Volume or Pressure???

07 Boss

Reaction score
As far as the bolts for the tensioner. Mine failed due to lack of oil pressure. The tensioner must have have gone down and the chain started flapping away in there and sheared the bolts. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone shearing those bolts like I did without something else going wrong.

And a quick update: Due to continuing issues and being pressed for time I'm going to skip installing the pump at this time, reserving it for a time when I can be a little more casual. Yeah it's a ton more work to get in there again but I just don't have the time or resources at the moment. So I'm going to put the timing stuff in and button her back up.

07 Boss

Reaction score
What caused the lack of oil pressure?

I think it was the filter. I lost pressure after punching it on the freeway. Shut it off when I heard a noise and saw the pressure had dropped. Had it towed home. It was a little overdue (for me) and I usually do my own. Anyways a little while back I was getting a couple of tires put on I told them to go ahead and change the oil to and to use synthetic. Anyways I went ahead and drained the oil and changed the filter. The one the tire shop used was some tiny little thing. I bought a case of fram filters way back and still have a few but they are quite a bit larger. Anyways I was going to actually cut it open to check but my boy was helping and he tossed it while cleaning up. I didn't want to go through the dumpster to find it. But afterwards I fired the car up to see if there was pressure and sure enough my gauge shot up to 65-68 psi. I didn't run it for too long but pressure stayed steady. But it was making that horrific noise from the front side. I ran it a couple more times just to narrow down and diagnose. But each time the pressure looked fine. So I'm assuming it had to be the filter. Probably collapsed on itself or something but it is the only variable.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I would think it was that tensioner that came off….

Last edited:

rocknrod

Reaction score
I let an oil change shop do mine once. Got it home and the filter looked like an ATV size unit (small). Re-did everything that day. Never again.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I would think it was that tensioner that came off….

I don't think it would drop it to zero. And when I started it after the filter change I had good pressure even with the tensioner being sheared off. I think the loss of pressure caused slack in the chain and the bolts were broken from the chain flailing around.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Why use a Fram oil filter ? Use the same ones from the GT-500. Ford racing filters.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Why use a Fram oil filter ? Use the same ones from the GT-500. Ford racing filters.

No particular reason except I bought a case years ago. I probably have like 3 left. I do like the little nut built into the cover. I use a 1" wrench to remove and snug up the filter. I don't even know where my regular oil filter wrench is.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I have seen K&N with a nut, but never a Fram? Can you post pic?

I used to only use Fram back in the day on my Pontiac Trans Am and even up to several years ago in my old 5.7 Hemi Durango but switched over to Mobile 1 extended capacity filter based on online reviews and cheaper price.

At one time, I even used Canton Mecca oil filters, but those cartridges get expensive, and I really don't put too many miles on my car to justify the cost.

Currently, I have been using Motorcraft FL-820S on all my 4.6L. Is there a better filter for our 4.6L?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
K&N filters came out on top on Engine Masters. Lowest micron, least restrictive. But not by a huge margin.
Its K&N, Wix, M1, or Motorcraft for me.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I personally believe the key is changing the filter regularly and using quality synthetic oil, but what do I know... LOL ;)

07 Boss

Reaction score
I have seen K&N with a nut, but never a Fram? Can you post pic?

I used to only use Fram back in the day on my Pontiac Trans Am and even up to several years ago in my old 5.7 Hemi Durango but switched over to Mobile 1 extended capacity filter based on online reviews and cheaper price.

At one time, I even used Canton Mecca oil filters, but those cartridges get expensive, and I really don't put too many miles on my car to justify the cost.

Currently, I have been using Motorcraft FL-820S on all my 4.6L. Is there a better filter for our 4.6L?

You are correct sir. They are K&N. My bad. I was trying to picture the box in my head but it looks like two left.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Anyways. After taking it apart 180* off (I was in a rush and not paying attention). I had to turn the crank and cams to TDC before lining everything up.

But phasers torqued to 30 ft/lbs and then 90*

Chains lined up.

Cover and ps pump back on so almost done. Cam covers, plugs, intake, fan and I’m pretty much done. I gotta remember to get to the store before it closes for some water and water wetter. Then I can fire her up tonight.

07 Boss

Reaction score

Quick vid of start up. 68 psi of oil pressure. Gonna drive it today after I get a temp tag.

1722099072373.jpeg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back