Valve spring removal tool - buy this one not that one

Mojo88

Reaction score
So I'm chasing a ticking noise in my 2010 4.6 3v. One thing lead to another, and I ended up doing a complete laundry list of parts (timing chains, phasers, rockers, lifters, new timing cover). I just got done installing new valve seals, and I tested each valve spring for proper pressure while I had them out.

This work is all being done with engine in car, so it's a real chore. Getting the valve springs out was a challenge. At first, I attempted to use the goofy-looked ARES tool shown in bottom pic below. I had no luck using that tool, it was VERY frustrating and annoying. I think my car might have Comp valve springs, so that was maybe part of the trouble. The ARES tool would not compress the spring down far enough, and was just all-around difficult to use at all.

I shopped around and ended up buying a PQY tool, and WOWWWWW, what a difference. It worked slicker than shite. A real pleasure to use. If any of you guys are gonna tackle valve spring work with engine in car, the PQY tool is the only way to go.
PQY-Tool1.jpg

PQY-Tool2.jpg

ARES-Tool1.jpg

JC SSP

Reaction score
Good to know… I have a feeling I will be doing this in the next few years.

Back