Coolant Drain & Refill - How Many Quarts Drained from Radiator?

rocky650

Reaction score
I'm a DIYer and plan to do a coolant drain and refill on my daughters 2014 V6. From your experience, how many quarts of coolant drained from the radiator when you did a drain and refill?

rocky650

Reaction score
I'm new here, but maybe I wasn't clear - I asked "how many quarts of coolant drained from the radiator". I didn't ask what's the capacity. Anyone who has done an actual coolant drain and refill would know that not 100% of the capacity is drained from the radiator.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I'm new here, but maybe I wasn't clear - I asked "how many quarts of coolant drained from the radiator". I didn't ask what's the capacity. Anyone who has done an actual coolant drain and refill would know that not 100% of the capacity is drained from the radiator.

Buy a gallon of straight coolant and a gallon of distilled water and fill it back up. If you need less complicated procedure, buy the 50/50 mix.

w_turner06

Reaction score
I just changed the coolant and bought about 3 gallons, or 3 containers, and ended up using about 2.5 of them. The procedure was harder than I thought and requires a lot of flushing. I would personally have done the following had I known what I was getting in to-

1. Pull radiator bottom cap & top coolant tank cap
2. Run engine- this is needed to fully drain coolant, don't let it get too hot (over 200 deg.), then let it cool
3. Run the water hose through- while engine still running
4. Put coolant cap back on and fill up with water completely, then add some coolant flush (one bottle). idle for 15 min.
5. repeat step 2 and fully drain car.
6. put in new coolant, dilute if needed.

I would strongly recommend parking facing downhill (when draining), and uphill (when filling), to either allow coolant to drain completely or fill completely.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back