Removing the oil pan with a BMR K-Member

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Full BMR front suspension on a 2008 GT, and I MIGHT have to pull the oil pan down. Seems a pain with OEM K-member, but hoping the BMR I have installed will pay off.

There is lots of clearance between the BMR k-member and the pan, though the steering rack is really close to the front/bottom of the pan (the shallow part). Maybe even closer since I have the 1/2" lowered mounts.

Curious whether the steering rack has to come off or the engine needs lifted like an OEM K - member. Anyone with the BMR setup have to pull the pan?

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

Hopefully, it won't be necessary. It's a new Brenspeed B326. The valve covers were leaking, and I *think* the oil I see at the oil pan seam was just oil making its way down.

The heads on the motor were used (but supposedly cleaned and ported), but the surfaces where the valve cover gaskets meet it were pretty dirty and rough; I suspect that's the reason for their leaks. Now that they are cleaned up/changed and the oil cleaned off everything, I'll just have to wait and see if anything new appears at the oil pan.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

Hopefully, it won't be necessary. It's a new Brenspeed B326. The valve covers were leaking, and I *think* ...I'll just have to wait and see if anything new appears at the oil pan.

Good luck with the leak.

Did you end up going with the 127450 cams and limiters (not lockouts)? How do you like the cams? How do they pull from about 4000 rpm? TIA.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Good luck with the leak.

Did you end up going with the 127450 cams and limiters (not lockouts)? How do you like the cams? How do they pull from about 4000 rpm? TIA.

Thanks. Valve Cover gaskets are done. Now, to wait and see if that's what was making it's way to the oil pan. I give it 50/50.

I did end up with the 127450 cams and limiters. I love them . . . lopey idle but just smooth enough to be "as stock" easy to drive at low RPMs. I can't compare the pull above 4000 RPMs - as the entire setup is new and don't have a comparison.

Brenspeed has been hit or miss, and that has tainted me some . . . the leaking gaskets were not the only JV move with this motor. While it's turning out fine, I can't say I'd do it again if I had a time machine.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the cam info. I'll probably do the same.

Speed shops are a weird thing. They typically start out with one passionate guy who does awesome work. Everyone likes him. Word gets out. He becomes backlogged and needs to expand. Thats when things can go bad. Its hard to find guys who will do the same high quality work at a reasonably fast pace. Many of the young guys just don't have the work ethic and experience needed. While many of the old guys are just burned out and get sloppy. Its hard work. If the only real issues are details that you can fix, then I would try to let it go. As long as the motor is strong and durable, consider it a win.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
So, I went ahead and changed the oil pan gasket today. I figured the pan gasket is easy with the BMR k-member, so why not be sure.

Except it wasn't easy. It was a hellacious PITA. I pulled the steering rack forward and out of the way, but there was still no way to get the pan out without lifting the motor .... a lot. Like a solid 2 inches. Made me really nervous I was going to hurt something, and I'm thankful I have a lift, cause I can't imagine doing that on my back.

Don't know if it was the 1/2" lower mounts on the k-member or the Brenspeed motor or what. But, it was NOT easy as advertised with the BMR K.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back