Motors gone.

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So I had my car tuned not even a week ago. I made 417hp and 408tq on a Mustang Dyno. This guy is supposed to be an amazing tuner, I drove 800km's for it. Now my motor has a hole in the side of it.

I guess someone is going to get some business from me. (Livernois?)
Quick question. What are the stock heads good for? (with or without springs, cams, etc..)

mofugr

Big Daddy
Reaction score
I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but isn't 400 hp the "magic" number not to exceed on stock parts?

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So I had my car tuned not even a week ago. I made 417hp and 408tq on a Mustang Dyno. This guy is supposed to be an amazing tuner, I drove 800km's for it. Now my motor has a hole in the side of it.

I guess someone is going to get some business from me. (Livernois?)
Quick question. What are the stock heads good for? (with or without springs, cams, etc..)

hp wise ? probably more than you want to push it ...... & pm sent

any more info on the story of how it went ?

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but isn't 500 hp the "magic" number not to exceed on stock parts?

close ....

Last edited:

Lazy Racer

forum member
Reaction score
On the KB site they mention 455whp. I think the stock heads are very good and can handle 550 crank no probs, rpm dependant; issue here is the valve train- if the power adder/cams you use to bump up to say 550 (450whp approx) increases max rpm, you may get some valve lift/issues. Its best to sort the valve train.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On the KB site they mention 455whp. I think the stock heads are very good and can handle 550 crank no probs, rpm dependant; issue here is the valve train- if the power adder/cams you use to bump up to say 550 (450whp approx) increases max rpm, you may get some valve lift/issues. Its best to sort the valve train.

Keep in mind these #'s were made on NEW cars; and '05 is a 5 year old car now... there are ALOT of 07's w/ 70K+ miles... These cars could have been fine w/ about 450hp w/ NEW valvetrains...

NOW, however...

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There is no magic number. however it does seem once past 450 its all in the tuners hands. I made 490rwhp on the stock motor with absolutely no problems. she lived for over 500+ track passes and 20k miles

Lazy Racer

forum member
Reaction score
Id agree with all of that. I have 68k on ine and Im speccing a new long block, fuel etc.

twinscrewed

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to get off topic for a second, but Lazy what kind of 60ft times are you getting to run 12.16 @ 111? And what do you have for gear? Auto or stick?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
sorry to read of your motor.... was it a 4th gear pull in the upper RPM range when it let go?

Solitear

forum member
Reaction score
Damn... sorry for the loss...at least u view the bright side of things..when mine goes i'll probly be pissed for the day then go thinking bigger displacement or get a built short block with same displacement lol

GL btw >=)

BlownAway05

still too slow
Reaction score
Talk about your stomach dropping. How much psi were you running? Gas? Did you call the guy who tuned your car to let him know?

Off topic note: 94tbird, that's a hell of a nice trap on the stock block. This thread and your trap has me torn on whether or not to turn mine up.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There is no magic number. however it does seem once past 450 its all in the tuners hands. I made 490rwhp on the stock motor with absolutely no problems. she lived for over 500+ track passes and 20k miles

+1^^..

GERMANSHEPERD

forum member
Reaction score
[/b]

Keep in mind these #'s were made on NEW cars; and '05 is a 5 year old car now... there are ALOT of 07's w/ 70K+ miles... These cars could have been fine w/ about 450hp w/ NEW valvetrains...

NOW, however...
There is a lot of wisdom in that statement people dont realize.

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but this car was tuned by the same guy I lost an engine to, shortly after being tuned by. I've been trying to warn people around these parts, for the last 2 years to do a little more homework before trusting their hard earned dollars to this particular shop. I may have even said it again just last week in Explicts other thead.

Very sorry to hear about another one.

Good luck building it better?

Lazy Racer

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to get off topic for a second, but Lazy what kind of 60ft times are you getting to run 12.16 @ 111? And what do you have for gear? Auto or stick?

I am running a 4.10 with 28" wheels; manual tr3650, 100 shot. On the 12.16 @ 11 run, I ran a 1.64 60', 90.5 in the 1/8th @ 7.75.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back