I believe the v10 was introduced in 1977 as a 2v version and in 2005 as a 3v version. So for the 3v version flow lines are the same.

- Jeff

JagerBomb

Reaction score
I would love a few pics of the flow lines on the back side of them when you receive them . I really hate to think I spent 12 hrs on something I can buy for $50.00.

You bet most likely next weekend. I can't tell you how many times I have reinvented the wheel myself. On the other hand people like you that aren't afraid and on the edge is what inspires us all.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
You bet most likely next weekend. I can't tell you how many times I have reinvented the wheel myself. On the other hand people like you that aren't afraid and on the edge is what inspires us all.
Are these the ford part #s you have , 5C3Z-6N881-AA and 5C3Z-6N881-BA ?
Theses are the ford part 3s my parts guy said are the left and right for the ford engineering numbers you provided.

These are about $90 for both .

NOTE : I DO NOT KNOW THAT THESE WILL WORK OR NOT , JUST CHECKING INTO THE PARTS.

Last edited:

JagerBomb

Reaction score
Are these the ford part #s you have , 5C3Z-6N881-AA and 5C3Z-6N881-BA ?
Theses are the ford part 3s my parts guy said are the left and right for the ford engineering numbers you provided.

These are about $90 for both .

NOTE : I DO NOT KNOW THAT THESE WILL WORK OR NOT , JUST CHECKING INTO THE PARTS.

I won't know until tomorrow when I pick them up. Those numbers do sound familiar. They generally give me a discount on parts. Given the parts do arrive tomorrow I'll provide part numbers and pics. I'll even include a pic of the receipt that you may be able to use to get the same discount.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back