4.6L 3V Exhaust Only Dyno - Charts & Video

JCON

forum member
Reaction score
There was a mobile dyno in town last Saturday (4/20/13) at the Pepboys Car Show so I put my car on. The car's only performance changes are: Mac longtubes, Mac ProChamber, Bassani Race mufflers, and 4.10 gears.

The car was dynoed with just 4.10 gears and 87 octane last year (4/21/12) to get a baseline. Stock numbers were 270 RWHP and 292 RWTQ. Dyno below:

529337_10100518964547794_111424761_n.jpg

It was then dyno'ed with the above mentioned parts installed and 87 octane again. With exhaust, numbers were 283 RWHP and 296 RWTQ. Dyno below:

11856_10100993252361214_1326705148_n.jpg

Below is a table of the changes in performance. I made a mistake in the most recent dyno in not having them start at the same RPM so the data is not as accurate as it could be below 3000rpms but, the basic story is yes, I lost some low end torque but were the runs to start at the same time, I would expect it to be single or low double digit losses (not 30% as pictured).

1010313_10101093589699384_65628359_n.jpg

I picked up peak gains of 13rwhp and 4rwtq. Non-peak max gains were 14.51rwhp and 14.41rwtq. The average was 3.4% gain in power across the rpm band from 2,700 to 6,100 rpms.

Here are both runs plotted together:

934941_10101093553377174_494890788_n.jpg

I knew that most of us knew that a full exhaust isn't going to post major gains by itself but it is a building block for a stronger car. Before now, I never could find a dyno on just these parts (mostly because it just isn't very cost efficient to do a dyno after each round of mods) but here is the proof I was waiting for. So for all of you in the future, you should be able to better determine where to spend money and what to expect from it. Using a 91-93 octane tune would have likely netted me another 5rwhp and 5rwtq but I just remembered that I didn't even think to switch it (although not sure how great a canned 93 tune would have been).

The next round will be Steeda Charge Motion Delete Plates, Steeda Under Drive Pulleys, WMS High Velocity Intake, and an 87 and 93 octane tune.

Here is the exhaust only dyno video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnOyQDY6-zI

Last edited:

fnfast

forum member
Reaction score
Nice numbers and sounds great!! I have the same exhaust set up I have recently installed along with cmdp and a brenspeed 93 tune. I haven't dynoed it but I could tell it has a greater throttle response and I love how this exhaust setup sounds!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Nice comparisons. FYI you could skip the udp and put that money toward something else like cams or whatever else is on your list. Since you already have the headers hot rods should give you 30+rwhp with a tune. I've seen a number of 3v motors with long tubes, cai, tune, and hot rods make 330rwhp. It's just a suggestion, everyone has their own ideas of what they want and how to get there. Seriously though, the udp are a waste of money imo.

JCON

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! The Bassani's sound 10x better than the Boomtubes, although the Boomtubes sound absolutely nasty. I got the Steeda UDP's and CMDP's for $200 together so I didn't turn it down. My plan is to do FRPP cams but that will be in the future (paying for a wedding and house this year). Def made a noticeable difference and I am happy I can dyno along the way to give people the most comprehensive look at mods that I can (since I couldn't find it when I was doing my build list). Excited to see what the other parts and a 93 tune will do.

Did (3) 45mph pulls to 120 with a 2002 Pontiac SLP Firehawk and we were dead even the entire way each time. Looking forward to pulling away after my next round of mods :) The one we did from a dig, my 4.10's ate him alive.

JCON

forum member
Reaction score
Can a moderator please move this to the 2005 Tech Forum?

JCON

forum member
Reaction score
I do enjoy roasted marshmallows and yes for everyone who is not or does not plan to go FI, this is what you can expect. 05Stroker, I'm not sure if you're missing something or not.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I do enjoy roasted marshmallows and yes for everyone who is not or does not plan to go FI, this is what you can expect. 05Stroker, I'm not sure if you're missing something or not.

I guess I am, its hard to tell, is this a 13 rwhp gain from with exhaust mods from one dyno to another at different times of the year and conditions?

If so, how can you even be sure there is a gain?

JCON

forum member
Reaction score
I guess I am, its hard to tell, is this a 13 rwhp gain from with exhaust mods from one dyno to another at different times of the year and conditions?

If so, how can you even be sure there is a gain?

Both dynos saw about the same use so I expect their drums and bearings to be roughly the same in friction/tension. Additionally, the first was done on April 21, 2012 and the second on April 21, 2013. The change in atmospheric conditions is neutralized by the SAE correction factor, that's why it exists. Second, have you ever seen a stock 2005 GT put down 283 rwhp? Third, the gains are as expected so I assumed they are correct. Fourth, the recorded gain is definitely felt by the butt dyno especially mid-high RPMS. Fifth, I out ran a lightly modded 2002 SLP FireHawk which a stock GT isn't going to do (that I am aware of) from a dig and tied him on three rolling starts. Sixth, if the gain was due to a difference in dyno's or weather conditions, why did horsepower increase 4.8% peak but torque only increased 1.3%, should the % change have been the same? Finally, before the exhaust, I wasn't able to lay good tracks through an intersection, now I can. I assumed it was a power increase since it was done right before the exhaust and right after.

You can be skeptical if you want, but it's good enough for me to accept as fact.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Both dynos saw about the same use so I expect their drums and bearings to be roughly the same in friction/tension. Additionally, the first was done on April 21, 2012 and the second on April 21, 2013. The change in atmospheric conditions is neutralized by the SAE correction factor, that's why it exists. Second, have you ever seen a stock 2005 GT put down 283 rwhp? Third, the gains are as expected so I assumed they are correct. Fourth, the recorded gain is definitely felt by the butt dyno especially mid-high RPMS. Fifth, I out ran a lightly modded 2002 SLP FireHawk which a stock GT isn't going to do (that I am aware of) from a dig and tied him on three rolling starts. Sixth, if the gain was due to a difference in dyno's or weather conditions, why did horsepower increase 4.8% peak but torque only increased 1.3%, should the % change have been the same? Finally, before the exhaust, I wasn't able to lay good tracks through an intersection, now I can. I assumed it was a power increase since it was done right before the exhaust and right after.

You can be skeptical if you want, but it's good enough for me to accept as fact.
As long as your but dyno likes it, I do too. We just don't get many threads on here about these kind of gains. If you are happy then so am I. I really meant no disrespect. :beerchug2:

JCON

forum member
Reaction score
We just don't get many threads on here about these kind of gains.

The reason I posted it is because no one has any threads about exhaust only gains. Not here, Mustangforums, Mustang Collective, or Stangnet. Now you said these types of gains, are you thinking they're high? I thought they were spot on. Expected 10-15 rwhp gain at the peak and an over all noticeable gain from mid to upper RPMs.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
The reason I posted it is because no one has any threads about exhaust only gains. Not here, Mustangforums, Mustang Collective, or Stangnet. Now you said these types of gains, are you thinking they're high? I thought they were spot on. Expected 10-15 rwhp gain at the peak and an over all noticeable gain from mid to upper RPMs.

I went strait from stock to blower so IDK.

JCON

forum member
Reaction score
I wish I had one... I figure if one day I do it, my exhaust will be ready for it. I think more likely this car will remain a weekend cruiser and another car (coupe) will get the money for speed.

JCON

forum member
Reaction score
Updated the first post. Finally got the dyno runs from the shop for the baseline. Picked up an average of 3.4% based on the new more accurate dyno run (vs my old plotting of 3% gains from 2600-6100 rpms). Also significant is there wa no mid range loss which was previously plotted and resulted in a 1rwhp/tq loss for about 300 rpms in the mid range.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back