Self healing clear coat

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
.............I haven't been told exactly, and I don't know if I want to know. He just said "Man, that shit was expensive!" So I quickly changed the subject.

Shouldn't be too much!!!!

obamarainmaker4.gif

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

erat

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know how much normal clear costs, a Wanda clear was originally utilized on the car, but it is about $130.00 more per gallon than what is normal.

The product is the cheapest part of this build, so it was worth a try.

Last edited:

erat

forum member
Reaction score
This is the restof the car cut, lets see if it polishes itself out as its "healing".

787a37fb.jpg

erat

forum member
Reaction score
Yep. Nice one too, but he paid $75 and it doesn't drive. There is a nicer '67 in there, one of 3. And about 20 others yrs in different stages. A nice original AR Cuba and a GTO convertible making 535 hp., a Pantera, a $$$$$Oldsmobile. It is a vette restoration shop a buddy has. I go there and drool.

I took Ultra over there the other day swapping parts, all he could say was "wha............."

Last edited:

erat

forum member
Reaction score
Two of four new potentials

1baab1b5.jpg

095c2cf9.jpg

4da08367.jpg

Darker and candied

1e9874c9.jpg

c54b57d5.jpg

Going to try a charcoal and a different candy on Monday.

erat

forum member
Reaction score
That car has been sitting out in the open at a body shop covered in dust for over a month, wiped down with a dry rag. Not a scratch on it.

With that behavior, my previous clear would be trashed. I'm digging it.

erat

forum member
Reaction score
Soon! I am on a mission now to finish. I hope to pick my final stripe color on Monday, should be a few weeks after that.

This darker stripe is cool, but it's a little gold looking with the candy it has on top. Tomorrow they are shooting out a diluted mixture of the lighter card, another candy and a straight charcoal like what is on the car now just much darker. I hope to pick one from those samples. We will see.

erat

forum member
Reaction score
Sneak peak, she's finally getting her final stipe color next week. After 10 spray outs, I finally picked one. I was looking for a charcoal with a flop, not o blue, not to gold. It's been a real color pigment education. This will be Ford G5 on stock Ford black under a PPG self healing clear:

c4fb6fc6.jpg

on the left, (house of color mid night pearl on right)
081014e6.jpg

Looks sinister sanded to flat black:
a6287435.jpg

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
interested to see how this turns out/how you like the clear....Got to talking with my buddy and his friend both are paint and body guys and they both said they would not spray this clear ever again and it is SUPER hard to get to look slick...good luck man...Did you use the clear on those test panels???

erat

forum member
Reaction score
I'm with you, this remains to be seen. But this isn't even the final buffing, it has two-three stages left to go. And it's really clear, so far.

We were afraid the more it cured, the harder it would be to polish, (maybe it would polish itself. , haha). PPG said it would polish like normal.

bd839665.jpg

82fb0528.jpg

50ad4953.jpg

The cards are cleared with just a generic clear.

This is my old Wanda clear. Really soft, really slick and clear. Buffs like butter. Scratches really easy.

IMG_5073.jpg

870bfb95.jpg

5f728661.jpg

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
That is EXACTLY what they were saying that you don't have much time to play with it or it will cure to much and be a NIGHTMARE to buff.! goodluck man my car is going under the paper here before to long!!!

erat

forum member
Reaction score
This should be a build thread now, not a polishing thread.

My final stripe color is FINALLY on. This is color sample #15, Stripe #3 laid down on the car.

This is the first of four (4) coats of clear, to be cut and polished.

b4f3299b.jpg

ca0bdc09.jpg

4983929a.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back