Project "Keep it Cool"

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Referring to I/C temps - not engine coolant temps.

Currently have a Canton battery box mounted I/C reservoir, Afco GT 500 Pro-Series Dual Pass Heat Exchanger w/dual Spal fans. Most likely will upgrade the stock Saleen I/C pump to a Meziere 20 GPM I/C pump. Already spoke to Meziere's Tech Support and they highly recommend this pump for this application. Also asked them about these pumps being noisy. Their response was "not if the pump is mounted properly as per our instructions and not run without coolant."

Reason for the upgrade: Per Saleen "The stock Saleen I/C pump is rated @ 317 GPH or 5.28 GPM. However the coolant flow through the entire I/C system (reservoir, pump, H/E, I/C & lines) is estimated to only be 1.5 to 2.0 GPM."

Planning on mounting the Meziere I/C pump in the same basic location as the stock Saleen I/C pump and utilizing the existing stock Saleen supplied I/C pump harness which now has been upgraded with JDM's relay pack w/remote switch.

Install to be documented with pictures along the way. Please feel free to chime in with all comments - negative or positive.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Hopefully it will be informative for all of us Saleen S/C'd guys. I've seen others use this same pump but not in our Saleen specific application.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Love following your build. Looking forward to this one.

I'm going to follow this as I need to upgrade my pump and get a bigger reservior to.

Since the 2 of you, and hopefully some other Saleen S/C'd guys will be following this thread, please feel free to ask questions and give input. We all know where our pumps are mounted and I want to make this a clean installation - possibly even plug-n-play for future installations.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Just ordered the I/C pump from Summit Racing - best price and in stock. Shipping out of GA - should have it Monday I think. Does UPS count tomorrow (Good Friday) as a holiday? If so, I won't see it until Tuesday.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
"The stock Saleen I/C pump is rated @ 317 GPH or 5.28 GPM. However the coolant flow through the entire I/C system (reservoir, pump, H/E, I/C & lines) is estimated to only be 1.5 to 2.0 GPM."

Based on this, why don't you see what the Saleen pump can do with the other hard parts replaced. If it's good for 5+GPM and the stock system is 2.0, the pump is already good for 2.5x the stock system flow...?

lito

forum member
Reaction score
We installed one in a customer car and it is noisy but once you start the car (custom PD blower cams with some lope sound) you can't hear it.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
definately a noisy pump regardless of how its mounted or insulated. it spins fast and makes noise. if your exhaust/engine is loud enough however it will overrule it. I had mine mounted in the spare tire well, and then eventually under the car. I always heard it.

zipperhead

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what the actual flow rate will be with the Mezeire installed. I do suspect your line pressure may be quite a bit higher since your attempting to put more flow through the same head.

Have you put some thought on how your going to feed the new pump? NPSH effects pump flow rate .

I have followed your post's and I am aware of your attempts to get max flow rate.

I look foward to your progess

Simon

forum member
Reaction score
On the dyno the other day I made 3 pulls. It was about 75 degrees out. I was on 100 oct and running a ton of timing @15psi. My IATs were 78 degrees. Last year, same conditions, my IATs were going over 140 and the computer was pulling timing. I have a stock KB system with a huge tank in the trunk that can hold up to 10 gallons of water. I normally run 2-3 gallons of water in the tank and use the extra room to throw a bag of ice in it.

I have the stock KB pump up front made by Bosch and I bought a lightning pump for the back to push the water back to the blower. Yes, the pumps are noisy and sucks power from the battery. You can't sit with the pumps running for very long. But the system works flawlessly and I daily drive the car to work on good weather days.

The tank has a drain that I pull water out of to make room for ice if needed. On the street, I don't care what my IATs are. I'm not racing. I do not feel the car pulling timing and with the extra water, it seems to not get near as warm as when I has only the tiny little resevoir in it.

I went to the track with the tank and made a pass. Went back, added ice, gained .3 and 3 mph. Added more ice to cold water and gained .1 and 1 mph. Total of .4 and 4 mph. Probably added 50-60 pounds to the car and still made up ET amd MPH.

Total cost was less than $300.00

I could have used a smaller tank, but I didn't. An 8 gallon tank or even a 5 would be fine I think.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
"The stock Saleen I/C pump is rated @ 317 GPH or 5.28 GPM. However the coolant flow through the entire I/C system (reservoir, pump, H/E, I/C & lines) is estimated to only be 1.5 to 2.0 GPM."

Based on this, why don't you see what the Saleen pump can do with the other hard parts replaced. If it's good for 5+GPM and the stock system is 2.0, the pump is already good for 2.5x the stock system flow...?

Perhaps my post wasn't clear. The stock Saleen pump has a free flow rate of 5.28 GPM. When that same pump is introduced into the stock Saleen I/C system flow is reduced to only 1.5 to 2.0 GPM

We installed one in a customer car and it is noisy but once you start the car (custom PD blower cams with some lope sound) you can't hear it.

definitely a noisy pump regardless of how its mounted or insulated. it spins fast and makes noise. if your exhaust/engine is loud enough however it will overrule it. I had mine mounted in the spare tire well, and then eventually under the car. I always heard it.

I am currently running Kooks LTHs, off-road X-pipe and Borla stingers so I doubt it will be heard

I do suspect your line pressure may be quite a bit higher since your attempting to put more flow through the same head.

Have you put some thought on how your going to feed the new pump? NPSH effects pump flow rate.

It must be too early as I am not understanding your post. The line pressure is probably lower now than it was when I had the stock Saleen H/E. The Afco H/E has a higher flow capacity thus reducing a restriction to the coolant flow. Please elaborate on your post.

As previously mentioned I have a Canton battery box mounted I/C reservoir which holds 2 gallons of coolant. I have a larger Afco heat exchanger (assisted by 2 Spal fans) which can accommodate more coolant and air flow. It would seem to me the only 2 remaining weak links in the system are the I/C pump flow rate and the I/C core itself (which I can't do anything about).

As was explained to me by more than one H/E manufacturer, the more times you can pass the coolant through the heat exchanger, the greater the opportunity to dissipate the heat. It would seem the real problem is how long the coolant is allowed to remain in the I/C core. The coolant can actually get so hot it will turn to steam. Therefore the theory is to increase coolant flow through system reducing dwell time in the I/C core and getting the coolant back to the H/E where the heat can be dissipated.

zipperhead

Reaction score
It must be too early as I am not understanding your post. The line pressure is probably lower now than it was when I had the stock Saleen H/E. The Afco H/E has a higher flow capacity thus reducing a restriction to the coolant flow. Please elaborate on your post.

Although your new Afco H/E can handle higher flow by itself, when hooked to your system the flow rate may not be achieved. My point on higher line pressure is your cramming 4X flow rate into your existing circuit. Unless every point in your intercooler circuit can handle the new flow rate the pressure has to go up.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just for quick (real quick) reference. I was fighting high IAT temps for 2 years, and I've finally found a working combination. Granted I've oversimplified everything Ive tried here, as there were many small modifications and tweaks i made along the way, but this illustrates the major changes.

1. Gords Ford Performance HE, 6 gallon tank, Meziere remote water pump (mounted both next to tank and under the car)14psi of boost i would see 120-130 cruising on the street and upwards of 180 at the track in a 10 second pass.

2. Killer Chiller, 14psi of boost, Bosch(FRPP) pump, canton coolant tank, all lines insulated on the cold side of the KC. I would see 120-130 temps cruising and 180-200+ at the track.

3. Afco Dual pass with fans, 6 gallon tank, in tank Rule 2000 submerged pump, I see 95-105 temps cruising on the street. Track temps will be available Monday but based on preliminary results on the street i expect to see good things.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Although your new Afco H/E can handle higher flow by itself, when hooked to your system the flow rate may not be achieved. My point on higher line pressure is your cramming 4X flow rate into your existing circuit. Unless every point in your intercooler circuit can handle the new flow rate the pressure has to go up.

Very true statement.

Something else to keep in mind, Saleen offers a larger H/E and I/C pump while retaining the original I/C core. Would seem to me the Afco H/E should not be a restriction if Saleen is using a larger H/E without increasing the size of the I/C core. Unfortunately I don't know the GPM of their larger I/C pump.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Very true statement.

Something else to keep in mind, Saleen offers a larger H/E and I/C pump while retaining the original I/C core. Would seem to me the Afco H/E should not be a restriction if Saleen is using a larger H/E without increasing the size of the I/C core. Unfortunately I don't know the GPM of their larger I/C pump.

I have the Extreme H/E already.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
isn't the larger pump just a rebranded FRPP lightning pump (Bosch)

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
No it is a completely different pump - vaiable displacement with larger inlet & outlet connections

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back