2011 Gt First rwhp dyno test

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
that vid had to have tampered numbers. as cool as it would be that would seem massively underated. motortrends numbers seem more realistic, at around 435 flywheel HP i think they figured

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
jizzinmypants14.jpg

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
I'm going to agree. with 3.31 gears, 7k rev, that puts the car at 166. However the computer governs the car to 140 something. Therefore you cant dyno the car in 5th.

F00Mustang

Goes from a dig
Reaction score
I thought I remembered reading that this engine is designed to run on 87octane. If they threw in 91 or 93 for the dyno, it could explain the difference.

smoken1986

forum member
Reaction score
It can run on 87 but it does not make the rated 412hp its rated at like 385hp (or something close to that) on 87.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
Care to explain? Perhaps a link?

The 5.0 has seperate cams for intake and exhaust valves. Through the VCT system they use, the ecu can and does manipulate the compression ration of the valves. I'm not sure how low the valves can make the cr go but, the lower the compression ratio the lower the hp it will make. So, if you use 93 it should be able to run the advertised 11.? cr and to get more hp than on 87.

Cliff notes:
As I understand it, the ECU can manipulate the cr b/c of the 4 cams.

hawkeye18

omgwtfbbq
Reaction score
The 5.0 has seperate cams for intake and exhaust valves. Through the VCT system they use, the ecu can and does manipulate the compression ration of the valves. I'm not sure how low the valves can make the cr go but, the lower the compression ratio the lower the hp it will make. So, if you use 93 it should be able to run the advertised 11.? cr and to get more hp than on 87.

Cliff notes:
As I understand it, the ECU can manipulate the cr b/c of the 4 cams.

Indeed. There is a huge difference between a static CR and a dynamic CR. Closing the exhaust valve late can get you a really, really low DCR (I wouldn't think 5 or 6:1 is unreasonable), as can opening the intake valve late. It's simply amazing what you can do with individual control of the cams.

Another benefit is internal EGR. By simply closing the exhaust valve early during highway cruising, you will trap some exhaust gas in the cylinder, which will mix with the intake air on the next stroke. It's sheer genius, and allows Ford not to have to use an external EGR system, which saves money, parts, space, and complexity. Wunderbar!

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
These are the dumbest threads on the planet. Ranks right up there with billet radio knob installation threads.

Reaction score
Care to explain? Perhaps a link?

mmmm, The cam position isn't the only thing that is going on here..

Remember the 2008 bullits, these had what was called "adaptive knock sensors". Which means the knock sensors "learned" what could be added for ignition timing to compensate for fuel quality.
Why did the bullit get the technology? Why not, what a better place to test such an idea, in the actual market.
So ford takes what they learned, applies a lot more technology to it (3 years of advancement) and applies it again to the new 11's

Does anyone here besides me know that the vehicles that are tested by the press are not "production line" vehicles? That these vehicles are hand picked by ford to be "test cars". Meaning that these are cream of the crop, hand picked units, these units are tested usually in a few hours with fuel that may likely be supplied by ford...

I expect a car to be in my hands within the next week or so, It will be driven directly from the dealer, nearly off the truck, into my shop and directly on the dyno. In fact I may video the whole process as we are less than 1 mile from the dealership......and it may make good vid.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
I expect a car to be in my hands within the next week or so, It will be driven directly from the dealer, nearly off the truck, into my shop and directly on the dyno. In fact I may video the whole process as we are less than 1 mile from the dealership......and it may make good vid.
Not to play Devil's Advocate here but is that fair either, Mike? Car is not broken in, engine hasn't sealed yet, driveline is still tight.......

Do you want absolute brand-frickin' new numbers or more "representative" numbers from a properly broken in car? Unless you plan to do that later anyway.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
So, Lethal Performance pretty much dyno'd their '11 right from the dealer last week. The numbers seem to be about inline with what everyone was expecting, although theirs was on a Mustang dyno (369 rwh), which arguably puts it roughly on par with Motortrends numbers from the dynojet.

Reaction score
Not to play Devil's Advocate here but is that fair either, Mike? Car is not broken in, engine hasn't sealed yet, driveline is still tight.......

Do you want absolute brand-frickin' new numbers or more "representative" numbers from a properly broken in car? Unless you plan to do that later anyway.

Agreed, but this car will spend plenty of time on the dyno, there is going to be so much to learn on these things. Our 05 went from a dealer in MI, on the trailer home, around the block twice on the dyno for weeks.
Keep in mind that the dealer will likely have the thing full of 87 octane house fuel too.

TexStang

Reaction score
I'm going to agree. with 3.31 gears, 7k rev, that puts the car at 166. However the computer governs the car to 140 something. Therefore you cant dyno the car in 5th.
pretty sure someone already did a dyno in the correct gear with no problem

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back