New Heads and Cams Are In

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
I think running an 11 with stock heads and cams is more amazing than running a 11.79 with ported heads and cams right now.

Yeah I definitely agree, and I think the guy who owns leonard racing is the only guy who has ran 11's on stock heads as of now.

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
Oh I'm sure there is, it just takes practice. Justin Burcham drove his car to 11.79, but Rich himself ran 11.88

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My Goal is to run 11's with stock heads. I don't have a lot of cash to do alot so I have to do a little here and there. Right now I average 12.3-4 so I have at least 4 tenths to make up here, I hope to get light weight wheels soon, maybe a light weight K member and radiator support, I plan on installing Marc's old NSR Stage II Comp Cams. so I see a good 2 -3 tenths there.

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
I think you will achieve 11's by adding cams and a few lighter suspension parts.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think you will achieve 11's by adding cams and a few lighter suspension parts.

Your Optimistic LOL,
Marc has been trying to chase me down for over a year, I think he will finally Pass me up. Seriously 391 without a good tune is awesome.

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
Well I like to be optimistic about this stuff. Acquiring 4 tenths from cams and a few suspension parts shouldn't be too hard to get IMO.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score

white07

Reaction score
I was shooting to run 11.99 with stock heads/cam/intake but I want my car to lope to much.

My best thus far is a 12.71 @ 99 b/c I let out once and put the brakes on around the 1000ft mark. I think that pass should of been good for a 12.5-12.6. With suspension, shocks, struts, driveshaft, electric h2o pump, power steering delete, 15x4 front runners, 15x8 w/ slicks, and some good driving I was looking for a low 12 high 11 second pass.

but now after checking out marc's vid and car I am set on heads and cams b4 attempting the all motor thing.

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
It'd be over 4500 for Stg 3 heads/cams + labor so.... Pricey build we are talking here.

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
I guarantee 1,200 or more labor for heads/cams unless your buddy ford tech would ask for less. I got quoted 1200-1300 before, plus I'm in Texas too, so the quotes might be similar up there.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
DIY heads/cams/etc... and its 3K :thumb:, 3350ish w/ tune... cheap for hp/tq that you can safely run over, and over again; not an addition, but an upgrade:beerdrink:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Not to total change the subject, but you guys remind me of an argument I have heard dozens of times. People say NA HP is way more expensive than FI HP. I have to disagree. And here is why...

With me doing the labor, my head/cam swap cost me $5080 and 20 hours of labor after all was said and done. That is all the go-fast parts, lockouts, ARP head studs, cam phaser bolts, gaskets, fluids, etc...

Shit, I spent $450 just replacing one-time TTY bolts. BUT, it was still cheaper than a blower. Even if you paid the $1300 for labor, you are still looking at less than $6400 for everything.

Now to compare, a Votech HO system is $5700 plus labor, and they give you 390 at the wheels. Now, some guys say "when my tuner was done with it, the car made WAY more power." Well, this may be true, but look at the cost of buying and installing the new pullies, and the $300 to $500 for the tunner to rehash it.

Even if you get another 60 HP from a custom tune and pulley, you spent another $700. If I spend 800 for a C&L Intake and fix my AFR problems, I will make 420 - 430 at the wheels.

So, for the same amount of money, maybe less, I can make close to (if not as much as) TQ and HP as a guy who buys a centri.

The negitives, I don't make as much power, maybe.

The positives, I may make as much power, but with no heat soak, no low rpm lerching, no chance of blowing a connecting rod out the side of my block... and last, but not least, when I do go FI, I will be able to make WAY more power.

Last edited:

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Marc, you forgot 1000K worth of gauges, and the added "kit" for good efficient cooling; unless you wanna burp every time you make a pass...

extra 100lbs on the front wheels will wear brake/suspension more...

cost of changing clutches will be more b/c of tubing (turbo guys)

tensioner(s), belt(s), fuel pumps and the fuel they require to run safe:thud:

extra stress on bottom end from boost...

... anyone want more... Im here all day:beerdrink:

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
haha unless you got the hook up :beerdrink:

you'd better have hook up when you cant keep the boost down...

btw, how many miles you have on your car in the last 3 months... :)
Mr. 'cant keep boost under 15psi on stock bottom end :thumb:!'??

On another note, how's the little one?

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you'd better have hook up when you cant keep the boost down...

btw, how many miles you have on your car in the last 3 months... :)
Mr. 'cant keep boost under 15psi on stock bottom end :thumb:!'??

On another note, how's the little one?

lmao i have driven it 300 miles since october , and should be running in a week .....scratch that better be running in a week then we shall see how much this tranny can hold :beerdrink:

little ones doing good all he does is sleep , shit , and eat lol

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
lmao i have driven it 300 miles since october , and should be running in a week .....scratch that better be running in a week then we shall see how much this tranny can hold :beerdrink:

little ones doing good all he does is sleep , shit , and eat lol

LOL, that's how most of my weekends look! :beerdrink: Glad the little dude is letting you guys sleep.

I can't wait to get the FI going. Too bad my wallet disagrees with me. Once the forged block is in, I am going to boost the shiznit out of it. My goal is a 9 sec car I can drive to work. Even if it is 9.998, I'll be cool with that.

I just don't think it will be easy on a 281. I might go with a 298 or a 323. As long as its a Ford mod motor. I haven't even started thinking about a trans yet. All I know is the Tremic I have right now won't cut it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back