GT and V6 differences engine swap in mind.

Eric298

Got V8?
Reaction score
Im curious what exactly is the difference between a v6 and a GT. I've read a few threads in the archives here about ppl doing 4.0- 5.4 triton swaps so im wondering if anyone knows the exact differences between the v6 and GT? because they dont really list exactly what they had to get just the fact that they did it and it worked.

Im thinking engine, transmission,rear end, wiring harness, fuse box? fuel system? I dunno just naming a few ideas because I'm trying to get an idea of what kind of work I would have to do for a v6 to something bigger swap.
I own a GT currently but the idea is that I could make a monster for very cheap because of what I can get a v6 stang for basically next to nothing at dealer auction price and use it as a shell basically and swap everything to aftermarket parts on the inside for much cheaper than even what buying another GT would cost so Im really curious as to what the differences are as far as the frame and body goes as well as the parts that come on a v6. So I guess im really after a parts list more than anything and specific differences between the two cars.:idea:If anyone could fill me in that would be great!:beer:

Eric298

Got V8?
Reaction score
The point is that the plans I have for my GT are going to reduce it to merely a shell as a car as everything on the inside will be changed a simple " put a blower on it" is not the kind of power levels im looking for.

So the point is if Im going to reduce my GT to a shell and basically only keep the interior of the car in tact while engien, drivetrain and suspension and basically everything will be changed why do that to my GT when I can sell my GT for more and reduce a V6 to a shell and do the same thing I would have to my GT except ill have an extra 10 grand in my hand or more... because I can get a v6 at dealer auction price for 5- 6 thousand , and I can sell my GT for wat maybe 16k- 17 k? leaves me 10 grand or more in extra cash in aftermarket parts, get it? This is all assuming the swap wont be ridiculous to do. It's just a curious question so if anyone has done it or knows what is involved in a 5.4 swap or a 4.6 swap in to a v6 and can answer my question that would help me out.:beer:

Last edited:

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
id call mike @ powerhouse he did the swap for rygen and buckman he could probably tell you .....

Eric298

Got V8?
Reaction score
it would be a very cool sleeper and all the power of a V8 with the insurance of a V6.

mmmhmm I currently pay 1500 insurance for my GT every 6 months so cheaper insurance would also offset the price of misc parts I would have to get for the swap and would continue to save $'s for as long as I own the car in comparison to the GT.

BTW to everyone just to clarify my idea is not just a 4.0 to regular 4.6 engine that is obviously pointless. My idea is that the price difference between the two cars will get me a shortblock, tr 6060+ driveshaft, and misc for the swap and other mods and ill be breaking even for what I sell my GT.

Basically im trading my current GT for a forged stroker, a six speed trans+ drive shaft and other mods and misc for swap. So I get a forged engine six speed and driveshaft for free basically in comparison to buying it on top of my current GT.

Then the rest of the money I have I can spend on suspension, fuel system and rear end and F/I and a little icing on the cake is cheaper insurance...:evillaugh:

Its just an idea so im pricing it out and leaving plenty of room for unexpected things.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Well, if you swap out the entire drivetrain (engine, tranny, driveshaft, AND rear end), then that takes care of many of the big differences. There there's also:
- exhaust (easy enough to swap out, too)
- wiring/ecu (the GT has more sensor circuits, and of course, two injectors; the ecu is designed to work with these and other additional items
- front suspension (different struts and springs and sway bar)

The wiring/electrical system would be the biggest difference and would cause the most problems. But if you swap out the engine and dash wiring and ecu, then you have a chance.

The fuel system is the same (same pump and lines, at least up through the fuel filter). The rear springs are the same; shocks are different.

Eric298

Got V8?
Reaction score
Well, if you swap out the entire drivetrain (engine, tranny, driveshaft, AND rear end), then that takes care of many of the big differences. There there's also:
- exhaust (easy enough to swap out, too)
- wiring/ecu (the GT has more sensor circuits, and of course, two injectors; the ecu is designed to work with these and other additional items
- front suspension (different struts and springs and sway bar)

The wiring/electrical system would be the biggest difference and would cause the most problems. But if you swap out the engine and dash wiring and ecu, then you have a chance.

The fuel system is the same (same pump and lines, at least up through the fuel filter). The rear springs are the same; shocks are different.

Yea I figured a Gt wiring harness and ecu was needed. I plan on changing out the suspension anywayz but what about mounting and such of suspension components all same correct as far as I know atleast?

and connections to all electrical components such as lights,radio, interior and exterior electrical components all the same? maybe?

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yea I figured a Gt wiring harness and ecu was needed. I plan on changing out the suspension anywayz but what about mounting and such of suspension components all same correct as far as I know atleast?

and connections to all electrical components such as lights,radio, interior and exterior electrical components all the same? maybe?

should be it might not have some of the extra shit but if its being stripped it wont matter anyway , and no i underastood its not just going to be a stocker but i know they changed a shitload of stuff so mike or either of those 2 would be your best bet for " real info "

thunderstang

forum member
Reaction score
I love the Idea man. Myself I just threw a v6 front bumper and all the v6 emblems on mine. Next I'm gonna dump the exhaust and put on a rear single exhaust bumper. But I see where your going with the extra funds. There are a lot of routes one would be get an engine set up for early street rods. I know SHM has complete mod motors from a 300hp 4.6 to a 800hp 5.4 Now you'll pay as much for the last one as you would a new GT, but they make them for for a two or three wire hook up. If you wanted something different they have a 600 N/A hp, carberated, DOHC, 6.0L single wire alternator, for about 15K. Thats a monster. I think thats the way I'd go if I was to build another sleeper.

Eric298

Got V8?
Reaction score
should be it might not have some of the extra shit but if its being stripped it wont matter anyway , and no i underastood its not just going to be a stocker but i know they changed a shitload of stuff so mike or either of those 2 would be your best bet for " real info "

I appreciate man, I didnt have a chance to today but tommorrow im gonna get in touch definetly with mike at powerhouse and try to get in touch with rygen as well.

I'm no stranger to making things fit but from what I understand everything is pretty much the same so which makes me excited to get some info from them depending on what they say this could be a monster in the making sooner than i thought....:evillaugh:

Eric298

Got V8?
Reaction score
I love the Idea man. Myself I just threw a v6 front bumper and all the v6 emblems on mine. Next I'm gonna dump the exhaust and put on a rear single exhaust bumper. But I see where your going with the extra funds. There are a lot of routes one would be get an engine set up for early street rods. I know SHM has complete mod motors from a 300hp 4.6 to a 800hp 5.4 Now you'll pay as much for the last one as you would a new GT, but they make them for for a two or three wire hook up. If you wanted something different they have a 600 N/A hp, carberated, DOHC, 6.0L single wire alternator, for about 15K. Thats a monster. I think thats the way I'd go if I was to build another sleeper.

Sleepers are fun but to be honest I like people to know that my car is not stock. I feel as though it lets people know that im not just some guy who went and bought a mustang the thought I want to go through peoples mind when they see my car is something along the lines of "that guy probably knows a little something about cars"

Although those engines sound so sweet and displacement attract me like a bug to a lite an engine of that $ amount is just not in the cards. I'm on a budget here haha. A forged and blown 298 or 302 is good enough for me :) who knows I might even go for the 5.4L:rock:

Thank you all for the info! Any info on top is much apprciated!:beer:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
FWIW, FRPP just released a stand-alone sensor/harness/ecu package for the 5.4, if you use a return-style fuel system. MSRP is under a grand for that kit.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Consider what would happen to you if it gets stolen and it's only insured as a stock V6.

You get to take it in the ass for $20,000+:doggy:

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ahh i c i was under the impression rygen did the swap himself thanks for the info:thumb: I'll call them and ask.

No, Mike@Powerhouse did it all. Some things to note, you will need a custom intake to clear the hood. There are two that I know of, the one MMR makes...and the one Mike designed and implemented on my car. My car also has a 4r70 married up to it, and CHE made some motor mounts for the 5.4 to fit in my car. Mike used a GT computer and wiring harness on mine as well. I would definitely give him a call as he did two swaps already, and has another one in the works (two 3v and one 4v).

Buckman

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Some things to note, you will need a custom intake to clear the hood.

I am not sure if the OP is going the 5.4 or 4.6 3v route? If he goes the 4.6 3v route then he will not need to do the intake as it is all a straightforward swap. Navbtcret went this route, although instead of a 5r55 trans, he did a 4r70.

Eric298

Got V8?
Reaction score
Consider what would happen to you if it gets stolen and it's only insured as a stock V6.

You get to take it in the ass for $20,000+:doggy:

You know I thought about that aswell, then I thought well its pretty much the same thing as I would have on my GT. Its not like I would tell my insurance company my GT has a stroker, and is turbo charged, with all sorts of other goodies on top, my insurance is already high enough dang theives...

I mean im sure a large percentage of people on this forum dont tell their insurance company about their superchargers and turbos and body kits etc etc

I dont think it will be much more than 20K the way Im building this car including the price of the car since ill be installing and putting everything together myself. I'll get a running list going as I research but I'm still researching this Idea though well see how it goes! :beer:

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Last year a guy on another forum did a build on a flood salvage V6. Welded up the back half seams, etc, etc. Swapped in a crate 5.4 GT (44) engine as I recall. Detailed the build as he went.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back