Motors gone.

Eric Brooks

forum member
Reaction score
How did the car run before it let go?

I was flown to Canada by Brian (DirtyDog) to retune his car, and another guys (CanuckPower). Both cars had been tuned by that shop and ran horribly. I saw the tunes in both cars, and they were seriously jacked up.

I can say with almost certainty, your car is probably not any different.

There is a power limit on stock motored cars, but the cars are forgiving if you know how to calibrate the control system, the knock sensors are life savers. Stock rods do not tolerate detonation AT ALL.

I'd almost bet money your tune is the cause, and there are signs of detonation in your engine.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How did the car run before it let go?

I was flown to Canada by Brian (DirtyDog) to retune his car, and another guys (CanuckPower). Both cars had been tuned by that shop and ran horribly. I saw the tunes in both cars, and they were seriously jacked up.

I can say with almost certainty, your car is probably not any different.

There is a power limit on stock motored cars, but the cars are forgiving if you know how to calibrate the control system, the knock sensors are life savers. Stock rods do not tolerate detonation AT ALL.

I'd almost bet money your tune is the cause, and there are signs of detonation in your engine.

Thats exactly what my tuner says about the knock sensors and detonation/rods..

Eric Brooks

forum member
Reaction score
Thats exactly what my tuner says about the knock sensors and detonation/rods..

I know Chris, and he knows his stuff.

And the truth is, power will break the rods, but I would bet the majority of people having rod failure on stock motors experienced some detonation. That is why you see some cars under 400 RWHP breaking parts.

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know Chris, and he knows his stuff.

And the truth is, power will break the rods, but I would bet the majority of people having rod failure on stock motors experienced some detonation. That is why you see some cars under 400 RWHP breaking parts.

Agreed..^^..And for me personally, I dont have a hint of detonation, even with a non-cooled inefficient Vortech, but the Meth helped alot with Chris being more aggresive with the tune, but very safe at the same time..

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's a confusing oxymoron right there...lol

Well, kind of, lol..I should have said aggresive with the timing, due to no detonation and no knock..Where as before the Meth, it would pull gobs of timing at higher rpm especially on hot days..

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, kind of, lol..I should have said aggresive with the timing, due to no detonation and no knock..Where as before the Meth, it would pull gobs of timing at higher rpm especially on hot days..

I know brother...I was just laughing to myself because I think of the number of guys that walk into shops saying "Give me the max amount of power this thing can handle... but keep it safe..."

As HP goes up - safety goes down - regardless of what parts you put in there - it's just a drag racing mathematical fact - same as every weak link you build up creates another weak link and there is ALWAYS a weak link no matter what you do or add...:yuck:

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I run a whipple 2.3l with the 10psi pulley. The car was only running 8.66psi when tuned. It happened in third fear around 3-4K rpms.
The car only has 2x,xxxmiles on it. about 6,000miles since the blower. About 1xxx miles since the tune.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
wow... given those circumstances..... I'd have to guess detonation was the issue. could you have gotten some bad gas?

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
.....but I would bet the majority of people having rod failure on stock motors experienced some detonation.
Ever see a stress/fatigue test on these rods? When they are moving in one direction they really do not like ANY type of opposing force applied to them. An opposite force compresses the grain structure (which isn't anything spectacular to begin with) creating a fracture. When the rod is then moved in the opposite direction guess what happens to that fracture?

Your bet would pay off more than you think.:thumb2:

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
wow... given those circumstances..... I'd have to guess detonation was the issue. could you have gotten some bad gas?

It's hard to say. It was tuned for 94 Husky gas. I know 3 others who use this gas on their 500whp++ vehicles that run it fine.

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I also use the 94 Husky exclusively, and not had any problems since having Eric up over a year ago. That does not say you still couldn't get bad gas somewhere, but knowing what I know now, your failure IS 99.99% due to having a shit tune. It's just too bad you only got 1000kms on it and 800km of that would have been the drive home from Calgary. That sounds like about as much as I got out of my Tecmotion tune (on a built motor.)

Now that that is settled, lets get to work on getting it back up and running again, and retuned by someone that knows what the hell they are doing.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Now that that is settled, lets get to work on getting it back up and running again, and retuned by someone that knows what the hell they are doing.

yea, Im sure theres about 5 or 6K just rolling around in the center console... and a couple days you have saved in that time capsule you burried by the old oak tree when you were 7... :nk:

Back and running again... :thumb2:

Sux man, you are handling it rather calm...

Or...

... oh, ok... sighted in, ok, gotcha ;)

Last edited:

Eric Brooks

forum member
Reaction score
Ever see a stress/fatigue test on these rods? When they are moving in one direction they really do not like ANY type of opposing force applied to them. An opposite force compresses the grain structure (which isn't anything spectacular to begin with) creating a fracture. When the rod is then moved in the opposite direction guess what happens to that fracture?

Your bet would pay off more than you think.:thumb2:

Never seen a stress test, but I have tuned enough of them, and have not broken a rod yet (knock on wood).

The more power you make, the smaller window you have as a safety margine.

My brothers ModFox car is kinda my test mule for seeing how far we can push stock rods.

SD, you have been around long enough to probably remember Brian Bradford's 98 Cobra. He was running a blower and nitrous on a stock motor, and had an insane amount of track passes on it before it ever broke.

Don't get me wrong, everyone that breaks a rod is not always due to a tune. Detonation is not always because of a tune, but I would say the majority of broken rods (and oil pump/gears) are from detonation in some form or fashion (be it a failing pump, injectors, pegged MAF, bad gas, bad luck).

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm rather calm because I have been looking into getting a built motor anyways. I was going to wait until Winter but...

It's not the cost that I am worried about, its the time frame. I don't expect to have this running until next spring or summer.

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
First off, I'm really sorry to hear about your engine. I just got a whipple myself, and I can't think of anything most devastating than an immediate engine failure.

I have just been informed, as of an hour ago, that the tuner I justed used to tune my whipple yesterday is not to be trusted, many engine failures in his background. This after spending $726.

Eric, if I sent you my tune, could you give me an opinion on it's worth? I'm going to PM you.

Eric Brooks

forum member
Reaction score
First off, I'm really sorry to hear about your engine. I just got a whipple myself, and I can't think of anything most devastating than an immediate engine failure.

I have just been informed, as of an hour ago, that the tuner I justed used to tune my whipple yesterday is not to be trusted, many engine failures in his background. This after spending $726.

Eric, if I sent you my tune, could you give me an opinion on it's worth? I'm going to PM you.

Not a problem. I can only point out really obvious goofs though. For instance, I have no way of knowing if his MAF Transfer Function is correct or not, unless it just looks really whacky.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back