S197 Brake Tech Q&A with an FRPP Engineer

Thevesh

Reaction score
Ok, I have found where they sell FORD MUSTANG FR500 M-2353-A. Can anyone link me to where I can get the GT500 HCU? Is there something else needed in order to make that work?

Thanks,
Jan

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to just disable the abs for road racing (and then enable it for daily driving)?

o0Dan0o

forum member
Reaction score
Great info, thanks a ton for posting it!

Our traction control is pretty worthless anyway. I'll never understand why ford doesn't use our wonderful throttle by wire in the TC system. If the rear wheels spin, throttle back, makes sense to me...
Dan

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
Great info, thanks a ton for posting it!

Our traction control is pretty worthless anyway. I'll never understand why ford doesn't use our wonderful throttle by wire in the TC system. If the rear wheels spin, throttle back, makes sense to me...
Dan

Ford does use it in the traction control system. If you keep your foot down and the rear brakes don't stop the wheel spin, the throttle is reduced too.

ixtlan

Reaction score
It sure is.
I had an occasion some winters ago where I was at idle RPM and foot on the floor.
(Snow plowing through a slush bank on ice.)

o0Dan0o

forum member
Reaction score
I mean that it should be the first option, not the second...

Ford does use it in the traction control system. If you keep your foot down and the rear brakes don't stop the wheel spin, the throttle is reduced too.

It sure is.
I had an occasion some winters ago where I was at idle RPM and foot on the floor.
(Snow plowing through a slush bank on ice.)

That does sound like a lot of fun!
Dan

ixtlan

Reaction score
It took me by surprise.
I turned off the TC and spun on through the slush.
Live and Learn.

rebus

"seeker"
Reaction score
According to the service manual, replacing the HCU requires special equipment. A VCM and a WDS. Unless there is a way around this, it looks like a dealer install. The parts alone for the module and valve are over $1,000 retail, or $700.00 jobber price. I've been happy with the Brembo / GT ABS, and booster combo on the street with 255x45x18's. No unusual behavior. Panic stops, and wet / slippery surfaces are all handled just like stock. In fact, other than a firm pedal from the braided lines, I hardly notice them at normal street speeds. High speed braking feels much better by the seat of the pants, and no more hot spots on the rotors coming down the mountain.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
According to the service manual, replacing the HCU requires special equipment. A VCM and a WDS. Unless there is a way around this, it looks like a dealer install. The parts alone for the module and valve are over $1,000 retail, or $700.00 jobber price.

Yes, there is special equipment required to cycle the ABS and purge everything. I just swapped my HCU's in the dealer parking lot and stuck a "No brakes!" note on the steering wheel. Cost was about $160 if I'm not mistaken.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
According to the service manual, replacing the HCU requires special equipment. A VCM and a WDS. Unless there is a way around this, it looks like a dealer install. The parts alone for the module and valve are over $1,000 retail, or $700.00 jobber price. I've been happy with the Brembo / GT ABS, and booster combo on the street with 255x45x18's. No unusual behavior. Panic stops, and wet / slippery surfaces are all handled just like stock. In fact, other than a firm pedal from the braided lines, I hardly notice them at normal street speeds. High speed braking feels much better by the seat of the pants, and no more hot spots on the rotors coming down the mountain.

I don't think any of us are worried about how the combo performs on the street.

Red06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, there is special equipment required to cycle the ABS and purge everything. I just swapped my HCU's in the dealer parking lot and stuck a "No brakes!" note on the steering wheel. Cost was about $160 if I'm not mistaken.

I've been told that the shade tree mechanic's solution is to find a dirt road and do a number of panic stops to cycle the HCU. Bleed and repeat. YMMV...

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
I've been told that the shade tree mechanic's solution is to find a dirt road and do a number of panic stops to cycle the HCU. Bleed and repeat. YMMV...

I've heard that as well, and no one touches my car but me if I can help it; but it was worth it to me to know it was done by the book. Installing a completely dry HCU means there's a lot of air in there..

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back