Connecting rods that are 5.933 stock, and 5.950 stroker rods.

Jerry Stoneking

Reaction score
I need to order connecting rods and pistons other than stock. I am not finding much info on this; can anybody give me the low down. I see connecting rods that are 5.933 stock, and 5.950 stroker rods. Can these rods be used with a stock crank, and stock configuration piston? And what do you get if this is done? And, what is cheapest better than stock components?

MrBhp

Reaction score
A few years ago the "thing" was to use coyote rods from the boss. They were cheap. Now all the coyotes have those rods. And not as cheap anymore. I am possibly wrong on everything I just typed. I think that third gummy is kicking in.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
A few years ago the "thing" was to use coyote rods from the boss. They were cheap. Now all the coyotes have those rods. And not as cheap anymore. I am possibly wrong on everything I just typed. I think that third gummy is kicking in.
The OEM Boss 302 forged steel rods (Ford part no. CR3Z6200B) are still an inexpensive upgrade for the 4.6 3V as well as the Gen 1 Coyote. These rods also became standard fitment on Gen 2-4 Coyote engines and are reputed to handle up to 700hp.

Jerry Stoneking said:
I need to order connecting rods and pistons other than stock. I am not finding much info on this; can anybody give me the low down. I see connecting rods that are 5.933 stock, and 5.950 stroker rods. Can these rods be used with a stock crank, and stock configuration piston? And what do you get if this is done? And, what is cheapest better than stock components?

The stock 5.933" length rods are used with stock 1.220" length pistons with a stock 4.6L crank. Longer connecting rods would require shorter pistons. If you add a stroker crank, the resultant longer crank throw would require an even shorter piston e.g. 3.750" stroke crank, 5.950" or 6.000" rod, 1.050" or 1.100" piston. A longer rod is preferred as that keeps the piston skirt further up the bore at BDC.

Last edited:

whitmanink

Reaction score
stroker rods offer longer stroke,, to my knowledge you must use a crank thats also made a a stroker.. any "kits" i see on and modmax or anyplace like that, says a stroke crank and the numbers they give arent stock , so im assuming only stock rods \ cranks , will work and only "stroker" parts will go together,, email modmax, they can tell you anything you need to know

Back