end MT-82 miss shifts

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Hey Chaps,

I just read (elsewhere) about MGW's Gen3 shifter that will incorporate most of the features of the GT500 shifter and should be unveiled at the end of the month. MGW (George) reports that the new design eliminates the need for a remote bracket. Sounds pretty intriguing. I am sure that I'm not the first to hear but I haven't seen any posts about it yet. Any speculation or discussion?

Chris

I've seen pictures as well on other forums but cannot recall where. How about starting a thread in the MGW forum and get George to fill us in? He does post here, he posted today.
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=116

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. LMK if you need anything when you put yours on. I gotta go polish my driveshaft after seeing the rust on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crazy::yuck:

Please DO NOT post a tutorial about polishing your shaft! Don't need the visual. :jerkoff: :yuck:

claudermilk

Reaction score
Well, I got my MGW shifter, BF bracket, and WL bushing all installed this weekend. What a difference! I'll stick to some observations on the bracket here.

It's a very nice piece, and installs easy. Since I did both the shifter and bracket I cannot speak to how much each contributes to the end result, but it does feel a whole lot more precise and "mechanical" for lack of a better term. Shifting is smoother and thus far on the street I have not gotten the 2-3 lockout. The 5-4 and 3-2 downshifts are buttery smooth, too.

One issue I ran into is the MGW heat shield and BF bracket. Note that this is for the current 2014 version of the MGW shifter. They simply won't work together. I did drill out some holes to clearance the locating bushing and got that all bolted together fine. The issue arises when you try to get the top half of the bracket mounted to the lower half. Because of the nuts holding the bottom of the shifter box, the heat shield stands a little off the base of the box. This means there is not enough room the get the BF bracket high enough to mount. I removed the heat shield are tried again. BTW, mounting & removing that shield is a big PITA since you cannot have the box mounted to the chassis. Once I got it all back together the problem became obvious. I could see that the bracket mounts in direct contact to the bottom of the shifter box, with the rearmost stud poking through the triangular cutouts. You would have to remove so much of the heat shield to make it work it isn't worth it.

I had to borrow a camera, so don't have pics yet, but I did try and take some to illustrate the problem. All that said, without the heat shield mounted, they play together fine.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't bother with re-installing the heat shield, not sure what it accomplishes anyway as the exhausts (OEM at least) and other heat sources aren't really that close to the shifter. Also all the other shifters that use the OEM box do fine without the shield. Agree that it's not worth the effort to modify and fuss with it.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Here are some pics of what I ran into.

Modded shield. This part actually worked nicely & I was able to bolt the bracket and bushing together.
i-J8jmvtP-M.jpg

Then the trouble starts...

With the shield installed, this is pushed as far up as it will go. This is pressed against the chassis.
i-JmpCGD7-M.jpg

Installed. Note how the bottom plate mount stud and nut sits within the cutout on the BF bracket and how the bracket sits in contact with the bottom of the MGW box. Those nuts turn into standoffs preventing proper spacing.
i-JQsHb4M-M.jpg

A closeup of the proper fit.
i-SMGPsRH-M.jpg

So that tells me everyone with an MGW already installed never tried to mount the shield or didn't bother to post of the issue. Hopefully this will save someone some time and trouble in the future. Installing & removing that shield with the box loose & dropping to the driveshaft is a PITA and added the better part of an hour screwing with the 1/2 ratchet wrench.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
It looks like you have the BF MGW shifter bracket on backwards.

THIS\/\/\/

I have plenty room.

Last edited:

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Maybe not. I think there is a reflection that I can now see that makes it look like the BF adapter is pushed back when it is not.

Hmmmm....dunno. Mine fit. Strange.

Maybe you got a BF Bracket reject. LOL!!!!

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Chaps,

I just read (elsewhere) about MGW's Gen3 shifter that will incorporate most of the features of the GT500 shifter and should be unveiled at the end of the month. MGW (George) reports that the new design eliminates the need for a remote bracket. Sounds pretty intriguing. I am sure that I'm not the first to hear but I haven't seen any posts about it yet. Any speculation or discussion?

Chris

Can you PM me the link please?

claudermilk

Reaction score
It looks like you have the BF MGW shifter bracket on backwards.

THIS\/\/\/

I have plenty room.

:headscratch:
Very odd. IIRC, you got your MGW recently, so I'd expect we both have the 2014 version. Looking at our photos, there's noting I can see that looks any different (including the bushing mounting--looks identical to me).

I'm sure I don't have any of the "reject" units. I got mine from CJPP and from the second batch. I doubt there's any dimensional difference there.

I might crawl under in a couple of weeks and try again.

BTW, you need to get under there and polish that driveshaft! Rust! :stir: That there is photographic proof that the car just rolls around the garage! My CA car has more rust on the driveshaft than yours does!

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Chaps,

I just read (elsewhere) about MGW's Gen3 shifter that will incorporate most of the features of the GT500 shifter and should be unveiled at the end of the month. MGW (George) reports that the new design eliminates the need for a remote bracket.Chris

Eliminates the need for a remote bracket, as in the BFR bracket won't be needed?

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
justinsstang:

Yes, that is my understanding. MGW says that the Gen3 shifter is for the 20% who are more hardcore (that is, the current MGW shifter is quite satisfactory for 80% of the Mustang MT mob). Looks like we have options galore!

Chris

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
Well dang it, now I have to wait to see if it's true. I was going to pick up the BFR soon because shifting in my 14 feels nasty sometimes. I wanted the MGW already, so if I can buy both solutions in one package for less, then that's fantastic =)

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Chaps,

Chris

PM inbound!

Chris

I can not find any info about that. Could you send me that link too?

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
luillo:

PM coming.

First, please check out the MGW forum in the Vendor's section here and see George's update (12-Nov-14!): the new GT shifter is going to be unveiled next week. I called MGW today and got on The List for one out of the first production run of 50 shifters. It looks like the GT500 shifter (from what I can see in the tiny thumbnail that George pasted into his post).

Here is the link to the MGW forum:

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117694

Pretty exciting that quality vendors are bringing well-engineered solutions to our MT-82's.

Chris

Last edited:

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
luillo:

PM coming.

First, please check out the MGW forum in the Vendor's section here and see George's update (12-Nov-14!): the new GT shifter is going to be unveiled next week. I called MGW today and got on The List for one out of the first production run of 50 shifters. It looks like the GT500 shifter (from what I can see in the tiny thumbnail that George pasted into his post).

Here is the link to the MGW forum:

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117694

Pretty exciting that quality vendors are bringing well-engineered solutions to our MT-82's.

Chris

I will be doing a McLeod RST clutch and Steel flywheel swap and I will be looking at these shifter soon too. I was considering the BF bracket but we will see.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
As I've already got the MGW and blowfish bracket installed (and well pleased with the results), I'm thinking the new shifter is just a new way to get to the same place? If I were starting from OEM however, this would be quite interesting. I've got to admit, I don't understand the use of the body mounted rear bracket, even if it's optional. A true top-loader has no connection to the body.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back