You are not going to believe what I pulled out of my muffler...

Boozshey

Reaction score
Wow, how pathetic. I loved the headers, but man, they really need to look into this problem!!!

jmn444

Reaction score
Not exactly on topic, but I had concerns about keeping the cats, but want to continue running the frpp tune... Anybody know if anyone has killed the stockers with the whipple and frpp tune ?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
FI seems to be what kills the cats, not sure why, someone with knowledge can explain why.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow, can't believe the substandard cats! I killed my factory cats through my own stupidity and replaced them with SLP high flow cats and X-pipe 1.5 years ago. Mine is a daily driver, drag raced a lot, and no issues with them. Guess I'll never buy Kooks cats!

American Racing Headers are not much better. Mine fell apart also, and others that I know did also.

My BBK's did the same thing at the track. I used an electric sewer snake and a few different pry bars to clean them out. Now at emissions time I put a new catted X on and immediately take it off after car passes.

Wow, how pathetic. I loved the headers, but man, they really need to look into this problem!!!

In an effort to find a carb stamped cat to pass inspection last year(asshat guy at treadquarters). ( I had weld in pypes cats). I did alot of research and called quite a few companies And found that most of them have the same cats (same manufacturer). Kooks. ar, bbk,pypes and so on... Kooks actually gave me the tip when I talked to them, they said they use the same manufacturer as most of the other companies so good luck finding a carb stamped one.

The 2 companies i found to run different cats are slp and magnaflow, different manufacturer. On a side note 9 times ouf of 10 carb stamps are only given when the cat is manufactured for an oem setup for an automaker.

Last edited:

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
you get what you pay for doesn't seem to apply here...

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am disappointed that I made the decision to be "legal" and go the route of a Kooks catted H pipe, that was not a cheap decision and in the end I will have nothing more than an off road H pipe.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am disappointed that I made the decision to be "legal" and go the route of a Kooks catted H pipe, that was not a cheap decision and in the end I will have nothing more than an off road H pipe.

Yeah that does suck, at least you caught it before it did more damage and cost you more money!

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL..thanks Luke....I need to thank Otis for noticing it, if he had not said something I would have tried another pass and that would have been the end of that engine.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Now i'm paranoid. lol
I use my 2-step entirely too much.
BUT ONLY FOR A HALF A SECOND each time!!

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
You gonna start you own thread or just post it in here??? hahaha
Don't jinx!!!
I said I wasn't going to use it much but I just love it. :beerdrink:
It's like a really hot chick with herpes u know you shouldn't but damn dat ass :roflmao:

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
You gonna start you own thread or just post it in here??? hahaha

LMFAO!

I really thing the problem is with these cats that are a "wrapped" substrate vs the ceramic ones which would probably just break up and blow out. This crap just seems to bunch up in the exhaust. I'll be scared when I have to put my cats back on for inspection in April. I'll put the larger pulley on my blower and stay out of the boost that day for sure.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did you have any luck talking to Kooks about the failure/reimbursement?

Boozshey

Reaction score
The gave me the run around when I tried. All I even asked for was 2 straight catless pipes. I didn't even ask for the H part... Just the damn pipes.

They kept insiting it wasn't their problem and that it was the tune, blah blah blah. I talked with Kool-Aid (yes that's his name) and he wouldn't forward the problem any place else. I said F'it. O'well now, got a 5.4 under the hood. Thanks Kooks... haha

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back