Boosted again. This time with a Paxton

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I wish I was. If I knew how much I have spent on cars over the years, I would probably become ill. However, every hobby costs money so what the hell.

It's nice when the wifes understand though. Something tells me that Bruce's wife does. A few months ago, my wife wanted a new Viking range because cooking is her hobby. I asked her if a $10,000 range would make the food taste better. She said no. Then she asked me if the $20,000 I spent on my car this year makes me happy. It goes both ways I guess.

She doesn't understand it. She does accept it though. The new furniture being delivered tomorrow helps her to accept it.

CutterWolf

Reaction score
Congrats! Love my Paxton and I have the air to air and its sweet! look into getting a Mafia for it unless your not running a stock MAF.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Pics of engine bay!

Here you go. Nothing fancy. I'll do the permanent routing once the intercooler is in.

IMG_1090.jpg

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Bruce!!!:clap: Please give feedback on the system once you've run it well.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Good Lord! I wasn't expecting this. First off my base tune had some power limiting errors in it that Andy at TMS figured out and fixed. My base tune couldn't even make 400rwhp. I had mistakes in vct and spark timing. After Andy got done going over it the first pull was 466. The act timing retard was tweaked a little more and the motor was allowed to cool some for the next pull. The maf maxed out just before 7k which is consistant with the Whipple configuration I had that maxed a stock maf at 488rwhp.

A little background on the motor for anyone who doesn't know. It's a 1L block out of a 2004 Mach 1. Bored .030" with Mahle flat top pistons making a calculated 11:1 compression. Cams are comp 127400 with comp 26113 springs. NA the motor made 335/298 with 92 octane pump.

Boost maxed at 10.5 psi (the motor was spinning at 7k). A/F was kept fat and spark timing is at 17 degrees but starts to get pulled at 150 iat and/or 204 ect.

And an FYI our own Marc s is now the GM at TMS (The Mustang Shop).

PaxtonDyno.jpg

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
nice Bruce!! gotta love the Corn!

FEAR THE EAR!!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Really good numbers for non cooled kit.How do you like the power compared to the whipple? Have a favorite either way?

Whipple is more fun but requires more attention when driving. This starts out just like an na motor but keeps pulling. It's really too soon to tell. I do like it though, especially for what it cost and what it does. I'll have more of an opinion when I can get to the track with it. An air to air kit will be fabbed up shortly too.

Bullitt3478

forum member
Reaction score
Cool. I was torn between the procharger and the whipple when I bought,so I wondered what you thought going from one to the other.I love my procharger but look over the fence at the whipple still...LOL

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
Bruce, I'm glad Andy was able to get more power out of it for you. Any issues with the tune in regards to driveabilty?

Mikes_BLK_GT

Mid-Life Crisis
Reaction score
She doesn't understand it. She does accept it though. The new furniture being delivered tomorrow helps her to accept it.

My Roush kit cost me a ford ranger LOL.......nothing like boost dont know what I ever did without it, congrats :clap:

HMMM driving distance to someone whom I can trust to dyno my car I might have to make that trip once the OT opens up again :)

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Holy shoot.

If you look at the dyno sheet the big increase comes on after 6k. At 6k it's 420 at 8 psi. Being able to spin it up to 7k generates 2.5psi more boost and 73 more hp.

In addition my 11:1 pistons make the effective compression about the same as a stock motor with 3 psi more boost.

You should give Marc a call now that he's the man over at TMS. He could probably give you a good deal on the kit installed and tuned.

Bruce, I'm glad Andy was able to get more power out of it for you. Any issues with the tune in regards to driveabilty?

The only issue is there is more power after 3k compared to my tune, lol. Andy adjusted spark timing, started retard earlier in the vct, changed the y axis for determining vct retard (I had it set to use load, he changed it back to the factory setting of torque), and changed anticipated torque in the drive by wire which is one thing I just don't have access to with prp.

I learned some important things just by having Andy go over the tune and explain what he was changing and why. IMO you have a very good tuner at your shop.

My Roush kit cost me a ford ranger LOL.......nothing like boost dont know what I ever did without it, congrats :clap:

HMMM driving distance to someone whom I can trust to dyno my car I might have to make that trip once the OT opens up again :)

When we lost John at HP Ranch I purchased prp because there just wasn't anyone around I trusted. That has since changed.

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
If you look at the dyno sheet the big increase comes on after 6k. At 6k it's 420 at 8 psi. Being able to spin it up to 7k generates 2.5psi more boost and 73 more hp.

In addition my 11:1 pistons make the effective compression about the same as a stock motor with 3 psi more boost.

You should give Marc a call now that he's the man over at TMS. He could probably give you a good deal on the kit installed and tuned.

The only issue is there is more power after 3k compared to my tune, lol. Andy adjusted spark timing, started retard earlier in the vct, changed the y axis for determining vct retard (I had it set to use load, he changed it back to the factory setting of torque), and changed anticipated torque in the drive by wire which is one thing I just don't have access to with prp.

I learned some important things just by having Andy go over the tune and explain what he was changing and why. IMO you have a very good tuner at your shop.

When we lost John at HP Ranch I purchased prp because there just wasn't anyone around I trusted. That has since changed.

Andy has come along way in a short amount of time. Thanks for the kind words, I will pass them on to him on Monday.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back