Modern Muscle Cars?

cdynaco

forum member
Reaction score
As mentioned in the first post, a Muscle Car is an American made car.
Many will say if it is not built in America, with American parts and by an American company... it is not a Muscle Car. The Muscle Car is supposed to embrace, pay tribute and salute American engineering as well as being considered a signature staple of the American culture. Unfortunately, that culture ended in the late 70's thanks to the EPA, ever encroaching regulatory over-reach of the political Left and either total buy outs or merging of American car companies with foreign interests, leading to a massive outsourcing of assembly and part manufacturing out of country.

Agree but with the globalists pushing one world economy for decades now, about the best we can say today is "made by an American Corporation".
Well, except Fiat/Dodge now. ;)

Me personally, I think Pony Cars are muscle cars (Muscle Car Club agrees), but they would fall on the lighter side of the category, as they were much more nimble on corners and did not have a big block motor in them, at least not in the common production vehicles. Though some limited production Mustangs had engines such as the 428ci, most cars were equipped with a 289-302..

That's how I always viewed Pony Cars.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Have any of you driven a 60-70's muscle car lately? All stock (or close). They're terrifying! I don't know how a 14-15 sec car can be so scary, but they are.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Jason who in the fuck drives anything that is stock? lol

You do make a good point sir.:highfive:

Funny story. In the early 2000's I was going to the track a lot with a friend who was older (55ish) but pretty damn fast. He rode well set up Ducati's and Honda's. When he was young he wanted a Norton Commando (the Busa of the time). So one day he sees a thoroughly mint one somewhere for sale, he has a few bucks so he buys it and has it shipped to my dealership. We unpack it, check it over and send him down the street. He comes back in about 5min, shuts the bike off and says "Now I know why they don't make them like that anymore!". Apparently it was scary as hell. And this dude can RIDE! We drained all the fluids and put it in his office where it has sat till this day.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I recently drove a 1955 Chevy Wagon (Nomad). Car runs high 14's in the 1/4. I got it to about 80 mph and wondered how I was still alive.

I may be buying a completely unmolested 65 Mustang in the next few days. Depend on if the guy comes down on price or not. Can't wait to own that car.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Have any of you driven a 60-70's muscle car lately? All stock (or close). They're terrifying! I don't know how a 14-15 sec car can be so scary, but they are.

Its been a number of years but can still remember "Floating" down the interstate when I got my 60's-70's Mustangs over about 80mph. I don't know if I have the iron balls I did as a teenager to bury the speedo on one again...

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Back in the day, muscle cars, along with the already mentioned items of big engines, 2dr, etc., had pretty bad brakes and fairly rough and simple suspensions with the option of 'heavy duty' rough and simple suspensions. You didn't dare take corners at speed in them and you better hang on for dear life even going straight. The latency of the reciprocating ball steering along with the loose tolerances of the steering linkage almost made it a point to start your turn early so the steering system could catch up in time to make the turn. Thank God for hi-tech. Even though the Mustang, up to the '14 models still use solid, rear axles, they can turn pretty good on stock suspension. With suspension mods, they can be nearly as good as anything with irs. 8)

If you have a modern Blazer or similar American SUV, there suspensions and steering are a throw back to that era.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
How do you think Muscle Car owners would respond to a 2014 GT500 magically appearing in 1969-1970. Would they crown that car the ultimate factory stock muscle car ever?

Remeber, C3 Corvettes only had 180 HP and even less torque. A blown 650+ street car was damn near unheard of for the average person, now it seems to be the factory performance option rather than a radically modified street car.

TJL442

forum member
Reaction score

Yup, 1970 Olds 442 convertible, 455 4 speed. Drives great, just doesn't stop worth a pinch of shit 4 wheel manual drum brakes.

I love both my cars but you really can't compare the two.

Tim

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
How do you think Muscle Car owners would respond to a 2014 GT500 magically appearing in 1969-1970. Would they crown that car the ultimate factory stock muscle car ever?

Remeber, C3 Corvettes only had 180 HP and even less torque. A blown 650+ street car was damn near unheard of for the average person, now it seems to be the factory performance option rather than a radically modified street car.
Ultimate factory stock fast car, yes.

But still not a muscle car; you'd have had to have that engine in a Fairlane or a Torino. We all certainly respected the 1968 GT500 for being a powerhouse of a car, but we never called it "muscle". I was there.

Norm

hammeron

forum member
Reaction score
Muscle car and Obscene, are hard to define sometimes. but i think both are obvious, when you see it, based on your own perspective.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
Muscle cars were full sized cars , stripped down no PS, or PB, you got a heater. my first car was a 1966 Plymouth belvedere with a 426 Hemi 4 speed, 410 posi, did not turn for shit. bench seat.

but its mostly how old you are and what you grew up with

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I grew up in the late '60's and early '70's. I owned a '68 Pontiac GTO for 9 years some 30 years ago. The GTO is universally acknowledged as a classic "muscle car." I bracket raced that car every year. I also owned a 427 Nova back then, as well, so I've owned a couple of "real" muscle cars. I believe my '14 Mustang GT is every bit as much a muscle car. Heck, the '14 is quicker down the 1/4 mile than either of my "classic" muscle cars.. Sure, it's nicer equipped and it can turn/brake effectively, but still every bit as much muscle, IMO.

I also believe that the Germans, Canadians, and Aussies build some damn fine muscle cars, as well. We see them at our local drag strips from time to time (AMG's, Camaros, 2004+ GTO's, etc.). I don't care where they're built as long as they are powerful and affordable.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's like the terms "liberal" and "conservative"...the definitions change with the passing of time. Our founders, who were liberal hippies in their day, are now considered archaic, stodgy, reactionary conservatives.

Closest thing now to a "muscle car" is a Dodge Challenger or a Chevy SS. Go back 50 years, and they're luxury liners of the greatest kind.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I grew up in the late '60's and early '70's. I owned a '68 Pontiac GTO for 9 years some 30 years ago. The GTO is universally acknowledged as a classic "muscle car." I bracket raced that car every year. I also owned a 427 Nova back then, as well, so I've owned a couple of "real" muscle cars. I believe my '14 Mustang GT is every bit as much a muscle car. Heck, the '14 is quicker down the 1/4 mile than either of my "classic" muscle cars.. Sure, it's nicer equipped and it can turn/brake effectively, but still every bit as much muscle, IMO.

I also believe that the Germans, Canadians, and Aussies build some damn fine muscle cars, as well. We see them at our local drag strips from time to time (AMG's, Camaros, 2004+ GTO's, etc.). I don't care where they're built as long as they are powerful and affordable.

I'm in the same club. In the late 80's-early 90's I had a 64.5 Mustang I saved from a scrap yard and a 78 Nova coupe.

The Mustang was totaled before I bought it. I did a shit ton of work to in... but when it was done, it looked sexy as hell, had a Windsor 289 and a 3 speed manual trans out of a Galaxy.

The Gen 4 Nova had a blown motor. I got it for $500 bucks. I took out the dead 305 and 4 speed auto trans and installed a 350 with a 2 speed power glide trans.

Man, I loved both of those cars. I considered both of those cars Muscle Cars (yes, a Pony car is a type of muscle car). I really feel as though my modern Mustangs, my modern Chargers (not the 15) and modern Challengers are Muscle cars.

Like Bingo said... the definition changes with time. The original definition applies to the original era. We have similar, but new criteria vastly excepted by the majority for the modern era.

Besides, if the modern Mustang Pony Car is not a Muscle Car, then "American Muscle Dot Com" completely fucked up their marketing strategy.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
modern and original muscle car

Muscle car is a term used to refer to a variety of high-performance automobiles.[1] The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines muscle cars as "any of a group of American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving."[2] A large V8 engine is fitted in a 2-door, rear wheel drive, family-style mid-size or full-size car designed for four or more passengers. Sold at an affordable price, muscle cars are intended for street use and occasional drag racing.[3][4][5][6] They are distinct from two-seat sports cars and expensive 2+2 GTs intended for high-speed touring and road racing. Developed simultaneously in their own markets, muscle cars also emerged from manufacturers in Australia, South Africa, the United Kingdom, and elsewhere.

Last edited:

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Like many posters so far, I agree, the muscle car originated with the 64 Pontiac GTO. Take a powerfull V8, drop it into a 2dr rwd body (4 passenger vehicle,not a 2 seater). Todays Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers have powerfull V8s, stop better,handle better and in most cases accelerate better than older muscle cars. I've owned my share of GTOs, Chevelles, Trans Ams, Z28s and older fastback Mustangs and I will only own modern muscle cars. It just makes sense to me.

Back