Can someone review my tune?

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't exactly know how it works but I have heard of people looking at tunes and giving their inputs on them?
If I can figure out how to upload my custom dyno tune off my diablosport tuner will someone please check it out for me?

p.s. This is the tune I had on my car for a week before my motor let go.

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
You'll need to get the DS downloader software from the Diablosport website to get the tune from the handheld device. Then follow the manual instructions to retrieve the tune. Even easier, email the tuner and ask him to send you the tune file, they should still have a copy of it. If they did any datalogging during the dyno pulls, ask for that too.

Then send it all to Eric Brooks.

When you've got Tech Motions attention, ask them why you got 6,000 kms on the whipple tune and 15 minutes on theirs.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I'll put it this way, I would not ever take a car back to get tuned there, they have absolutely no idea of what are they doing.

But even so it is not necessarily their fault that the engine let go.

How much did they made on the wheels?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that this particular dyno is likely set to a high load and the numbers read very low. Although there are several correction factors that can be applied, this operator doesn't do them. A stock S197 GT makes about 235-240 and 245-250ft/lbs on this particular dyno.

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll put it this way, I would not ever take a car back to get tuned there, they have absolutely no idea of what are they doing.
Is this based on the tune that was attached? If so, where are things wrong?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind my car lasted 1000kms before it blew up. 800 of those were cruising highways miles
Yeah, I'm definitely not one to defend Matt as I've had a number of disagreements with him regarding timing on Windsor engines. I think he may have finally figured it out as his personal car is not the underachiever it was a year ago. I'm trying to illustrate that he likely tuned it beyond it's limits and cautioning people not to think that because it was only at 417rwhp that a problem shouldn't have occurred.

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm definitely not one to defend Matt as I've had a number of disagreements with him regarding timing on Windsor engines. I think he may have finally figured it out as his personal car is not the underachiever it was a year ago. I'm trying to illustrate that he likely tuned it beyond it's limits and cautioning people not to think that because it was only at 417rwhp that a problem shouldn't have occurred.

Ya before he even started tuning my engine I asked him for a conservative tune. All said and done my car made more HP but he asked me if I wanted to tone it down on the top end a bit, I said yes, and he did just that. The topic of the day was conservative, the whole time I was there.

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would not ever take a car back to get tuned there, they have absolutely no idea of what are they doing.

I've been saying that for a long time now, but somehow I ended up being an asshole for saying so. Someday a few more Alberta boys will wake up listen to me.

E.B. pointed out many flaws in my previous Tecmotion tune, and was very worried about me even running the car with his tune in it. :omfg:

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Is this based on the tune that was attached? If so, where are things wrong?

Is based on the tune, I believe that one tuner should not lay out public criticism on another tuner's job BUT anyone tuning via base fuel table raping should be called out loud.

The info for the proper way of tuning is out, there are books, courses and people willing to help to get a newbie on the right trail. Many people can have the money to get a dyno and the software to tune, that does not makes you automatically a tuner.

Even so, I repeat, this does not means the engine let go because the tune, sometimes the things that should not happen, happens.

Bobby

turbo gt about to go fast
Reaction score
just out side of charlotte north carolina
Is based on the tune, I believe that one tuner should not lay out public criticism on another tuner's job BUT anyone tuning via base fuel table raping should be called out loud.

The info for the proper way of tuning is out, there are books, courses and people willing to help to get a newbie on the right trail. Many people can have the money to get a dyno and the software to tune, that does not makes you automatically a tuner.

Even so, I repeat, this does not means the engine let go because the tune, sometimes the things that should not happen, happens.
i agree

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Keep in mind that this particular dyno is likely set to a high load and the numbers read very low. Although there are several correction factors that can be applied, this operator doesn't do them. A stock S197 GT makes about 235-240 and 245-250ft/lbs on this particular dyno.

Sounds like the dyno is reading about 10% lower. That would make the 417whp more like 463 whp.

I would love to learn more about tuning engines, not that I have aspirations of doing so but at least I'd like to look the the parameters and understand what is going on. Where can I get ahold of a textbook or something similar?

lito

forum member
Reaction score

Eric Brooks

forum member
Reaction score
Looks very similar to what I saw in Brian's (DirtyDog) car before I tuned it.

#1 - The spark tables are not renormalized for higher than 100% load. This is basic stuff. This should be done on any blown car.

#2 - The Torque Table is less than stock. Obviously this is wrong, it should be raised much higher. This is not a novice mistake, as there are alot of people that do not seem to understand drive by wire yet, however, if you don't understand how the table works, then don't mess with it. Obviously don't reduce it less than stock, now that the car makes much more torque than stock.

#3 - Knock Sensor is basically off at WOT. I do this at times, but only on cars that have false knock. A stock car with a Whipple doesn't need this turned off. This alone may have saved your engine.

#4 - Default Load table looks really whacked, IMHO.

#5 - MAF Temperature Compensation is modified. He is surely not smart enough to change this table without lots of data that he doesn't have access to. Most people (me included) zero this out unless the car is stock (N/A)

#6 - The fuel tables are raped. There are alot of "tooners" that do this. The fuel table is where you command what you want the airfuel to be, and if the MAF is dialed in, that is what you get. Some people (like in this tune) commanded stupid airfuel ratios to get a result, for instance this tune is commanding 8.79 AFR at full throttle above 6500 RPM. Obviously this is wrong.

I am sure there is more wrong, but these are the few things that jumped out at me.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Looks very similar to what I saw in Brian's (DirtyDog) car before I tuned it.

#1 - The spark tables are not renormalized for higher than 100% load. This is basic stuff. This should be done on any blown car.

#2 - The Torque Table is less than stock. Obviously this is wrong, it should be raised much higher. This is not a novice mistake, as there are alot of people that do not seem to understand drive by wire yet, however, if you don't understand how the table works, then don't mess with it. Obviously don't reduce it less than stock, now that the car makes much more torque than stock.

#3 - Knock Sensor is basically off at WOT. I do this at times, but only on cars that have false knock. A stock car with a Whipple doesn't need this turned off. This alone may have saved your engine.

#4 - Default Load table looks really whacked, IMHO.

#5 - MAF Temperature Compensation is modified. He is surely not smart enough to change this table without lots of data that he doesn't have access to. Most people (me included) zero this out unless the car is stock (N/A)

#6 - The fuel tables are raped. There are alot of "tooners" that do this. The fuel table is where you command what you want the airfuel to be, and if the MAF is dialed in, that is what you get. Some people (like in this tune) commanded stupid airfuel ratios to get a result, for instance this tune is commanding 8.79 AFR at full throttle above 6500 RPM. Obviously this is wrong.

I am sure there is more wrong, but these are the few things that jumped out at me.

And....

#7 - No fuel pump tuning at all even when the fuel system is totally different in the kit.

#8 - and the one that may be the worst mistake in the tune and a possible cause for damage and also the ingenuity of raping the BFT up top is that the injectors delta pressure was left stock and the FGT stock 38s injectors won't hold up that power levels if you do not raise the pressure. Your Ford provided calibration did this.

Last edited:

fieldy301

forum member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how to upload a tune to here from an SCT X2? My car blew up about an hour off the dyno on my way home...Just kinda curious if there is something obvious in the tune that caused it to let go...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back