Is She Dead Again Jim?

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
hahah.. I have been getting used to my new Auto on the new car. maybe I can get a PI TQ convert for it :clap:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
took all of 30 seconds to remember how much that clutch thingy sucks...
Ahh, the stock clutch in this thing is almost like an automatic anyway...

Your just having clutch envy - zombie slushbox driver...

"driver" is a stretch - your just the sack of germ filled water behind the wheel who changes the radio stations... :sleep: wake me up when we get there...

Oh and get it run like crap again and measure the voltage on the poles of the battery...

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's wierd. Took the car to work today, 70 miles round-trip, not a single problem. Then I got home and started to back the car in the driveway and there she goes again. P0340 & P0345.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's wierd. Took the car to work today, 70 miles round-trip, not a single problem. Then I got home and started to back the car in the driveway and there she goes again. P0340 & P0345.
Voltages seem reasonable, so if it is a charging system issue, it is intermittent...

If I were you - here is what I would do next:
1. leave the keys on the tire
2. run
3. change your phone number and move away...

If I were lostsoul or wanted to help lostsoul I would:

1. check the charging system over - run through the charging system diag point test (attachment 1)
2. Ask stella if you could borrow her alternator?

However, the more you describe symptoms, the more I wonder about how this seems to happen on warm starts...

So, that would lead me to start believing that the cam position sensor might really be the problem...
1. check wiring to there - run through cam position sensor point test (attachment 2)
2. check oil pressure with a real gauge?
3. what pump was used?
4. what weight oil was used?
5. I assume it was refilled after all that leaking?
6. if it only happens when you back up - stop that! Go forward...

I have to say, that very infrequently do these pinpoint test procedures lead me to the problem, but they sometimes remind you to check other things not mentioned. They all just end with "replace car" - thanks...

Attachments

• charging_test.pdf
    251.3 KB · Views: 6
  • cam_sensor_test.pdf
    56.2 KB · Views: 4

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
oh and what about those 60lb injectors without a tune?

Those would leave your fuel trim tables fubar and might run ok once (if you are lucky and not too picky about the engine running like shit), but would get even worse on a subsequent start when it tried to apply the fuel trim learned from the prior run...

I hope you are not trying to run with those and no tune adjustments for them?

Grab some 24lb'ers if so and at least remove that variable/problem...

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
oh and what about those 60lb injectors without a tune?...

I'm pretty sure that the loaded base n/a tune was set up for the current injectors/CMCV deletes/shorties. I won't swear by that for obvious reasons. Thanks for the input though... :beerdrink:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the loaded base n/a tune was set up for the current injectors/CMCV deletes/shorties. I won't swear by that for obvious reasons. Thanks for the input though... :beerdrink:
Let's hope so - what about the oil pressure? Has it been checked with something other than the "hey look at that, the car is running" ford gauge?

Failure on a warm start can be oil related (warm/thin oil)...

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL, I've been looking at the boost gauge but it doesn't do anything. Maybe because the ProCharger is in the trunk?

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL, I've been looking at the boost gauge but it doesn't do anything. Maybe because the ProCharger is in the trunk?
eh, just hook it up to the tach - the ricers won't notice...

Screamn03

Snake in the Grass
Reaction score
The way I left it there was a base tune in the car for as the car sat N/A with the ghetto fab induction setup.

Ted, did you try and load Jerry's tune? If you did then that's a big no-no, Jerry's tune isn't setup for those injectors nor that MAF location (with the way the induction is setup N/A with the combo of procharger piping).

Screamn03

Snake in the Grass
Reaction score
On a more serious note - given the notorious alternator bug and the tendency of the car to chew through a battery while sitting idle (and then burn up the alternator trying to charge it) - have you monitored the battery voltage to see if it is charging sanely?

P0345 is the cam sensor, but as Don pointed out - this has been a symptom of the charging system being FUBAR - so all the reference voltages drop and all break hells loose...
Tru dat, plus, I'm sure all that oil that made it's way in the alternator when the timing cover was leaking like mad dumping oil all over the belts didn't help it in any way.

Screamn03

Snake in the Grass
Reaction score
The way I left it there was a base tune in the car for as the car sat N/A with the ghetto fab induction setup.

Ted, did you try and load Jerry's tune? If you did then that's a big no-no, Jerry's tune isn't setup for those injectors nor that MAF location (with the way the induction is setup N/A with the combo of procharger piping).
In addition to that, if need be, if you're still gonna make it down next week to ST then I may be able to swing by Thursday mid-day to do a base tune for the procharger setup so it's driveable down to ST. I'll be in Modesto in the morning and then headed to Reno after that.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back