Please recommend a TRANSMISSION PAN & transmission OIL COOLER

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've been reading a lot of stuff on this forum but just recently decided to join. I also know a few people here personally (e.g., 94tbird, AdudeinNewJersey and a few others). Anywho, it seems as if this forum has the most knowledgable people so I figured I ask all my questions here and more than likely get the best advice...:clap:

So since I have an automatic and drive it harder than normal (and eventually adding forged internals, FI, NOS - way down the line though) I want to run what I have now at the most efficient level. I was told that a transmission cooler and deeper oil pan will only help the life of my automatic transmission. Can someone recommend a transmission cooler that works on my car? I think the Performance Automatic deep transmission pan is what I'm going to purchase as far as pans are concerned but I can't seem to find any transmission coolers.

Has anyone installed one? Can anyone recommend one for me? Can you recommend the correct brand and size?

Thank you so much for your help!!

BTW - I'm new to this stuff and starting small. Hopefully I will get on Ron's level - lol - as well as you other hardcore dudes - including that guy with the blue automatic car who has a YouTube video (?) that sounds incredible... (I saw it last year and I think he's a member here). Thanks again!

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, I don't have a good answer for you though.

Mick Mach

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
http://www.performanceautomatic.com/pans.htm

go here and look around...I cant find a pic for our cars..but they have them...maybe the only on out there. I think out stock tranny coolers are darn good until you get real serious with power. here's a pic
oh and welcome!

Attachments

• PDR_0090.jpg
    PDR_0090.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 37
  • trans%20pan%20006.jpg
    trans%20pan%20006.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 34

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Welcome...

although I don't think you want to be on Ron's level... you will spend alot of time looking at your broke car...

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My Trans is with Tony at Larry's Transmission and I asked him about a pan and he said that high power will be fine with the stock pan that alot of people just switch so that they can have a dipstick. Im gonna save a few bucks a keep the stocker.

As for the cooler, I dont really know what power level that it is required to upgrade but you might want to look around here
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/1032939/10002/-1?source=home&coll=item2&pos=2

or here
http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...=1&N=700+4294908331+4294908282+4294846476+115

Also.... Welcome!

MSgt46270

Reaction score
+1 with Tony at Larry's Transmissions. I had asked him to upgrade my trans cooler, and get some other service also. When I went to pick up my car, he said he didn't change the trans cooler cause the stock one is a good one and was better/equal to the one he could have installed. That's when I knew I was at a honest shop and now it's the only trans shop I go to, even if it's about 110 miles away.
I was at Larry's Transmissions about two or three weeks ago to have Tony change out a part that was acting up. Then he checked the oil pan for metal and checked the fluid and was not to happy with the smell of it and asked some questions. He suggested that I get the trans serviced every 3K, cause the upgraded TC gets hot and speeds up the break down of the trans fluid.

Almost forgot, welcome to S197forum mAnYsTyLeS.

Last edited:

sevenleaf

forum member
Reaction score
I installed the B&M Hi tek cooler inline with my transmsision cooler and couldn't be happier with it.

2299238942_cf2162a366_b.jpg

+1 on Larry's Transmission Tony was awesome to deal with also checked up on me to make sure the transmission was running correctly.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Welcome to S197Forum.com!

including that guy with the blue automatic car who has a YouTube video (?) that sounds incredible... (I saw it last year and I think he's a member here).
Yep, that would be me.

As far as your question goes, I'm still running the stock pan and cooler. But if you want peace of mind, the the PA pan is a good choice. It would definitely be nice to have a dipstick and a "normal" way to check/add fluid. Same goes for the cooler. I wouldn't replace the stock unit, but adding another one somewhere wouldn't hurt. I've thought about doing something similar to what sevenleaf showed above.

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! After reading these posts and seeing how much HP you guys run, I don't think I'm going to need a transmission cooler right now. I will (for peace of mind) have the PA deep transmission pan installed though.

Can you recommend a good transmission oil for me to purchase for the install?

I've heard RedLine but I'd like to get some more opinions. The car is a daily driver with about 10 - 15 drag-strip days during the year. Thanks!!

BTW - you guys have really mean cars - nice job!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Gussy... guess you decided to keep it!

Congrats and welcome

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Can you recommend a good transmission oil for me to purchase for the install?

For me that would be what they put in it at the factory!

But I am a mite touchy about transmissions after owning a few Chrylsers that were picky as hell about what fluid went into them!

Hope this helps.

Mike

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
But if you want peace of mind, the the PA pan is a good choice. It would definitely be nice to have a dipstick and a "normal" way to check/add fluid

+1000000 WTF was Ford thinking here? You blow a seal with the stock setup and you are SOL and stuck on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck!

BTW, what type of transmission fluid are you using?

Thx,

Mike

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
BTW, what type of transmission fluid are you using?
Ummmm... no idea. I'd guess whatever the factory spec stuff is. The only time it gets new fluid is when the trans is out of the car, so Adam fills it back up. LOL

But, if I were going to change it myself, I would check with Tony or Adam for a recommendation.

MSgt46270

Reaction score
Ummmm... no idea. I'd guess whatever the factory spec stuff is. The only time it gets new fluid is when the trans is out of the car, so Adam fills it back up. LOL

But, if I were going to change it myself, I would check with Tony or Adam for a recommendation.

What ever Adam or Tony used to fill it up. Knowing the both of them, they won't use any junky stuff.

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
Gussy... guess you decided to keep it!

Congrats and welcome

Thanks Dave - I couldn't sell it man, I just couldn't. It's what brought me into this hobby... I will pass it on to my children because by then I'll have my ZR1 :evil:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Adam is Adam of ST Motorsports - good luck getting him from what I read

Tony is from Larry's Transmissions

Both Cali shops

MSgt46270

Reaction score
Who's Adam and Tony and how can I get in touch with them to ask about good tranny oil? Cheers!

Here you go.

Adam is a very busy person and can be hard to get a hold of just to let you know.

STCard004CustomSmall.jpg

Tony is the master transmission person on the west coast.

LarrysCard001.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back