Project "Keep it Cool"

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
interesting. i doubt it pumps more than that meziere does. That thing pumps so fast it could cut steel! My Rule Pump is just slightly slower, if not the same speed as the meziere. I think it pumps about 50GPM

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Meziere offers 4 remote mounted pumps - 20 GPM, 35 GPM, 45 GPM & 55+ GPM. I am installing the 20 GPM - roughly 4 times the GPM of the stock Saleen I/C pump.

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
it did lol i had it insulated from the body with thick rubber. Mounted to the body anywhere and it would reverberate inside the car and shake it was so strong. After i insulated the mount that went away but even from outside the car you could still hear the pump. Everyone thought it was a super strong fuel pump haha

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
While waiting for the WP136S Meziere H2O pump to arrive I went ahead and:

• removed lower splash shield under the radiator
  • drained the I/C coolant
  • drained & removed windshield washer reservoir - only held in place by 3 small bolts/nuts.
  • removed the stock Saleen I/C pump and mounting bracket
This gives me an idea of the space I have to work with to fabricate a new mounting bracket and route the new hoses.

I am trying to avoid removing the RF tire & splash shield or the front bumper cover. I don't think removing any of those components will be necessary.

Here's some pictures:

Windshield washer reservoir & stock Saleen I/C pump & reservoir removed
100_1767.jpg

Stock Saleen I/C pump & bracket prior to removal. Note the hose routing and location. You'll also notice I have the GT 500 front fascia. This presents more of a challenge due to the RH brake cooling duct and fog lamp.
100_1765.jpg

Stock Saleen I/C pump & bracket removed. This will be the location and space of the new Meziere pump. Notice the 2 studs the Saleen I/C pump bracket mounted to. I am going to try and utilize those same studs to mount the new bracket
100_1766.jpg

Just an fyi - while the inlet and outlet ports of the Meziere H2O pump are 3/4" they are not NPT. They have a straight thread and are sealed with an o-ring. Here's an example of the fitting Meziere offers - WP12034B
WP12034B.jpg

Last edited:

Incredible Mr. E

forum member
Reaction score
Very timely information as another forum member and I are looking to upgrade our cooling system to combat the Houston summer heat.

Legend Shaker

forum member
Reaction score
Subscribed...

Looking forward to your results.

Also, Thanks to 94Tbird for posting results from using different approaches to handling IAT's. Definitely looking forward to your track temperature results with your new Afco Dual and pump setup.

I am just getting ready to build a JDM 302e as a completely new long block set up with Level 10 built trans. So... I really appreciate all of the efforts that you guys put into your builds, and taking the time to post the results (so that I can avoid the same problems that you have encountered or repeat configurations that do not improve the performance).

Cheers

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Meziere WP136S H2O pump and WP12034B inlet/outlet fittings (3/4" hose) have arrived.

Here's a comparison between the stock Saleen pump w/mounting bracket and the Meziere pump w/inlet & outlet fittings installed
100_1798.jpg

100_1799.jpg

Meziere pump is 7.25" tall
100_1804.jpg

Meziere pump is 6.25" wide including inlet & outlet fittings
100_1793.jpg

I have taken measurements of the available space to mount the Meziere pump and fabricated a mounting bracket that measures 4.0" W x 4.125" H x .125" T
100_1807.jpg

100_1805.jpg

Meziere pump mounting bracket will attach to the same (2) 8mm studs as the stock Saleen pump. Meziere pump mounts to the bracket with (2) 5/16" x .875" bolts from the back side of the mounting bracket. Due to the design of the stock Saleen pump (pump on top/motor on bottom) it had to be mounted very low on the chassis and the wiring connection actually hung below the front bumper cover. The design of the Meziere pump (motor on top/pump on bottom) allows the pump to be mounted much higher in the chassis leaving more room below the pump. This should result in a very clean install when complete.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It will also prevent breaking the plug off the pump when you accidentally roll over a parking space curb thing......yea, I did that.

Thanks for all this info. I follow all of your How To threads with rapt attention.

Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
It will also prevent breaking the plug off the pump when you accidentally roll over a parking space curb thing......yea, I did that.

The person at Saleen that designed the I/C pump mounting arrangement definitely had their head up their ass

Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Meziere pump installation is compete. Gathered some facts:

The stock Saleen (Bosch) pump, although it is rated @ 5.2 GPM (free flow), only flows about 2.0 GPM when installed in the system and that's with all restrictions (stock reservoir replaced with a Canton reservoir and stock Saleen H/E replaced with an Afco GT 500 Dual Pass H/E) removed from the system. This 20 GPM (free flow) Meziere pump increases flow to 6 GPM when installed in the exact same system. That's a 300% increase in flow. My Canton battery box mounted I/C reservoir holds right at 2 gallons of coolant. The stock Saleen pump turns the water over in the reservoir 1 time per minute. The Meziere pump turns the water over 3 times per minute. This should move the coolant faster through the I/C core, not allowing it to become super heated, but slow enough through the H/E core to allow efficient heat transfer.

Some have complained about these pumps being noisy. Here's the facts: this pump when mounted as in the attached pictures is 62.3 dB. That's with the engine off, hood open, lower radiator splash shield removed, vehicle still on stands, and windshield washer reservoir still removed. I am quite sure once the w/w reservoir has been reinstalled, lower radiator splash shield installed, vehicle on the ground and hood closed, that dB reading will drop even further.

With the pump mounted in the configuration shown, curb stops will no longer be an issue which damages the stock Saleen I/C pump harness.

Lastly the amp draw on this pump at startup is 10 amps. Once the pump is running it drops to 6 amps. The stock Saleen wring harness, fuse and stock Saleen relay or JDM relay pack are more than adequate.

100_1808.jpg

100_1809.jpg

100_1810.jpg

100_1812.jpg

Last edited:

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
This should move the coolant faster through the I/C core, not allowing it to become super heated, but slow enough through the H/E core to allow efficient heat transfer.

What are you basing this off of?

Let me preface this by stating that I appreciate your efforts and the fact that you are sharing it all here.

I'm not an expert, but I believe you can move coolant too quickly through a system which doesn't allow enough time in the heat exchanger to efficiently expell all of the heat that the h/e is capable of. Why is the Saleen setup "too slow" and this setup "just right"? Or is that part of the suspense? :)

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
What are you basing this off of?

Let me preface this by stating that I appreciate your efforts and the fact that you are sharing it all here.

I'm not an expert, but I believe you can move coolant too quickly through a system which doesn't allow enough time in the heat exchanger to efficiently expel all of the heat that the h/e is capable of. Why is the Saleen setup "too slow" and this setup "just right"? Or is that part of the suspense? :)

This is merely my opinion...

here's a very interesting thread - pay particular attention to post #33

I also spoke to several H/E exchanger manufacturers as well as Meziere

Last edited:

1SickRedfire

forum member
Reaction score
What type of modifications did you have to do to wire this up? I'm assuming it's not plug and play.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
What type of modifications did you have to do to wire this up? I'm assuming it's not plug and play.

Only modification to the wiring is to cut the stock Saleen I/C pump connector off of the original Saleen supplied harness and install the replacement connector supplied with the Meziere pump.

As I mentioned previously, due to the amp draw of the Meziere pump being almost identical to the stock Saleen I/C pump, the stock Saleen relay or JDM's I/C relay pack will work just fine.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you cannot move coolant through the system too quickly. NEVER. Not a chance. The faster it moves the better.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back