Oil pump swap

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone got a suggestion for removing the oil pump with the engine in the car. I am going to remove the front cover to remove heads and want to double check the oils gears and maybe drop some billet gears in. Can you do it with the oil pan on?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, I will have to give it a shot and see. I know the oil pump it self can come out but the pickup tune is what I was concerned with removing from the oil pump body

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
Ya, have to be careful, drop a bolt and pan may come off any way. Full disclosure, I've never done it with the pan on but my friend has.

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
Ok yeah I have a magnet stick just incase

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Just shove a towel in the front of the pan underneath and behind that pickup tube, have a magnet stick handy it's no big deal. When you put the new pump in leave the pump housing bolts loose so you can wiggle the pump a bit when putting the pickup tube bolts in.

Plenty of room to place that towel and still work with your hands getting those pickup tube bolts in.
5Q9DMbP.jpg

Get one of these little telescoping mirrors too while your at it for timing.
epqjzqz.jpg

Last edited:

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome. I have a mirror also. I have been meaning to swap my gears to a billet geared pump.

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
I'm at the tail end of a long graveyard shift and I had to look three times because it looked like you were talking to yourself lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back