N/A Coyote A6 cars in the 11s - what's your combo?

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
Bumping this for another question.

I just added a Boss manifold and installing an offroad X-pipe in the next couple days.

I still have my stock 3.15 gears and converter. With my 255/50-16 (26") drag radials, is this thing gonna be more of a turd in the 60' than it was with the stock manifold/cats or not a real noticeable difference? According to my calcs it will be just about bumping the limiter now (7700rpm) at the top of 3rd (116-maybe 118mph in great air). Would I be better off with some 3.73s to try and get it to 60' better and force a shift into 4th, or just leave it and try it as-is?

I just can't justify $1500+ installed for a good converter right now.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
A converter is a must for what you're trying to do. I would have done that long before the Boss intake.

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
A converter is a must for what you're trying to do. I would have done that long before the Boss intake.

Looks like a number of people are in the 11s with stock converter. Not that I don't want to do it, but like I say $1500 is out of the question at this point. I would just spray it into the 10s for that money. I got a used $350 Boss manifold to try, if it doesn't work out I'm sure I can re-sell it and not lose $$. I see that TCI sells a Streetfighter converter now for $500-something but I hear some negatives about their converters for the 5R55 so I dunno.

I think I will just run it the way it is (I will do some minor weight removal also like lighter front wheels, remove front sway bar, etc) and see if I can squeak out an 11.99 in cool fall air.

What does your car run, GrabberBlue?

Last edited:

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
What does your car run, GrabberBlue?
My best is an 11.81 but that was last Fall. This weekend all I could muster was an 12.2. I run the stock converter and stock 3.15's. This Winter I'm not going to screw around anymore. I'll be putting in a Circle D.

I think you'll have little luck running the Boss intake with stock gears and stock converter. Good luck with whatever you do.

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
My best is an 11.81 but that was last Fall. This weekend all I could muster was an 12.2. I run the stock converter and stock 3.15's. This Winter I'm not going to screw around anymore. I'll be putting in a Circle D.

I think you'll have little luck running the Boss intake with stock gears and stock converter. Good luck with whatever you do.

Thank you. What DA was that 11.81 in? And what was it last weekend for you? Just curious. Thanks.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
If you go to 3.73s even with the stock tc you will have troubles with traction. I went to 3.73s and gained 0 from 60 to the 1320. A local guy experimented with the stocker and boss with different mods. The boss cost a tenth with the stock tc and gained a tenth with a circle d. Each day of testing was the same day he would switch intakes. Just save your money for a tc.

Last edited:

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
If you go to 3.73s even with the stock tc you will have troubles with traction. I went to 3.73s and gained 0 from 60 to the 1320. A local guy experimented with the stocker and boss with different mods. The boss cost a tenth with the stock tc and gained a tenth with a circle d. Each day of testing was the same day he would switch intakes. Just save your money for a tc.
It sounds like you are suggesting that a gear swap (which might go 1.8x 60') will give me traction issues, while a tc swap (which should go 1.6x) won't? That makes no sense. Maybe I misinterpreted.

Did you swap gears before or after the torque converter install? I've read that if you already have a tc, gears do pretty much nothing.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
It sounds like you are suggesting that a gear swap (which might go 1.8x 60') will give me traction issues, while a tc swap (which should go 1.6x) won't? That makes no sense. Maybe I misinterpreted.

Did you swap gears before or after the torque converter install? I've read that if you already have a tc, gears do pretty much nothing.

He is saying don't waste money on gears. The best gains to be had are with the TQ converter.

Here is a car I worked on that has minimal mods running mid-11's. Stock intake, stock 3.15 gear.

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
The best gains to be had are with the TQ converter.

I think we've established that, and I'm not arguing that. I can get a set of gears, with install cost, for about $300, vs the $1500-$1600 installed cost of the converter. Obviously the gear swap won't help as much, but I find it hard to believe that it doesn't help at leat a little with a stock-converter Boss intake setup. But if it really won't help, I won't bother.

Also, I only go to the track 3 or 4 times a year, and I don't run drag radials on the street with this car because I drive it so much in various summer weather conditions, so I'm guessing that with a good converter I'll be just blowing the tires off on the street.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I think we've established that, and I'm not arguing that. I can get a set of gears, with install cost, for about $300, vs the $1500-$1600 installed cost of the converter. Obviously the gear swap won't help as much, but I find it hard to believe that it doesn't help at leat a little with a stock-converter Boss intake setup. But if it really won't help, I won't bother.

Also, I only go to the track 3 or 4 times a year, and I don't run drag radials on the street with this car because I drive it so much in various summer weather conditions, so I'm guessing that with a good converter I'll be just blowing the tires off on the street.

A converter is going to be more forgiving vs. more gear. There will be slippage and flare. With a gear you get the TQ multiplication regardless.

If you do more gear, a 3.31 with the Boss intake AND a converter is where you need to head. The Boss intake is going to be less than optimal at the track without a converter and it isn't needed to run 11's. You can do that with the stock intake and the stock 3.15 gear using a converter same as the green car in the vid.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
Seriously skip the gear it is a waste of time. I gained nothing with 3.73 but traction issues. Save that money for a tc. My car is very street able with a 4c (3800 stall). I am going with a 3.31 soon but would do the 3.15 again if I had to. I run mid 11s with mods in sig weighing 3850 with me in it.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
The only reason I did the 3.73 is my shop had some laying around and we did some experimenting. 3.31 will be perfect to cross the stripe at the top of third.

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
3.31 will be perfect to cross the stripe at the top of third.

Thanks. Actually I think it will be close with my little 26" tires and my 3.15s. We will see. On average-DA days when the car traps 116 it should have plenty of room but if we get a really good air day and the car maybe goes 118(?) it will be close.

When I ran my 12.26 at 116 a month or so ago it did it with 6800 shift points that had the car shifting into 4th at about the 1000' mark (or maybe even earlier)...not ideal. Hopefully the 7700 limiter I have now will be ideal for flying through at the top of 3rd with good power still from the Boss intake.

Offroad X-pipe is on the car now. Haven't driven it yet though.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
Thanks. Actually I think it will be close with my little 26" tires and my 3.15s. We will see. On average-DA days when the car traps 116 it should have plenty of room but if we get a really good air day and the car maybe goes 118(?) it will be close.

When I ran my 12.26 at 116 a month or so ago it did it with 6800 shift points that had the car shifting into 4th at about the 1000' mark (or maybe even earlier)...not ideal. Hopefully the 7700 limiter I have now will be ideal for flying through at the top of 3rd with good power still from the Boss intake.

Offroad X-pipe is on the car now. Haven't driven it yet though.

I ran 26" at first and it would shift to fourth just before the stripe.

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
Well I'm getting a Circle D converter ASAP. Should be perfect with my Boss manifold, 26" tire, stock gear, NA setup. I can't wait! I'm going to the track this Saturday with the stock converter to see what does, then a couple weeks later with the Circle D 5C.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Well I'm getting a Circle D converter ASAP. Should be perfect with my Boss manifold, 26" tire, stock gear, NA setup. I can't wait! I'm going to the track this Saturday with the stock converter to see what does, then a couple weeks later with the Circle D 5C.

Just got my Circle D converter in 4 days ago and love it! I asked for a 4,500 rpm stall, and it's actually flashing a few hundred rpm's higher. Had a 1-piece aluminum d/s & safety loop installed at the same time. Just need a great tune to take advantage of the higher stall, now.

Next track day is this coming Friday (weather permitting). Stock, my '14 GT with just drag radials & tune went 12.60's with the stock converter (DA was 1000' to 1600' above sea level), so I'm hoping for low 12's with the converter & d/s (maybe even high 11's now that the weather has cooled off a lot).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back