Project "Keep it Cool"

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
That's interesting...

I experimented with running the 55 GPM pump, and did not notice a faster recovery time nor lower IAT.
This is where things can get complicated. A bigger pump will not do you any good if the heat exchanger can’t shed the extra heat that the bigger pump pulls out of the intercooler(s) (Saleen has two I think???).

I was running a 20gpm and it was OK. When I stepped up to the 55gpm pump it lowered IAT’s while at cruise by about 10-12deg and recovered a lot faster (until I heat soaked the HE). But what it did was increase the temp of the fluid in the heat exchanger (I have a thermocouple measuring temp at the HE discharge port) because the extra heat that the 55gpm pump was pulling was now starting to tax the ability of the HE to shed that heat. The 20gpm pump wouldn’t heat soak the HE but the 55gpm pump can. Keep in mind my HE is larger than the big Afco.

The heat exchanger/intercooler systems are a constant game of catch up. Put in a more efficient IC and you need more HE. Put in a bigger pump and you need more HE. Just about everything you do taxes something else in the system.

The weakest link in the system is the heat exchanger. You simply can’t fit enough exchanger in the front of the car to cool down a high psi car. All you can do is put as much HE in the car as you can possibly cram in there and that is as good as it will get.

My current heat exchanger is about 5% larger than the big Afco. I’m working on a custom one with Griffin right now that will be 78% larger than my current one (almost double in size). It’s as much HE as you can stuff in the car without removing the A/C condenser and I honestly don’t think it will be enough for what I am trying to do.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back