2011 Gt First rwhp dyno test

Gene K

forum member
Reaction score
Was the 412 HP an SAE certified rating by Ford?

Yes it is SAE J1349 Certified. I found the SAE Paper. This does make it less likely that the car is over rated as that is a very difficult certification to fudge.

It was actually certified for both 91 AKI (96 RON) and 98 RON. Im guessing the later was for the European Market.

I have not bought the actual papers (Their are 4 counting both certifications and Level 1 and 2) so I have not seen that actual curves and output.

Last edited:

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
i dont understand why this is so hard to believe. i can understand being a skeptic, because i know i am, however we all know car manufacturers' have inflated hp numbers.
remember the LS1 cars? "305 hp", yet they dynoed 300 rwhp bone stock.

Gene K

forum member
Reaction score
i dont understand why this is so hard to believe. i can understand being a skeptic, because i know i am, however we all know car manufacturers' have inflated hp numbers.
remember the LS1 cars? "305 hp", yet they dynoed 300 rwhp bone stock.

The difference is SAE J1349 which didnt exist when the LS1 was designed.
This requires an independent observer and all data collected during the dyno run goes to the SAE.
It seems to me it would be somewhat tough to fool this test.
That is unless the engine was a ringer that was intentionally detuned (which I doubt).

Based on what data I have been able to gather these are the output figures of the 5.0 during the J1349 certification test.

91 RON (87 AKI)- 406/381
98 RON (93 AKI)- 416/394

You are allowed a +/- 1% deviation so Ford chose to rate the engine at:

87 AKI (R+M/2) 402/377
91 AKI (R+M/2) 412/390

Im still somewhat baffled by the use of 98 RON during the Premium Fuel Test.

While I was intially leaning toward the engine being underated I know believe that othe than the small amount noted above its simply a "happy" dyno.

My vote is for 366 rwhp average on a dynojet.

Last edited:

Dr Wu

Faraway
Reaction score
Yes it is SAE J1349 Certified. I found the SAE Paper. This does make it less likely that the car is over rated as that is a very difficult certification to fudge.

It was actually certified for both 91 AKI (96 RON) and 98 RON. Im guessing the later was for the European Market.

I have not bought the actual papers (Their are 4 counting both certifications and Level 1 and 2) so I have not seen that actual curves and output.

That answers it.

Since you are into this, check these two:

This is 470 GT/CS's dyno posted yesterday at 10:19pm
mustang_dyno-thumb-717x477.jpg

icon7.gif
MY stock E92 M3 dyno
The torque curve is so flat that I was amazed by it. The car keeps making power even after redline! I will post another dyno chart with pulley, intake, exhaust, and software installed. Those mods should be done in about 2 weeks! :thumb:

Note the torque numbers aren't the peak numbers. The dyno graph is uncorrected, with SAE corrected the car made about 10rwhp less.
cid_15627521630042008-2D7E.jpg

Last edited:

05yellowgt

Reaction score
The difference is SAE J1349 which didnt exist when the LS1 was designed.
This requires an independent observer and all data collected during the dyno run goes to the SAE.
It seems to me it would be somewhat tough to fool this test.
That is unless the engine was a ringer that was intentionally detuned (which I doubt).

Based on what data I have been able to gather these are the output figures of the 5.0 during the J1349 certification test.

91 RON (87 AKI)- 406/381
98 RON (93 AKI)- 416/394

You are allowed a +/- 1% deviation so Ford chose to rate the engine at:

87 AKI (R+M/2) 402/377
91 AKI (R+M/2) 412/390

Im still somewhat baffled by the use of 98 RON during the Premium Fuel Test.

While I was intially leaning toward the engine being underated I know believe that othe than the small amount noted above its simply a "happy" dyno.

My vote is for 366 rwhp average on a dynojet.
Do you have a link to said article that you could share? Does it show info on what RPM the testing was carried out to?

Tucker

forum member
Reaction score
Keep in mind this is the same place that showed a video of a 2010 GT500 putting down 510 RWHP
NOT!
I hope it is true as we have one on order, but I'd expect 365-370 RWHP

Jay

o0Dan0o

forum member
Reaction score
It's not too hard to believe, though it probably is a bit generous. Remember that 1 point of compression adds ~10% to your power numbers (makes 350 hp more like 385). Remember also that they got peak numbers at 6600 RPM and the the torque numbers weren't that big, you have to rev it to make all that power. Given the same torque you make 10% more power at 6600 rpm compared to 6000.

With bolt-ons and a tune most 3v's see in the neighborhood of 320-330 rwtq, add 10% (compression bump) to that and you're around 360 rwtq. I think it's simply that this engine doesn't run out of steam until 7k or so, meaning you have to throw out some of the old rules.
Dan

Last edited:

Mick Mach

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I hope Ford claimed 412hp for us to save some coin on insurance. Ford has always underrated their engines. would you rather tell your agent you have 412hp or 425?
as far as my insurance co goes they know I have 300 :)

o0Dan0o

forum member
Reaction score
I always lived by the 3-4% increase in power for a 1 point raise of compression.

You know, now that I look more closely, that's what a lot of others tend to believe. Probably should have double check that before I posted, heh.
Dan

k_aimone

forum member
Reaction score
Ford has been known to low ball numbers, find me a 03-04 stock cobra that doesnt not lay down better than 350. that number sounds high, but i am sure that there was a ton of corvette websites that were saying the same thing bout termis about 7rs ago.

one way or another we may be seeing the best mustang ever provided to us by ford.

when i say that, i mean a car that gives great performance that anybody can afford.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Most Dynojets have a 180mph or 200mph rating, so that shouldn't too much of a problem I wouldn't think.

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
Just an example, Livernois got their supercharged project mustang close to 200 MPH on their dyno.

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
I agree, it's just hard not to debate about it when the car is so anticipated, plus the 4.6 3v has been out for 6 years now so it's kind of hard to keep interested in discussing it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back