S&H Turbo Build- Frustrations

Nasty GT

Using stuff to do things
Reaction score
Sounds like the shop is paying their overhead on you this month OP.

Did you happen to PM Jeremy Pics. of the fitment issues or start a thread to ask for help? If not this thread is pointless as the shop has apparantly diced up the piping that you recieved.

Too many of these S&H (On3) kits out there to think the setup is that far off. Also as far as these "kits" go there will always be little fitment issues as all cars are different and clearances are tight.

No such thing as a "bolt on" turbo kit if you ask me. They all take some tweaks to make them fit and every car is different so no amount of install instruction refinement is going to make the fit better. Just have to get creative.

No offense but it sounds like maybe you took on a project that was beyond yous skill level.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for ya in the end.

EDIT: Also curious what you meant in your first message when you asked the shop how bad you messed up your car? You mention the piping wouldn't fit for you but I wonder how that makes you think you messed the car up?

Last edited:

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
So....in 6 weeks you never thought to come on here and ask why shit wasn't going together?

Sounds like that shop knows your in over your head and is taking advantage of you because your out of options.....$3000 to install a kit is fukin ridiculous and I'd be asking them for a list of exactly what they did for $3k.......

Nasty GT

Using stuff to do things
Reaction score
I'd say there was definately a step skipped here.

Ask for help. Unfortunately if you do not know what T clamps are...a turbo install should not be your next project.

Sucks that the shop is hosing the OP but I guess if you don't ask you pay!

weather man

Persistence Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did the shop give any clue they were going to charge you close to $3,000 to put on? $100 for towing, $400 for injector's...25 hours at $100 an hour....yikes!

You need to post the name of the shop doing the work OP. Your fellow Canadien's need fair warning.

You should NEVER say this to a repair shop.

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 2:20 PM
To:
Subject: RE: 2005 Mustang[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Injectors should be there tomorrow. How badly did I screw my car up?[/FONT]

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
If the root of this post is the frustration, I completely understand, but Jeremy is EXTREMELY helpful and willing to go the extra mile for ANYBODY. I just hope you gave him ample opportunity to assist and evaluate before this post.

However, I hope you get it running just like you want. In the end, that's all that matters.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is the first I have heard of it after the shop has already had the car for a bit now...

Hopefully it works out but seems like the shop is taking advantage of him.

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
That seems like a high price. I would be at the shop asking some questions. What is the going labor rate for that shop?

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you needed to be more engaged on this and be sure everything is like they are saying, good luck with your car!

Memphis

I Aim to Misbehave
Reaction score
In response to above:

A) Yes I researched the hell out of this. Pestered Jeremy with so many questions I’m surprised he didn’t add me to his ignore list, he was amazingly helpful and patient with an obvious turbo neophyte. I referenced several threads, read up and asked more questions. The V-Bands thing- Not my shining moment, Jeremy sent me a great explanation that really helped.

B) Yes all the piping was loose- What was not fitting- everything was fitting wonderfully until I hit the last pipe that the turbo mounts to- there was a approximately 6” gap that could not be closed by moving piping, turning piping etc. The gap was between the right under A-arm pipe and the left under A- Arm pipe. If I tried to mount the turbo temporarily by using the Vband to attach it to the up pipe, there was a gap, I mounted it directly to the under arm pipe there was a gap in between the wastegate and the left under arm pipe. This was not something I just said screw it, it doesn’t work. I have dozens of downloaded pictures on my computer which I used to try to figure this out. Next- The pipe from the manifold to the coldside with the MAF meter in it. There was no way to fit this (Note- I am not sure if this was a combination of the height of my K-members engine mounts, and the FRPP manifold or something else) there was simply now way it was going to fit- Again I referenced several pictures and the directions. Lastly, the solid radiator hose section, not sure if this was a symptom of the manifold or what, but I could not get this to fit, either it would rub up against the manifold it would have to sit on the turbo.

C) Did I bite off more than I could chew or dive into deep? I don’t think so, it is possible though. I took my time, I asked questions etc.

D) Would the correct choice have been to pester Jeremy some more (Jeremy you have the patience of a saint by the way) maybe send the piping along with referencing pictures to S&H or to uninstall the kit and ask for a refund? Maybe. After 6 weeks without my car however, I didn’t have the time or patience for any further delay, so, yes I did jump into having a shop fix it.

E) Some have referenced the shop overcharging me. First off, I trust the shop and would have it towed somewhere else without hesitation if I didn’t, not my first trip around the block with shops. Yes the $3000 is a worst case scenario and includes dyno tuning. I chose this shop specifically because I do trust them; I know and trust the people that work there. Would I like to pay less? Sure? Do I want it done right by people I trust? Yes- SO I chose this shop. In this area $100hr is not that bad.

F) Is it possible I got a bad pipe or two? Yes. Should I have tried to get that fixed by sending piping back? Yes if I had time. Family obligations and a wife that wanted her Stang back meant I needed to get things fixed immediately.

Lastly- I will post pictures and results once I have the car back.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
you have a BMR k-member correct? Im wondering if thats why the piping would not fit. I do not have a "kit" but thier piping used to be similar to mine. and i know there would be no way to use a BMR k-member with my old piping.

Memphis

I Aim to Misbehave
Reaction score
The BMR K-Member was discussed with Kelly @ BMR and Jeremy at S&H. It required removing two gussets. That part of the piping fit fine. One of the things I have tried to figure out though is if I just have that perfect storm of different parts, the manifold, the k-member etc that led to my fitment issues.

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
The BMR K-Member was discussed with Kelly @ BMR and Jeremy at S&H. It required removing two gussets. That part of the piping fit fine. One of the things I have tried to figure out though is if I just have that perfect storm of different parts, the manifold, the k-member etc that led to my fitment issues.

I'm getting ready to install this kit this winter.
I planned on using the BMR K member
Was waiting for pics on another thread

Did this help the hot side install?
I was hoping it would allow for more clearance

Pics would be nice
Hope u get it all worked out

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear about your difficulties, in the end, I hope you have a car that performs very well. Adding some new parts/supplies, a dyno tune, and other various charges....it definitely doesn't take long to reach $3000. I would imagine they are/have removed the entire kit and, re-doing some things, then re-installing. For a shop with overhead, it will be much more expensive than having an S197 Forum member come over and "get-er-done" in the driveway while sipping Ice Cold Natties.

The BMR K-Member that Chino has, has been modified, and it has enough clearance for the turbo piping, for sure.

The "NEW" BMR-K Member design allows for increased clearance in the areas that previously hindered installation of several brand turbo kits, including the S&H, On3, and Hellion. Thankfully, due to patient BMR customers and a helping hand from the Turbo Kit makers....we were able to modify the gusseting on our K-Members so our customers do not have any issues.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes all the piping was loose- What was not fitting- everything was fitting wonderfully until I hit the last pipe that the turbo mounts to- there was a approximately 6” gap that could not be closed by moving piping, turning piping etc.

Six inches?!?!?! And you did not think it was not the right pipe? That kind of gap is not a "clearance" or "tolerance" issue. It's a they made it wrong or sent the wrong part thing.

rayS197

Reaction score
maybe you or the shop needs something like this?? :idea:
LOL!!!

big_hammer.jpg

Back