Boosted again. This time with a Paxton

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I decided my car needed some more grunt and was faced with two choices similar in price.

Choice 1 was heads and longtubes. Alot of work to help breathing and make a few ponies.

Choice 2 was a little boost to help with the breathing.

I went back and forth, even bought a set of heads to have ported but in the end a centri was the logical choice. I ordered a non-intercooled Paxton tuner kit from Terry at Beefcake racing (forum sponsor) for an unbelieveable price last week. UPS shows up yesterday carrying a big box with Paxton markings on it. Finished it up this afternoon and just got back from the shakedown drive.

It's surreptitious. Once I had determined the base tune had a decent maf xfer I got on it some and it started to break up. Turns out I had hit the rev limiter. It doesn't come on like the Whipple did and knock you back in your seat, it's sneaky. That's my first impression.

It hit 10psi with the 3.8" pulley. Keep in mind I'm at 11:1 with a short duration 112 lsa cam. Iats hit a high of 152 right after letting off a long pull but were mostly around 100 with short pulls taking them to 130's. Base tune spark advance is only 13 degrees at high load high rpms till it gets on the dyno.

Those are the first impressions. An air to air kit is in the future. If all goes well I'll get it to the track on Friday.

HEMI LOL

The Feast and The Famine
Reaction score
nice! sounds like a blast. was it hard to setup the base tune? ive been thinking about this too since we last talked. as soon as you drove off i thought to myself, hes going to be boosted in less than a month.

what do i win lol?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
nice! sounds like a blast. was it hard to setup the base tune? ive been thinking about this too since we last talked. as soon as you drove off i thought to myself, hes going to be boosted in less than a month.

what do i win lol?

A hot rod cam install. :roflmao:

burkem

forum member
Reaction score
How hard was the install? Ive got a Paxton 1200sl sitting in a box in my room right now. But Im missing a few bits and bobs for it. i.e. a few clamps and the correct coolant crossover. But on a scale of 1 to 10, the install difficulty is a ...?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
How hard was the install? Ive got a Paxton 1200sl sitting in a box in my room right now. But Im missing a few bits and bobs for it. i.e. a few clamps and the correct coolant crossover. But on a scale of 1 to 10, the install difficulty is a ...?

It wasn't too bad. I'd give it a 3 maybe? No jacking or crawling required and only one tough to get at bolt.

Irishman

Ricer
Reaction score
You will love the paxton. My car drives like stock until you want it to roar. I also love how the car just keeps pulling and never let's up. Your car must be really sweet with the 11:1 compression.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
lol Bruce I knew it. I'm surprised you made it this long. ;)

Congrats on the new setup. Your IATs are better than mine and I'm intercooled lol

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice Bruce!!!

Boost FTW!!

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I decided my car needed some more grunt and was faced with two choices similar in price.

I can't wait to see the new combo on the dyno Friday morning Bruce. Please excuse the mess in the dyno room though, we have a little remodel work going on.

Bruce man, you need help, professional help. I eagerly await your turbo install.

LOL, it seems that all my friends have a little case of ObsessiveCarDisorder.

bw281

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats, trying to see how you will like this kit against the past whipple.

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
lol

Are you inmune? lol.

I wish I was. If I knew how much I have spent on cars over the years, I would probably become ill. However, every hobby costs money so what the hell.

It's nice when the wifes understand though. Something tells me that Bruce's wife does. A few months ago, my wife wanted a new Viking range because cooking is her hobby. I asked her if a $10,000 range would make the food taste better. She said no. Then she asked me if the $20,000 I spent on my car this year makes me happy. It goes both ways I guess.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back