The "Gray Ghost" gets a new JDM 302E Engine and more for the road course!!

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
My 2009 Mustang GT arrived at JDM Engineering in New Jersey for a significant upgrade - the 302E forged stroker shortblock!

l.jpg

13372720.jpg

Here's a list of all the "goodies" going in over the next several weeks:

• New FRPP Aluminator block #M-6010-A46NA: Plate hones for a truer bore geometry
  • Speed Pro NASCAR bearings
  • JDM Spec ring pack with Moly top rings for better seal and longevity
  • JDM Spec Custom Forged Manley Pistons
  • Manley Forged Steel 4340 Connecting Rods with ARP Fasteners
  • JDM Spec Kellogg Forged Steel Crankshaft
  • Induction Hardened Journals and 8 Bolt Flange
  • ATI 15% Dampner Pulley
  • 3V Cam Adjuster
  • FRPP 39 lbs Fuel Injectors (new style)
  • Shelby Oil Pump O-Ringed with TSS Billet Gears
  • Moroso Oil Pan #20548 with Windage Tray #22933
  • Ford Racing CNC Ported Cylinder Heads #M-6049/6050-N3VPA
  • JDM Custom Grind Comp Cams
  • PAC 1233 Valve Springs
  • Ford Racing Laser Etched Black Valve Covers
  • JPC Braided Clutch Line Kit
  • Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch
  • SPEC Billet Steel Flywheel
  • New OEM Battery
Additional performance mods currently include:

Brakes, Suspension and Cooling:

• Wilwood Superlite SL6/SL4 BBK with Wilwood Brake Flexline Kits
  • Vogtland 1.2" Sport Springs
  • Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber Plates
  • Steeda Sport Sway Bars with billet end links
  • Koni Yellow Sport Adjustable Front /Rear Struts & Shocks
  • Cervini Type III Chin Spoiler Textured Black
  • Steeda X5 Ball Joint & Bumpsteer Kit
  • BMR Lower Control Arms with poly bushings
  • Steeda Adjustable Upper Comp/Street Kit w/ HD Mount
  • Agent 47 High Flow Lower Grill and Agent 47 Cooling Kit
  • Carbotech Brake Pads XP12 – Front XP10 - Rear
  • Fays2 F2S Watts Link
  • Griggs Racing Power Steering Cooler
  • Fluidyne Aluminum Radiator
  • Taylor Battery Relocation Kit - NHRA Approved (Trunk)
  • APR Performance Carbon Fiber Adjustable Rear Wing GTC-200
Engine, Drivetrain and Exhaust:

• BBK Twin 62mm Throttle Body
  • 2008 OEM Intake Manifold with Steeda Billet CMDPs
  • American Racing 1 5/8" LT Headers with Catted X-pipe
  • Bassani Stainless Steel 2.5" Race Exhaust
  • Ford Racing Gears 3.55
  • Spydershaft 4.0” Aluminum Driveshaft
  • Steeda Lightweight Radiator Support
  • MGW Shifter 3650 and Roush Billet Shift Knob w/ Grips
  • Moroso Radiator Expansion tank
  • S.O.S. Triple Pillar Pod with Auto Meter Gauges
  • Raptor Shift Light (Black with Red LED)
  • Ford Racing Rear Differential Cover
  • Torsen T2R 8.8" 31 Spline LSD
  • Front and Rear Tow Hooks (Recovery)
~~ BEFORE ~~~

I'm looking forward to the AFTER performance results on the track at VIR in 2013!!!​

Jim Jr., good meeting you at JDM and taking the time to review all the details supporting this project. I appreciate your technical recommendations and patience in answering all my questions over the past several weeks. Mike

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Man, that was fun to watch. Great driving.

Was the person in the C6 a friend? Wonder if they said anything about you hanging so close.

You raced in both a Corvette and a Mustang. Do you feel like the Mustang is the way to go? Seems like it may be less expensive and still do just as well.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Man, that was fun to watch. Great driving.

Was the person in the C6 a friend? Wonder if they said anything about you hanging so close.

You raced in both a Corvette and a Mustang. Do you feel like the Mustang is the way to go? Seems like it may be less expensive and still do just as well.

Hey Marc, the guy in the Corvette C6 Grand Sport was an Instructor for that event, and he stopped by after that session to talk about my Mustang GT and the fact that he couldn't shake me as I kept reeling him in at the turns and esses (Corvette territory).

The S197 Mustang is great "bang for the buck" on the road courses IF its properly setup, which is why I share ALL my mods with the forum so others can learn from my setup and save themselves some money in the process by applying my research and lessons.

After I get my car back from JDM and take it to VIR in May.... I'll be looking for more Corvettes, and my Corvette buddies know I'll be hunting them down. LOL! I only had 325 rwhp in that video, and I hope to be at 390+ with more torque with the new setup! Mike

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Great feedback Mike. I really appreciate it. Very looking forward to learning next season too. I'm excited about moving from drag to road course.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
How many miles were on your 3V when it took a dump? And how many of those were open track miles?

I had just had a set of Comp Cam springs installed before losing the engine, which is where I believe I had the failure. I've since learned they are basically 2V valve springs and don't seat securely in the 3V heads, which can lead to binding, breaking and other problems at higher RPMs, etc. The engine was running very strong and reliably prior to receiving the new Comp Cam springs.... going with the PAC Racing springs on this build. I will know more from JDM after they remove and tear down the old block. If you're upgrading your springs - go with the PAC valve springs that JDM recommends.

Last edited:

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score
I had just had a set of Comp Cam springs installed before losing the engine, which is where I believe I had the failure. I've since learned they are basically 2V valve springs and don't seat securely in the 3V heads, which can lead to binding, breaking and other problems at higher RPMs, etc. The engine was running very strong and reliably prior to receiving the new Comp Cam springs.... going with the PAC Racing springs on this build. I will know more from JDM after they remove and tear down the old block. If you're upgrading your springs - go with the PAC valve springs that JDM recommends.

Not doing cams but I am trying to plan my track build. Just wanted to see how well a "stock" 3V with full bolt ons held up against the constant track abuse. This is still my plan, I just didn't want to waste my time with it if it's only going to last a couple months.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Not doing cams but I am trying to plan my track build. Just wanted to see how well a "stock" 3V with full bolt ons held up against the constant track abuse. This is still my plan, I just didn't want to waste my time with it if it's only going to last a couple months.

Sustained high RPMs is the biggest threat to the stock 3V bottom end (rods and rod bolts), so just limit your shifting to 6,000 RPMs and you'll be fine. Spend your money on the suspension, brakes and cooling.... then lots of seat time (driver skills wins over horsepower more times than not on a road course). :thumb:

california gt

senior citizen member
Reaction score
"driver skills wins over horsepower more times than not on a road course."

yes indeed! nice driving.

TrickyP

Booyah!
Reaction score

Do they have those PAC springs listed on their website by chance? And what cams were you using?

Last edited:

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Do they have those PAC springs listed on their website by chance? And what cams were you using?

Here's a link to the PAC 1233 valve springs for the 3V modular engine. I couldn't find a link on their website.

I had the Comp Cams 127400 cams. Nice cams - definitely not part of the problem.

I'm a huge fan of the PAC Racing springs. I use the PAC 1518 in my Corvette race car!

Last edited:

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats! That will be a helluva track car. The guys over there are JDM are top notch. Loveee my 302E.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Here's a link to the PAC 1233 valve springs for the 3V modular engine. I couldn't find a link on their website.

I had the Comp Cams 127400 cams. Nice cams - definitely not part of the problem.

I'm a huge fan of the PAC Racing springs. I use the PAC 1518 in my Corvette race car!

Thanks for link. I was about to get some comp springs.

What retainers do you need for them?

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Thanks for link. I was about to get some comp springs.

What retainers do you need for them?

You can keep your OEM retainers or go with the Comp Cams Steel (#700-24) or Titanium (#702-24) retainers. Call JDM (Jim III) at 732.780.0770 to confirm.

The Comp Cam springs appear to be the problem. We'll know more in a week or two. Happy to help.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back