New (to me) GT500 and My GT/CS Odometer Fiasco

Reaction score
Well... where to begin... the good news: I picked up the 09 GT500 vert I was looking at down in Casa Grande at the Ford Dealer. I got it with 54k on the clock for 34 out the door after tax, tag, title. Not too bad for these parts. The 3 I looked at in Phoenix (07s and 08s) had more miles (around 80k) and they were starting at 35 / 36.

It's beautiful. Garage kept, like new everywhere you look. Steeda pulley, CAI, Roush exhaust and a tune that must have been done by someone really good because it's smooth as glass. Absolutely beautiful and surprisingly quiet for a convertible. Brand new wheels and Goodyear Eagle F1 tires. KR extractor hood is a nice touch too! Pics will be below.

Now the bad news... sort of... I was going to trade the 07 GT/CS in. They loved it until they ran the Equifax Car Check on it. Apparently the odometer had been rolled back not once, but twice before I bought it. The used dealer in Tucson I bought it from only showed me a CarFax and it didn't catch the odometer discrepancy. It also didn't catch the rollover with frame damage accident. When I bought it they showed me the CarFax and neither of those things was on there. I called this used dealer and let the know the situation. They pulled the Equifax Car Check themselves and had a panic attack over the phone. They said the GM will call me Monday when he gets in.

Here's what I'm proposing to them. They come get the car and give me my money back. That simple. They can take it up with CarFax and try to recoup their money there. Otherwise, I'm reporting them to the Arizona AG and hiring an attorney. I have the odometer statement they signed saying it was accurate miles and I have the ADOT paperwork they filled out and signed stating it was an "A" box clean odometer titled vehicle. I'll keep you all updated on Monday after I hear from the GM.

So my driveway looks a little cool right now. I have the 07 GT/CS sitting there and the 09 GT500 sitting next to it. But, I honestly can't wait for the 07 to be gone. It needs to go to the crusher or be parted out to be honest and that's terrible because it's a BEAUTIFUL car.

So back to the good news, here's the pics as promised:

PXL_20240629_221947425 RESIZED.jpg

PXL_20240629_221850867 RESIZED.jpg

PXL_20240629_221934016 RESIZED .jpg

PXL_20240629_222227056 - RESIZED.jpg

Screenshot_20240629-213625 RESIZED.jpg

PXL_20240629_202938516~2 RESIZED.jpg

PXL_20240629_203436646~2 RESIZED.jpg

20230902_064757 RESIZED.jpg

Miker

Reaction score
I like your CS and the GT500 is a great color. Never seen a GT500 without the plaque in the middle of the dash.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
I like your CS and the GT500 is a great color. Never seen a GT500 without the plaque in the middle of the dash.
I've hardly ever seen one. It's not stock. Only SGT and KR had a "factory" plaque.

OP, the $400 plaque from Shelby IS a nice touch. I did get it fro my 08 GT500.

How long have you have the 07 CS? Was this rollback old? Wonder if it was cluster swapped...
If you have an SCT or Forscan you can see the mileage stored in the ECM...

Reaction score
I've hardly ever seen one. It's not stock. Only SGT and KR had a "factory" plaque.

OP, the $400 plaque from Shelby IS a nice touch. I did get it fro my 08 GT500.

How long have you have the 07 CS? Was this rollback old? Wonder if it was cluster swapped...
If you have an SCT or Forscan you can see the mileage stored in the ECM...

Hey Mac,

I looked on the Shelby site where you used to be able to order those plaques just out of curiosity and they now show "Discontinued". I'm assuming because Carroll Shelby passed away? There are some reproductions that people are making now but I don't know if my brain would let me put one of those in knowing it wasn't actually from Shelby.

I've had the CS since last September. The report Ford gave me says the first rollback of 10k miles happened in 2018 and the 2nd rollback of about 20k more miles happened a couple years later. All in all, the used dealer I bought it from had the responsibility to pull that same report and know what they were selling. They were also dishonest about the "minor fender bender"... it was a rollover with structural damage and an airbag deployment so hardly a fender bender. One other thing that happened is that the day after purchasing it the CEL came on and it was for O2 sensors so I'm assuming the dealer cleared the code right before I picked it up.

I checked over my Warranty contract and they specifically state that any odometer discrepancy voids their coverage so I paid 5 grand for the top of the line warranty and it's useless. I'll be pursuing that as well in my complaint.

Let's see what the GM says tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Miker

Reaction score
Seems strange that a roll over with structural damage was even repaired in todays day and age. Does it have a clean title? Also what kind of warranty coverage can you get for an 18 year old car? And you paid 5K for it?

MrBhp

Reaction score
You should check with Shelby to see if the GT 500 is on their registry. That missing plaque would throw up several warning signs for me.

MrBhp

Reaction score
Absolute bs that Shelby discontinued the dash plaques. That never would have happened if Carroll was still kicking. They have discontinued way too much stuff. While adding more wall clocks and t-shirts.

Reaction score
Seems strange that a roll over with structural damage was even repaired in todays day and age. Does it have a clean title? Also what kind of warranty coverage can you get for an 18 year old car? And you paid 5K for it?

I pulled 4 more reports and none of those show any accident so that one may be a fluke, but they all do show the odometer being rolled back 3 and 4 times depending on the report so something is fishy. If you go through Compass you can get a total car, covers everything except bulb changes, warranty that is good for 3 years or 40k miles. Well worth it to me.

Reaction score
You should check with Shelby to see if the GT 500 is on their registry. That missing plaque would throw up several warning signs for me.

Apparently it was never standard on GT500s and the reasoning I found is because 100 percent of proceeds from that plaque went to his foundation and he signed each and every one by hand. I'm not too worried about a missing non-factory plaque when the VIN is what really matters. My VIN has the T89 Shelby GT500 convertible code and the 8th digit S for 5.4L 4V V-8 and it comes up as such when I plug it into my insurance so I'm going with it being legit. The lady that owned it is still active in the local Mustang Club with her GT350 so I'm assuming she just didn't think it necessary to purchase the plaque. I'll have to ask her next time we're out at a meet up.

MrBhp

Reaction score
FWIW, I had a vehicle that had a notice of odometer being rolled back. I know for a fact it never was rolled back. Bought the car new. But there it is on carfax.

Reaction score
FWIW, I had a vehicle that had a notice of odometer being rolled back. I know for a fact it never was rolled back. Bought the car new. But there it is on carfax.

I was hoping it was 1 simple instance of just an inspection station fat fingering the mileage but in all 4 of the reports I got back today from different providers it shows multiple times where it was rolled back on different occasions. It's a bummer for sure.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back