How hard is it to install a 2005 GT engine bay wiring harness?

Spence340

Reaction score
Looking to pick up a 2005 GT convertible automatic with 104,000 miles, 1ZVHT85H255186025 that was hit from the front. The connectors to the PCM got whacked pretty good so I need to change out the wiring harness. Is it very hard to do and how specific does the harness have to be? Will a 2006 harness work no problem? Does it have to be from a convertible and an automatic car?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I can only relate to halfway removing a harness when I put a new stroked shortblock in my 2009 Bullitt. Everything lays out in line so if it is in the right place, each connector is right next to whatever it connects to. Removing the old harness, start at the front of the engine and work your way back. Pay attention to how it is routed and where it connects. Reverse for installation.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Are the wires actually damaged of just the pcm plugs?
Its not hard to repin a new connector.

Spence340

Reaction score
Just one wire is cut (it's light green/torquoise color) and I think it is out of the middle plug and could be connected or soldered back together. Car will not crank over right now but dash lights come on when you turn the key but it does not look quite right. Repinning would be nice, it doesn't look easy to do, can you just pull them out and reinsert in a good plug?

whitmanink

Reaction score
the 2005 and 2006 have the same bcm and engine harness plug,, the 07 and up they changed body plugs into the ecu,, im pretty sure the engine harness may be the same, ,, im not %100 on that but is worth looking into,,
as far as the connections once you get a new harness?
as said above, everything falls into place ,, and if you cannot figure one out , just shoot a pic and me or someone will tell you where it goes ,

whitmanink

Reaction score
you can put them in a new plug,, id suggest a plug pin removal tool to make life easier ,, or solder that broken wire and see what happens,, try the cheapest quickest thing first (repair that wire) , and go from there ,,

Spence340

Reaction score
OK, I just saw some pin removal kits on ebay which I will order, I have to pull the fenders anyway so I will pull the inside liners as well so I should have plenty of room to work with and be able to see what goes where. Good info on the years so I will stick with '05 and '06, I have a line on a '06 harness and since my car was built 03/05 I should be good. From what I have read I need to get the harness from an automatic car which makes sense, but does it have to come off a convertible car as well? If the I can just do the PMC plugs, I will do that first and see what happens, like you said "cheapest quickest thing first" sounds good to me.

whitmanink

Reaction score
convertible's ,make no difference in harness style ,, only added weight to the chassis to reinforce no roof

Spence340

Reaction score
Trying to get this car running and I’m wondering if relays might be blown from when the car was whacked in the front and everything was pushed in six inches. Some things must have shorted out I would assume.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back