Thinking of having my Whipple Ported ??

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I'm sure it was a whole lot cheaper than buying the aftermarket elbow though but I don't think there would be any reason to do this unless your close to topping out the output of the blower correct?

Any airflow improvement pre blower will be a gain. Will you be able to measure it? Tough to say.

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
You could measure the restriction by putting a gauge in the rear inlet. I there is a fitting to tee into already your all set. Kenne Bell states 1" Hg restriction on the inlet is 32hp.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
You could measure the restriction by putting a gauge in the rear inlet. I there is a fitting to tee into already your all set. Kenne Bell states 1" Hg restriction on the inlet is 32hp.

They should know. They are responsible for some of the most restrictive inlets ever!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
FWIW a larger TB will help on a 2.3 Whipple. The problem is getting one that will fit on a 3v. The FRPP 62mm fits and works well. I gained enough to matter but I can't remember how much right now. I want to say it was close to 20/20 but it's been awhile.

Ok I just looked it up. The only difference between these two dynos is the 62mm FRPP TB. Looks like the gains were 21/12rwhp/tq and 1psi.

Back@itagain

forum member
Reaction score
I just ran across this thread and wanted to add a little more to the topic. I ended up taking my elbow one step further to try and "smooth" airflow into the rotors. I used Deccon aluminum putty to fill the void left in the corner of the elbow right behind the throttle bottle where all the 3 vacuum ports are.

Before pouring, I filled the existing ports with candle wax to prevent the putty from leaking out and this way they would still be functional if I wanted them later. I only needed the one port so it was easy to drill out the putty once it dried and then clean up the threads. I also opened up the manifold where it meets the cylinder heads to reduce the tumble effect into the cylinder heads. My heads are a set of Livernois/FRPP heads that were way overcut and compromised the gasket.

I never did any A-B testing. This was more of an opportunity that presented itself while working on other projects so I went ahead and did the work. Figured it might be useful if someone was contemplating doing something similar.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 25

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I just ran across this thread and wanted to add a little more to the topic. I ended up taking my elbow one step further to try and "smooth" airflow into the rotors. I used Deccon aluminum putty to fill the void left in the corner of the elbow right behind the throttle bottle where all the 3 vacuum ports are.

Before pouring, I filled the existing ports with candle wax to prevent the putty from leaking out and this way they would still be functional if I wanted them later. I only needed the one port so it was easy to drill out the putty once it dried and then clean up the threads. I also opened up the manifold where it meets the cylinder heads to reduce the tumble effect into the cylinder heads. My heads are a set of Livernois/FRPP heads that were way overcut and compromised the gasket.

I never did any A-B testing. This was more of an opportunity that presented itself while working on other projects so I went ahead and did the work. Figured it might be useful if someone was contemplating doing something similar.

I already posted pictures of your elbow and what you/Alex did to it on the first page of this thread.:thumb2:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

Were yours purchased as Livernois or FRPP? I'm asking because the Livernois branded heads have been reported with the large ports but I've never seen the ones sold as FRPP having that issue. I'm wondering if FRPP has a little tighter quality acceptance for vendor products.

Back@itagain

forum member
Reaction score
Were yours purchased as Livernois or FRPP? I'm asking because the Livernois branded heads have been reported with the large ports but I've never seen the ones sold as FRPP having that issue. I'm wondering if FRPP has a little tighter quality acceptance for vendor products.

Mine were Livernois. Belinda's were FRPP. Belinda ran a marking ink over hers but I dont think she ever mic'd hers. If you look at some of the pics in the thread that Livernois worked on getting locked or any other pics, you can usually see the marks left by the gaskets and see they encroach or are on the razors edge.

To my knowledge and best of my recollection, from being in their shop, seeing the production and speaking with employees, it was all done on the same CNC machine, same program. One is sold under Livernois the others put on a pallet and sent out to FRPP. I'm unaware of any quality controls truely conducted by FRPP (some sort of random sampling etc.). It's all about profits. FRPP is already paying Livenrois to provide a "quality" product. Odds they would pay an employee just to double check their work would be slim until complaints arose...but then again I'm not a Ford employee. Just basing my opinions off my observations and a strong dose of reality.

And just to add to the QC question/problem solving, if FRPP were doing their own QC, then why wasn't this ever resolved before? Why was the problem never identified and address until I had to find it? Questions always lead to more questions....

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Mine were Livernois. Belinda's were FRPP. Belinda ran a marking ink over hers but I dont think she ever mic'd hers. If you look at some of the pics in the thread that Livernois worked on getting locked or any other pics, you can usually see the marks left by the gaskets and see they encroach or are on the razors edge.

To my knowledge and best of my recollection, from being in their shop, seeing the production and speaking with employees, it was all done on the same CNC machine, same program. One is sold under Livernois the others put on a pallet and sent out to FRPP. I'm unaware of any quality controls truely conducted by FRPP (some sort of random sampling etc.). It's all about profits. FRPP is already paying Livenrois to provide a "quality" product. Odds they would pay an employee just to double check their work would be slim until complaints arose...but then again I'm not a Ford employee. Just basing my opinions off my observations and a strong dose of reality.

And just to add to the QC question/problem solving, if FRPP were doing their own QC, then why wasn't this ever resolved before? Why was the problem never identified and address until I had to find it? Questions always lead to more questions....

I didn't realize that Belinda had frpp. FRPP is very good at dealing with issues. I had an issue with my frpp Whipple and they had all the info to Whipple within a day and I had Art calling me upset that frpp was in his business about the issue.

I realize that Livernois does the machining. What was going on in my mind is what do they do with products frpp sends back? I bought my cnc heads as frpp just because I know that they will take care of any issues.

I seem to remember Belinda dealing with livernois. They were the ones who addressed her issues and said it was all good when it obviously wasn't. IIRC they said it was because of the KB manifold? That was also on modular fords wasn't it?

Back@itagain

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't realize that Belinda had frpp. FRPP is very good at dealing with issues. I had an issue with my frpp Whipple and they had all the info to Whipple within a day and I had Art calling me upset that frpp was in his business about the issue.

I realize that Livernois does the machining. What was going on in my mind is what do they do with products frpp sends back? I bought my cnc heads as frpp just because I know that they will take care of any issues.

I seem to remember Belinda dealing with livernois. They were the ones who addressed her issues and said it was all good when it obviously wasn't. IIRC they said it was because of the KB manifold? That was also on modular fords wasn't it?

Belinda had a thread on Modular Fords but also chimed in on the Caveat Emptor thread that blew up on this site also. Livernois did respond because they do a decent job at damage control. Dan Millen was also pretty upset calling me asking me if I wanted him to lose the FRPP contract but all that arose after a long list of problems with his shop which I think was fairly and accurately depicted in that same thread. At the end of the day, it all comes down to money. I have no idea what happens if/when FRPP returns heads to Livernois. I do know the implications of thousands of cylinder heads over cut and/or assembled with bad valve seal/valve guide clearances already sold and installed on cars all over....$$$$$$$.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Belinda had a thread on Modular Fords but also chimed in on the Caveat Emptor thread that blew up on this site also. Livernois did respond because they do a decent job at damage control. Dan Millen was also pretty upset calling me asking me if I wanted him to lose the FRPP contract but all that arose after a long list of problems with his shop which I think was fairly and accurately depicted in that same thread. At the end of the day, it all comes down to money. I have no idea what happens if/when FRPP returns heads to Livernois. I do know the implications of thousands of cylinder heads over cut and/or assembled with bad valve seal/valve guide clearances already sold and installed on cars all over....$$$$$$$.

Didn't that thread get closed down or something?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back