Volume or Pressure???

07 Boss

Reaction score
Getting ready to do the chains and phasers and thought I should swap out the pump while I’m in there. But looking at Melling pumps and there’s basically two models. Which one should I get? Stock valve train, stg2 blower nsr cams and whipped @ 11.5 psi. Stock bottom end. 150k+ on the clock.

One says high volume and one says high pressure.

JC SSP

Reaction score
If you don’t mind. Can you post pics and anything that pops up for others planning on doing this… thx in advance.

07 Boss

Reaction score
If you don’t mind. Can you post pics and anything that pops up for others planning on doing this… thx in advance.

The pump or the timing? Done the chains and phasers before. Pretty straight forward. Helps to have the little tools like the crank turner thingy and the gear holder gadget. I’m looking for mine right now. Pump looks pretty straight forward unless you drop something in the pan. I have a tubular k-member so it’s not that big of a deal cause I think I have enough room to remove the pan if I need to.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Are you doing the rocker followers too?

Chain, tensioners and oil pump are on my to do list… any tricks or things to look out for would greatly be appreciated.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Are you doing the rocker followers too?

Chain, tensioners and oil pump are on my to do list… any tricks or things to look out for would greatly be appreciated.
No I don’t think so. Only if this clanking noise doesn’t go away. But I’ve isolated the noise to the front passenger side.

Of course I’ll give them a visual but I’m not expecting to see anything pristine with the abuse this car has taken but as long as everything is functioning I’m not gonna sweat it.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Getting ready to do the chains and phasers and thought I should swap out the pump while I’m in there. But looking at Melling pumps and there’s basically two models. Which one should I get? Stock valve train, stg2 blower nsr cams and whipped @ 11.5 psi. Stock bottom end. 150k+ on the clock.

One says high volume and one says high pressure.
I'd go with a high volume pump. The bearing clearances will be slightly increased on your high mileage engine, and a pump that puts out a higher volume will also restore oil pressure. An 80psi relief spring would do fine on an engine that's limited to 6500rpm. The most important thing is to have at least 25psi at a hot 750rpm idle.
On a higher mileage engine I'd suggest 5W-30 or even 5W-40 oil. For road racing I'd go 5W-50 to maintain adequate viscosity and film strength at sustained high rpm. Use only top quality full synthetic.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Ordered the Melling M340HV. There was no relief spring option. It listed in the specs stock 60 psi spring. Should I look for a replacement spring?

I'd go with a high volume pump. The bearing clearances will be slightly increased on your high mileage engine, and a pump that puts out a higher volume will also restore oil pressure. An 80psi relief spring would do fine on an engine that's limited to 6500rpm. The most important thing is to have at least 25psi at a hot 750rpm idle.
On a higher mileage engine I'd suggest 5W-30 or even 5W-40 oil. For road racing I'd go 5W-50 to maintain adequate viscosity and film strength at sustained high rpm. Use only top quality full synthetic.

Been running RP 5W-20 from the beginning and recently switched to 10W-30, same Royal Purple.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Ordered the Melling M340HV. There was no relief spring option. It listed in the specs stock 60 psi spring. Should I look for a replacement spring?

Been running RP 5W-20 from the beginning and recently switched to 10W-30, same Royal Purple.
I use RP 5W-30. Car is used all year long. 2010 GT, with small Roush M90 blower.

JC SSP

Reaction score
5W-30 Mobile 1 for the last 10 years with Motorcraft oil filter. Changed every year regardless of miles (avg 5,000). No issues, so far…

DBcooper

Reaction score
The difference between the M340 and the M360 is the M360 runs the higher pressure 80 psi relief spring. The 10340 is standard volume and comes with both springs. The 10340 has the housing hard coat anodized for increased durability. The 10340 comes with the high pressure 80psi spring installed in the pump and the optional 60psi spring in the box should you choose to run the M340 pressure. The 10340 would be the best option for a high rpm performance build.

DBcooper

Reaction score
That is the response I received from Melling when I ordered mine

JC SSP

Reaction score
How does the Melling compare to the Ford GT500 oil pump?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
How does the Melling compare to the Ford GT500 oil pump?
The '13-'14 GT500 oil pump has a billet steel backing plate and is both high volume and high pressure. That extra oil flow is good if you're running forced induction on your 4.6 3V as it'll provide additional cooling, but you'd also want a higher capacity oil pan (GT500 Trinity 5.8L oil pan is 8.5 quarts) to really reap the benefit.
On an N/A 3V that won't see anything over 6500rpm, that oil pump may be overkill since you won't need the extra oil pressure, though you could easily swap in an 80psi pressure relief spring. Normal oil pressure for the 4.6 3V is 75psi at 2000rpm (hot).

07 Boss

Reaction score
Well got the intake tube & TB, fan and hoses out the way this morning. Might have to remove a heater hose and fuel rail to get the passenger cover off. I can’t remember if I had this set up last time I pulled the covers off the engine.

Gotta work in the driveway so early morning hours are it for me with these 118* temps. Even now at 6:30 I’m sweating my balls off.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I think the only thing left before pulling the covers is the PS pump and battery tray. I leave the battery till last because I use it to loosen the crank bolt. Till tomorrow...

07 Boss

Reaction score
My method to loosen a stubborn crank shaft bolt. Easy peasy. Just make sure your battery is charged and blip the starter. Then unscrew by hand.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Cam lobes don’t look too bad for 160K miles (120K with cams). Everything looks pretty good under the covers.

Gave the covers a quick wipe down. Might hit it with some degreaser too.

Tomorrow the cover and chains come off. Maybe the pump too.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back