My #8 goes bye bye and who know's why - OP runs and hides

35anngt

Then you're paying an assload in labor. The pistons are dirt cheap, as are all the related parts (head bolts, gaskets, etc).

Do you have a better solution? This is the first year of this motor, why would I do it myself or take it somewhere else other than Ford? Not being sarcastic, I would just like to know my options if you have a better solution, thanks.

2010GT

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so you say Ford can tell if the computer has been flashed. What about getting a new PCM to replace the flashed one? Does Ford have to flash the new PCM for it to work on your car, or will it be a drop in and go type deal? Seems to me if we could replace the PCM then there would be no way Ford could PROVE we had any mods on the car if they were removed. I may be way off base as I don't know alot about PCM's on these new cars, but I thaught it was an interesting idea if it was possible.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
kn7671 said:
If anything, it should be clear that people are wanting to understand why this happened, as we still don't know for sure why this keeps effecting #8. The reason people questioned you about the dyno, is because anytime you modify that alters the state of engine tune, you should spend the $50-100 to get a baseline of the change in power and A/F ratio. Since you failed to do this, and fail to see the value in such, you're taking a hard lesson on the chin.

We ARE talking about an infamous John Lund tune. I would think I could just upload it and run with it? No? I would love it if Mr Lund would chime in and offer some insight. I'm not by any means stirring a pot but this #8 piston popping stuff is getting wild and this allegation against an extremely reputable tuner in the Mustang world would warrant a rebuttle.........I would think.

Last edited:

35anngt

I'll have to find the thread as well on that one ^ regarding the pcmApparently the computer Ford has will see it has been switched for some reason. Don't quote me but I will find the thread on that later tonight and post my find. Basically no It will not work, sorry..

Witt

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so you say Ford can tell if the computer has been flashed. What about getting a new PCM to replace the flashed one? Does Ford have to flash the new PCM for it to work on your car, or will it be a drop in and go type deal? Seems to me if we could replace the PCM then there would be no way Ford could PROVE we had any mods on the car if they were removed. I may be way off base as I don't know alot about PCM's on these new cars, but I thaught it was an interesting idea if it was possible.
I think its been shown that trying to scam Ford into warrantying aftermarket powertrain modifications is pretty much a waste of time.

Bodam

forum member
Reaction score
If anything, it should be clear that people are wanting to understand why this happened, as we still don't know for sure why this keeps effecting #8.

+1, I'd still like to get some straight answers of what happened.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
We ARE talking about an infamous John Lund tune. I would think I could just upload it and run with it? No? I would love it if Mr Lund would chime in and offer some insight.

+1 many people said it would never happen with a lund tune (nothing against lund) but it was like "lund is god point blank won't happen that's what we spend $200 for"

Witt

forum member
Reaction score
+1, I'd still like to get some straight answers of what happened.
The conditions at the time of the initial failure are probably the most interesting although from reading past posts I'm not sure if the OP knows exactly when it failed as he was posting about slight smoke that got worse over time.

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score
We ARE talking about an infamous John Lund tune. I would think I could just upload it and run with it? No? I would love it if Mr Lund would chime in and offer some insight. I'm not by any means stirring a pot but this #8 piston popping stuff is getting wild and this allegation against an extremely reputable tuner in the Mustang world would warrant a rebuttle.........I would think.

+1 all i have heard is jon lund is the best...would love a comment from him. Not saying hes not the best nor put blame on him but would be nice to hear his side of story.

BTW yes im a newbie - im not here to stir trouble - i to have a 2011 mustang 5.0 and concerned about tunes destroying cylinder 8 thats all.

Sorry OP for the troubles you have run into- hope it gets fixed and not break the piggy bank.

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
when the hell did ford every warranty a modded motor?! NEVER! trust me when i say this that the OP should have kept his mouth shut and swore up and down that he didnt mod the car and should have drain the battery and then had the car towed into ford. kinda hard to place blame on a faulty battery if they are looking for drive cycles that were wiped. The guy basically let the dealer take him. DO YOU THINK FORD CARES ABOUT REPLACING A MOTOR!?! **** NO! The dealer marking up the new motor does cuz that 7K+ labor that they are losing out on instead of some shottie book time the tech will have to work overly hard to finish just to make his deadline

Well since I'm pendantic....if you had Ford Racing parts installed at the dealer, like the whipple kit and used their tune, you retained your warranty. That goes for the new cars too.

linnE

forum member
Reaction score
Alright inspector gadget, I read about another forum member who had his warranty honored and awhile after Ford came knocking wanting their money back. Reason? They found posts from him on a forum stating he had a tune and that was evidence against him. Feel free to post this to s197, And dyno? Why would I dyno It? It is the email Cammed tune that is sent of off lethals website. Imho it should be safe enough, not everyone has the money or time to run to the dyno and have the afr's checked, did you think about that one?

This Is a post between viciousjay and myself from svtp.

As far as what is being replaced I was confused and may have gave a confusing answer. To clear it up,

The fix will NOT be under warranty. I will pay put of MY pocket for new pistons, gaskets, fluids, etc. And labor. Clear? hope so.

an e tune should always be verified even from reputable tuners..it is the only way to know for sure that the programing is functioning the way it is suppose to..and that the AF is safe
and can be as easy as street runs to datalog specific parameters
also monitoring the Af with affordable portable wide bands should be a basic mod to have to insure the longevity of your engine

with the datalogging capabilities of your hand held tuners and the availability of affordable WBs installed in your vehicles.. running to the dyno is not necessary..Innovate has a new product that is less than $200..the MTX-L

OP..sorry to hear about your issues

ViciousJay

forum member
Reaction score
lets get the story straight here he did the following so before anyone jumps down my throat here's the story

1. Bought a cool car
2. Modded it
3. SAID SCREW A DYNO PULL IM SAFE
4. CAR SAID OH NO YOU DIDNT, and BLEW SKY HIGH

if he would have just kicked up 100 extra bucks and had it dyno'ed this thread wouldnt be here i bet.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
lets get the story straight here he did the following so before anyone jumps down my throat here's the story

1. Bought a cool car
2. Modded it
3. SAID SCREW A DYNO PULL IM SAFE
4. CAR SAID OH NO YOU DIDNT, and BLEW SKY HIGH

if he would have just kicked up 100 extra bucks and had it dyno'ed this thread wouldnt be here i bet

Why would you have to double check a LUND tune bro? That's like checking the bible for grammatical errors.

ViciousJay

forum member
Reaction score
Well since I'm pendantic....if you had Ford Racing parts installed at the dealer, like the whipple kit and used their tune, you retained your warranty. That goes for the new cars too.

theyll warranty the parts and labor but i doubt the motor

Bodam

forum member
Reaction score
The conditions at the time of the initial failure are probably the most interesting although from reading past posts I'm not sure if the OP knows exactly when it failed as he was posting about slight smoke that got worse over time.
I'd like to know the mods on the car, etc. I too have a Lund street tune, and it bothers me to see a post that just calls out the tuner, when it could be a number of things.

Witt

forum member
Reaction score
theyll warranty the parts and labor but i doubt the motor
They'll warranty the powertrain for 12months/12k miles or whatever you have left on the original warranty, whichever is less, but only if a Ford dealer installs the kits.

ViciousJay

forum member
Reaction score
Why would you have to double check a LUND tune bro? That's like checking the bible for grammatical errors.

is this a joke? If not delete my account cuz this place just turned into the biggest joke of a site

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
About the bible yes, about lund no, in alot of peoples minds he is pretty much the tuning god.
So why would you have to check his work?

Back