Question: Do email tuners disable o2s on cars even with high flow cats?Emissions fail

torchred

forum member
Reaction score
I'm trying to wrap my head around my emissions woes..........I got an update tune from BBR instructing them of my new changes (pypes SS cats). loaded the new tune up, and all is well, no check engine light, car runs great.

On their tune form they list off road, high flow, and factory cats. Do most of these email tune guys just turn off the O2s even if you tell them you have high flow cats installed? That kinda doesn't make any sense to me. I failed emissions today and the emissions guys said my rear O2s failed to communicate with OBD system which Im' guessing means my O2s are still turned off.

I've had good communication with BBR so I don't want to start bashing anybody, I'm just confused why they would disable the rear O2s even if you told them you had cats installed, but high flow.

Gremlin85

forum member
Reaction score
It is possible they left them disabled because it is known for high flow cats to also set a CEL.

Sometimes if you flash the car to close to your inspection date, your readiness monitors are not set. Make sure it's not that specifically and then see if BBR can update your tune to keep your rear O2's on.

I've run into countless emissions problems in my tuning times and there is always a work-around.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Depends on the tuner and type of tune you have.

You need to check the readiness monitors.

"Not Available" means they are shut off
"Incomplete" means you need to complete the drive cycle
"Complete" means they have passed the driving cycle test.

torchred

forum member
Reaction score
Emissions guy said all the systems were ready. The printout says OBD communication FAIL to O2s. The inspection guy said I probably had aftermarket O2s.....that made ZERO sense to me. So only Ford sells O2s that will pass emissions?? lol.

torchred

forum member
Reaction score
Here's exactly what printout says:

OBD communication: FAIL
Comm. Fail reason: monitors unsupported
O2 sensor: unsupported
O2 sensor heater: unsupported

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Have them turn the rears back on, then go for a drive, maintain random speeds for short stints, like, do a mile at 60, then go a mile at 67, then go another mile at 58. That's usually when obd tests for cat efficiency.

torchred

forum member
Reaction score
It just kills me because my car is such a simple, simple setup. It should NOT be failing emissions. I have cats and stock motor never had valve covers off.

Gremlin85

forum member
Reaction score
Easy fuzzy little man peach. Valve covers have nothing to do with this.

Email the tuner and get them turned on. Explain to them what you posted here and I'm sure they will fix it for you immediately.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Oooh, have fun when you call BBR and tell them the tune is not what you asked for.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
lol; when dealing with any tune, make sure you tell them that you have to be able to pass OBDII inspections, and you need rear cats turned on. The more info you give a tuner, the better job they can do in getting you exactly what you need.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
SCT used to default files have he O2 defaulted off. Idk if they still do.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Many tuners will turn off the rear o2 sensors even if you have cats. They do this just to save themselves from future headaches. This is also what will burn cats up because with the rears turned off there is nothing to protect the cats when they get hot.

I'm sure that lito could write you an emissions tune. He's a vendor on this site.

torchred

forum member
Reaction score
Currently waiting for an update tune from Chris at bbr. Hopefully I have good news to report back other wise ill be putting in some OT so I can afford a local dyno tuner who has no problems with emissions tunes from what I hear. ......just so $$$$

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
My tunes always came with the o2's off.
I had to call in and tell them to leave the o2's on, that and non foulers with no cats passed the obd test for me.

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
When I had to get emissions in the past I had similar errors/codes when failed emissions and it was due to the rear o2s being disabled.

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
I had mine disabled by BBR. We installed non foulers on my Bassani X Pipe with cats, called BBR for a new tune and it passed. This was pretty recent.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back