My 3V Build

hellion

Banned
Reaction score
so what kind of deal u get on the a arms and k member??

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you all have any recommendations on what blow off valve to use? I was running a forge dump valve but I don't think it will handle the volume from ~20psi of boost.

I have searched and asked about this and still haven't talked to anyone that has done much with the bypass valves on the 2200's. I am leaning towards a Procharger open race valve along with a sct5000 maf used as a blow through setup. I personally don't like the way the abaco meter looks and haven't heard of many people using them.

I am not sure on the placement of the procharger race valve but will be installing the maf sensor in the straight tube between the intercooler and the throttle body. With the PowerPipe, what did you have to do with the stock bypass system?

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
you should use two by pass valves one before the I/C and one after the I/C to balance the pressure wave . I have used the Vortech mini race valves up to 20 psi with good luck before (even though that say its only good up to 16-17 psi ) but if you use two of them you'll be OK .

also the regular Vortech by pass valve is good also but there big and bulky, there is still room for them but fab work will be needed.

I think th main thing will be to run the discharge flow back into th blower or vent them into the atmosphere. I always ran them back into the intake just because of tuning issues and drivable problems you might encounter venting them to open air.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just trying to learn more, if you have the maf sensor after the bypass valves what tuning issues are associated with venting into the atmosphere?

09Stroker

forum member
Reaction score
Just trying to learn more, if you have the maf sensor after the bypass valves what tuning issues are associated with venting into the atmosphere?

No real tuning issues with it as long as the MAF is after the valves...otherwise you are venting metered air. It brings the temp sensor closer to the intake which is good. The only thing my tuner didn't like was the abaco dbx meter itself.

I also managed to pick up a Mondo valve so I will have to find some place to mount it.

09Stroker

forum member
Reaction score
A few things !

If you don't get your heads done thats fine but at least get some bronze guides @ new seals with a good valve job . It looks like your going to be pushing 18-20 psi I would take a good hard look at the exhaust valve stems they look like there pretty thin ( I don't know if you would have a problem with them or not ...maybe some one with more valve experience can chime in ?).

I decided to go with the Livernnois Stage 3 heads and livernois's equivalent of the Comp Stage 2 blower cam w/ phaser lockouts. So I will be putting my 09 heads up for sale ...look for them in the classifieds.

09Stroker

forum member
Reaction score
I got some time to work on the car over the holidays. I replaced the rear control arms with UMI pieces, an adjustable UCA and fixed length LCA's with their relocation brackets and their spacers for taking the slop out of the upper control arm. I went with them because I liked their brackets better then anyone else's. I will be having them welded in shortly.

PC040259.jpg

PC040258.jpg

I also installed the Fore triple pump fuel system. I picked it up used from Wes at TPS so it was already assembled which made things a breeze.
PB210242.jpg

PC040257.jpg

PC040261.jpg

09Stroker

forum member
Reaction score
I also got in my TR6060 transmission and the Steeda Tri-Ax, just waiting on my dss one piece driveshaft to show up and some oddball pieces from Ford. Turns out the only way to get the rubber bushing for the shift arm is to buy an entire oem shifter. However in my search I did find the Paul's High Performance caries a nylon bushing kit that replaces the rubber bushings...it is pricy though.
PC040262.jpg

PC040263.jpg

I have been waiting about a week for Livernois to ship me a set of Stage 3 heads with their Stage 3 blower cams (same exact thing as Comp Stage 2 blower cams). In my research on the cams I found that alot of people don't have enough vacuum to run their brakes so I ordered a SSBC electric brake booster kit. The pump is pretty bulky though at ~10 lbs. I am going to hold off on installing to see if I can get away with just a vacuum canister but if not I will have it waiting.

Last edited:

hellion

Banned
Reaction score
how bad was it pulling the motor and tranny out together? i have always removed my tranny first but this seems to be a nice idea,does it work for reinstallation?,thanks for your time

09Stroker

forum member
Reaction score
how bad was it pulling the motor and tranny out together? i have always removed my tranny first but this seems to be a nice idea,does it work for reinstallation?,thanks for your time

It wasn't too bad... the arm on my engine crane is a little bit short so it might be a little more difficult getting it back in and over the engine mounts but nothing I can't work around, and still easier then putting the transmission in after the engine is in the car.

I may even do it the easy way and just rent my friend's lift for the day and drop the k-member and put the motor in from under the car.

Tom

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks to JPC for the beautiful intake and Tom with Hurricane Performance for the awesome deal on the BMR K-Member and A-Arms.

I worked for a little while yesterday and got the k-member and a-arms put on. Just have to torque down the steering rack today. Having the engine out makes it a breeze...you can just sit up in the engine compartment.

No prob man, glad to be of service

09Stroker

forum member
Reaction score
Any updates?

As many of you have probably noticed I changed my mind mid game and put my paxton up for sale. I am going with the turbohorsepower twin tubo kit with 61mm turbos. The adjustability of a turbo, the shear pontential and the deal I was able to find made it too attractive for me to pass up.

The engine is still in the process of being built, had been waiting for the gaskets,seals to show up from Ford then my builder slipped and fell in his shop so I have been waiting for him to recover and get back to work. Also still waiting on Livernois to send my heads out. I had ordered their stage 3 blower cams but I'll see if I can't exchange them for the turbo cams. I was looking at the specs and they are damn near identical except for a degree of lobe seperation. I'm not cam expert so I dont really know if that degree of seperation would make any noticeable difference or not.

If I had one piece of advice for anyone looking into doing a build sit down and plan things out and figure out what you really want because flip flopping gets expensive.

My shift knob showed up from MRT this week...looks great.
PC120274.jpg

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Interesting build with great detailed information. Looking forward to reading more and seeing the results of your efforts. Very nice!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back