You are not going to believe what I pulled out of my muffler...

deputyperk

forum member
Reaction score
meh, i know its seems hard to swallow, but this is what a federal government emmisions testing manager has told me and confirmed through a government website.

Boozshey

Reaction score
yeah and it's still something you keep talking about and have not proven anything. And again it's for MD not the entire nation that you are talking about.

deputyperk

forum member
Reaction score
i am talking about MD and other states/areas but like i said before when i get that info from him again ill be glad to post it up.

darkstar november

magical turning mustang
Reaction score
the economic cost of re creating an infrastructure for emissions testing in a state that has not had ot for 10+ years would be immense, besides as i said, the emissions areas are based on atmospheric pollution in a given area, coastal states like fl that have a constant sea breeze are free and clear bc the amount of pollution in the air is so low bcof the breeze.

the federal emissions guy told you that bc hes a federal emissions guy and they get a hard on for trying to impose emissions testing all over

Murph

Senility Rocks!
Reaction score
nope wrong.

the costs of rebuilding emissions testing in non emission states would be staggering. to find out what places need testing is based off polution in the air, now ppl like me in fl are saves bc the constant ocean breeze moves the dirty air off the coast.

boo ya

NH used to use tailpipe sniffers. Now inspections are OBDII only. Don't be surprised if FL doesn't adopt. One thing the fed can do - and does it now on other regulations - is to hold back on fed funding on DOT projects of the state doesn't adopt to enforce as a min fed regulations. Inspections won't be far off - its inevitable.

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
Thats why they created band-clamps.

go to testing with your cats clamped in. go home and swap em out for a 12" piece of piping.

Problem? i don't see one. what is 1-2 hours of work in your garage...

deputyperk

forum member
Reaction score
Thats why they created band-clamps.

go to testing with your cats clamped in. go home and swap em out for a 12" piece of piping.

Problem? i don't see one. what is 1-2 hours of work in your garage...

YUP. if i had time to do that in my busy life i would just go that route. my job has me busy wayyy to much.

deputyperk

forum member
Reaction score
the federal emissions guy told you that bc hes a federal emissions guy and they get a hard on for trying to impose emissions testing all over

that guy was my cousin, he ran an off road H on his fox he used to own and his new car i no where close to passing emmisions. he really doesnt care about that stuff, he just informed me of upcoming changes.

deputyperk

forum member
Reaction score
the economic cost of re creating an infrastructure for emissions testing in a state that has not had ot for 10+ years would be immense, besides as i said, the emissions areas are based on atmospheric pollution in a given area, coastal states like fl that have a constant sea breeze are free and clear bc the amount of pollution in the air is so low bcof the breeze.

i would agree with that, as it seems plausable, but i know here in MD and in NJ (east coast beaches as well) theyare even more strict, and our beaches are no where near crowded as the citys in these states so what you explain would not hold true to MD and NJ, as far as other states on the easy coast, SC, NC, Delaware, NY, maine, and a few others i am not aware of how strict they are, atually i think NY is pretty strict too. only state on east coast i know has easy parts of emmisions is some parts of maine. a friend has his 97 s-10 tagged there and has a carbed 383 tagged there and still pases emmisions eveytime (he has no odb port even in the truck lol)

bullitt boy

Reaction score
Got rid of my Kooks hi flow this morning. Pypes O/R H pipe direct bolt on.

deputyperk

forum member
Reaction score
good to know the pypes is a direct bolt on.... i guess that means pypes will work on jba long tubes as well then

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just asking - Is there a specific reason you're touching the catalytic converter media without wearing gloves and I assume not wearing a respirator? I was always under the impression that was a known carcinogen.

The catalytic converter consists of several components:

1.The core, or substrate. The core is often a ceramic honeycomb in modern catalytic converters, but stainless steel foil honeycombs are also used. The honey-comb surface increases the amount of surface area available to support the catalyst, and therefore is often called a "catalyst support". The ceramic substrate was invented by Rodney Bagley, Irwin Lachman and Ronald Lewis at Corning Glass, for which they were inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2002.

2.The washcoat. A washcoat is used to make converters more efficient, often as a mixture of silica and alumina. The washcoat, when added to the core, forms a rough, irregular surface, which has a far greater surface area than the flat core surfaces do, which then gives the converter core a larger surface area, and therefore more places for active precious metal sites. The catalyst is added to the washcoat (in suspension) before being applied to the core.

3.The catalyst itself is most often a precious metal. Platinum is the most active catalyst and is widely used. It is not suitable for all applications, however, because of unwanted additional reactions and/or cost. Palladium and rhodium are two other precious metals used. Platinum and rhodium are used as a reduction catalyst, while platinum and palladium are used as an oxidization catalyst. Cerium, iron, manganese and nickel are also used, although each has its own limitations. Nickel is not legal for use in the European Union (due to reaction with carbon monoxide). Copper can be used everywhere except North America, where its use is illegal due to the formation of dioxin.

Not sure what material Kooks uses in their HFC's.

Most high flow cats are made from Stainless Steel honeycomb coated with ceramic.

Cats used on our cars are not made with anything that is harmful if touched.
in some cats Ceramic fibers are used as insulation materials and are a significant ... Ceramic blankets are used as insulation for some catalytic converters

Ceramic fibers are​
reasonably anticipated to be human carcinogens based
on sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity in experimental animals
(IARC 1988). When administered by inhalation, rats of both sexes
showed a significant increase in the incidence of benign and malignant
tumors of the lung.
No adequate human studies of the relationship between exposure

to ceramic fibers and human cancer were found (IARC 1988).

deputyperk

forum member
Reaction score
Most high flow cats are made from Stainless Steel honeycomb coated with ceramic.

well said except for one comment. most high flow cats on the market use all ceramic substrate, unless noted, the metal cores use the metal honeycomb, but both substrates share the bathing of precious metals.

the manufacter i use to work for that help produce a few for the products they sold didnt prefer the metal units as much. when the metal units would melt and go bad, they usually crated a plug or wall in the exhaust path, this makes a motor go kaboom.

ceramic ones usually break apart and crumble up, blowing out the muffer.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
What are the symptoms before these go? Is there any warning? I have had Kooks High flos on mine for over a year no issues or codes but how do I check this?

Yes, you'll notice when you start your car it only steams out of one tail pipe. You may also be throwing a code. I dont know if it could get any better than that.

pics, just in case you missed them.

Catinthetailpipe007.jpg

Catinthetailpipe008.jpg

Catinthetailpipe009.jpg

Last edited:

bullitt boy

Reaction score
Hard to see how anything would flow through that. Glad I got rid of mine.

deputyperk

forum member
Reaction score
all cars steam in the cold when you start them up, thats not a real good sign.

they steam from the condensation in the pipes.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I simply will not take a chance with using Kooks. That shit could cause your engine to fail. If I had even just bought them and put them on, I would immediately remove them and buy something different. Go sell them on one of those shitty Mustang forums and call it good.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The sign is a lack of steam coming out of one pipe!!!!!

No codes were thrown on mine but there was steam out of one pipe and zero out of the other.....so I put my hand over the passenger side and there was almost a suction vice flow.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, you'll notice when you start your car it one steams one of one tail pipe. You may also be throwing a code. I dont know if it could get any better than that.

pics, just in case you missed them.

Catinthetailpipe007.jpg

Catinthetailpipe008.jpg

Catinthetailpipe009.jpg

FWIW my cat guts looked nothing like that.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back