You are not going to believe what I pulled out of my muffler...

bullitt boy

Reaction score
What are the symptoms before these go? Is there any warning? I have had Kooks High flos on mine for over a year no issues or codes but how do I check this?

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is why I have the of road pipes sitting in my garage just waiting to be changed out.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
HOLY SHIT!

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just asking - Is there a specific reason you're touching the catalytic converter media without wearing gloves and I assume not wearing a respirator? I was always under the impression that was a known carcinogen.

Depends on the catalyst used I suppose. Palladium, yeah for sure, not sure about rhodium. Platinum maybe...

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Wow, can't believe the substandard cats! I killed my factory cats through my own stupidity and replaced them with SLP high flow cats and X-pipe 1.5 years ago. Mine is a daily driver, drag raced a lot, and no issues with them. Guess I'll never buy Kooks cats!

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's been said many times here before. Say no to cats, kids. And if you're like me, say no to mufflers, too. :)

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
FI and HF cats dont mix. Kooks HF cats....just horrible. Mine are coming out next week. Man it could have been much worse Greg.....thank God.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
American Racing Headers are not much better. Mine fell apart also, and others that I know did also.

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My BBK's did the same thing at the track. I used an electric sewer snake and a few different pry bars to clean them out. Now at emissions time I put a new catted X on and immediately take it off after car passes.

anothermustanguy

Reaction score
what's the deal with the stockers? I was under the impression they weren't a restriction unless you were pushing like, 500RWHP+? But then I'm sure a few of you guys are...

Plus the factory ones should have a 100,000 mile warranty under fed law.

What ruins the stockers...running rich?

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
The stockers aren't being ruined. They DO cause unwanted restriction. Just because they're Ford's best catalytic converters to date doesn't mean they are better than HFC or no cats at all.

I'll be running an off raod X. Props to Alabama and Florida for not having a requirement to run cats! Well, they may have a requirement to run them, but there's ZERO emissions inspections in both States!!!

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
They're better than HFC in the sense that I don't think anyone has had them come apart and blow shit up which we can't seem to say for Kooks.

They are of course a restriction and usually go bye-bye in the interest of squeezing out every last drop of power you can make.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
what's the deal with the stockers? ...
What ruins the stockers...running rich?

I killed my stockers through my own stupidity. I took the supercharger off my car to send to Vortech for a warranty fix (bad pulley bearing). I wanted to drive the car N/A while I waited for the blower, so I put it back to stock yet forgot to put the stock fuel injectors back in. Drove a couple miles with way too much fuel dumping in (car ran like shit, too) and immediately realized what I did, but it was too late and the damage was done. Cats were toast (rattling & plugged up exhaust). I guess we learn from our mistakes!

I'm near Seattle and were emission tested regularly so I have to keep the cats as this is a daily driver.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Greg now you know why I hate the turbo kits that connect the hot side piping after the cats. When you loose a cat all that crap goes into the turbo itself. Glad you caught it before it did any damage to your engine.

Earl

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Wow I cant believe you pulled all this shit out! I hope your gonna contact them about it Greg.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back