You are not going to believe what I pulled out of my muffler...

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Last time the car moved on it's own power was the track rental day where on my last pass and I heard something rattling around on my way back to the pits..repaired a coolant issue, fired up the car and someone behind the car said I was not blowing anything out my passenger side tailpipe...rev'd the car and heard popping sounds almost like a backfire so I shut it down and put it on the trailer.

Today I had a chance to pull the exhaust off and I could not believe how much of the cat had clogged the driver side muffler. I used compressed air, pliers and my shop vac to suck/blow the crap out of there.

Guess I will gut the drivers side cat before it happens on that side.

The cats were Kooks Hi Flo cats that only had 1k-1.5K miles on them.

Last edited:

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
no cats=FTW. and yeah i know VA has an inspection....but my Mustang had no cats the whole time i had it there ;)

07stangcs

Undecided
Reaction score
Yep, another victim of the clogged cats. Seems to be Kooks i keep seeing... Didnt Boozshey loose a motor to these same "kooks high flow cats"??

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
That sucks. Yea Boozshey lost a motor to Kooks cats. Same fashion, cat all unraveled and plugged up in the exhaust.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't even think his cats had any miles on them. They failed during tuning didn't they? I don't know how he stayed calm about the whole thing, I would've been flying my ass to kooks HQ and sticking those cats up someones tail shaft.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Just asking - Is there a specific reason you're touching the catalytic converter media without wearing gloves and I assume not wearing a respirator? I was always under the impression that was a known carcinogen.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Are those mettalic cats or ceramic cats? I've heard the mettalic substrate holds up better and isn't prone to fracturing like that.. hmm.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am sure; I used the shop vac to blow thru the drivers side and measured it against the flow of the passenger side and it's the same now.

Sucks I had to remove the entire exhaust from the headers on back but I was suprised the shit made it through the up and over pipe esp where it crimps down.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am sure; I used the shop vac to blow thru the drivers side and measured it against the flow of the passenger side and it's the same now.

Sucks I had to remove the entire exhaust from the headers on back but I was suprised the shit made it through the up and over pipe esp where it crimps down.

Yeah yours looks like it unraveled in strips, mine was just big chunks.

rayS197

Reaction score
Yep, seems to be the norm for Kooks from what people post. Response from Kooks is the tune was too rich!! LOL.
I take it you didnt go over there Jeremy??

Last edited:

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
This was a pic of Boozshey's that I found from when his Kooks cats clogged.
blowncat1.jpg

I dont know how Kooks is still selling these things with this issue.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Holy busted cats, Batman! Glad you got it out before making another run!

Yeah, he lucked out. Noticed the leak in the coolant hose before it became worse and noticed the clog while at idle so no track passes. And had the trailer to bring it back.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to me thank god I didn't blow my motor. I was throwing codes left and right.

pics,

Catinthetailpipe007.jpg

Catinthetailpipe008.jpg

Catinthetailpipe009.jpg

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back