Exhast drone help

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Went for a drive today. Turns out 2000rpm is about 45mph in 5th with 3.31 gears. I really thought mph was higher at that rpm. But, 1500 rpm would be luggy and need a downshift to get decent acceleration. I know this from past accidental experience.
That doesn't sound right. With a 3.31 axle gear, 45mph is at 1900rpm in 4th and 1300rpm in 5th.

Samos3

Reaction score
Hmm. I'm assuming I still have the 3.31 rear. Car was very stock when I bought it, no tune or anything. But...

Samos3

Reaction score
That doesn't sound right. With a 3.31 axle gear, 45mph is at 1900rpm in 4th and 1300rpm in 5th.
I stand corrected. I checked in several gears and didn't remember right. This morning, making sure I was in 5th, your numbers are accurate.
Which brings me back to....45mph in 5th is too low of a speed/rpm. I suspect there is a very different sound at that speed.

JC SSP

Reaction score
That linking/connecting of exhaust pipe connections is common on factory BMW, Porsche, Nissans, etc. but if you look at most aftermarket performance exhaust systems most are strait through design.

My buddy owns a local muffler shop that’s been in the family for over 40 years. We both recommend mandrill bent exhaust pipe and a good performance muffler (Borla, corsa, magnaflow, etc.).

My 05’ has shortie BBK headers, custom H-pipe and stock GT mufflers. Just perfect for my application. Quiet and no drone when cruising and loud enough to know I am punching it! Lol

Fast1one

Reaction score
Stock exhaust has Helmholtz resonators. That’s really the best way to eliminate drone. Second best is probably the quarter wave resonators.

I echo others comments of adding cats. I still want to experiment with asymmetric exhaust setups. Slightly different sized mufflers on each end like Foxbodies had. Or asymmetrically placed resonators in the center before the axle and small straight through mufflers in the rear. The thought being the two sides won’t constructively add perfectly and you won’t get as much drone.

Helmholtz resonators tend to be a little too quiet and loose a bit of character.

Dadasaurus_Rex

Reaction score
Don't fall for the Pypes "resonator" tips hype. They do not fix drone. They barely do anything. I believe resonators are meant to be down stream a bit in the system not at the very end. My setup: BBK Shorty Headers, PE high flow catted mid-pipe into x-pipe, muffler delete, Pypes Resonator tips. I get drone at certain rpm ranges and quite a bit at highway speeds cruising. Manual transmission. I learned a long time ago these 4.6 modulars like mid range rpms so I run around about 2k rpm and shift at 2500 to 3000. I rarely ever go over 3k rpm but sometimes I blip it up there a bit to have a little fun.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back