Quick question, confused by fastrack.

FullAhead

forum member
Reaction score
Is STU available to mustangs next year or does it not start until 2015?

FullAhead

forum member
Reaction score
I'm referring to the august Fastrack. It shows the statement in red, indicating earlier 2015, but it's listed under changes for 2014.

???

olds350

forum member
Reaction score
Based on everything I've read, STU for the stang happens starting next year, at least that's what I'm planning for...

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah the section that talks about the classing change says it's independent of the rest of the changes. 2014 seems correct to me.

FullAhead

forum member
Reaction score
Right, but then why did they highlight it in red with all the 2015 changes?

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
2014 is correct, that is what the SEB sent to the BOD to be approved. That was confirmed by two separate SEB members and from what I heard that was what the BOD rubber stamped. The same is true for the differential covers for Live Axles and I think there was one other Mustang specific change going into effect for 2014 that I can't remember! :)

This change means that Mustangs are ONLY allowed in STU and NOT STX. That's at least Nationally, you might be able to convince some poor sod to let you run in STX locally though.

lost won

Reaction score
2014 possibilities

...but why would you want to, amirite?

Even better question: Why run STU?

I mean Corvette C5, AWD boost buggies, etc... It's gonna be crowded.

FStreet-R or ESP might be the best place, depending how much you want to spend.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
...but why would you want to, amirite?

Why would you want to, because it's fun? I would ask, but I don't think you ever ran your car on 265 wide street tires did you? It's a challenge and you are just as fucked in STX as you are in STU so if you want to run street tires, your options are to either get fucked in STX or get fucked in STU. In STU you have more grip and I'm told that more grip = more fun (and apparently "safer" for high power cars).

Even better question: Why run STU?

I mean Corvette C5, AWD boost buggies, etc... It's gonna be crowded.

FStreet-R or ESP might be the best place, depending how much you want to spend.

See above... we are fucked in either class so pick your poison. Who is more likely to fit into each category? How many Mustang owners pick 265's as the absolute limit they will put on their car? Maybe a few of us that specifically sought out STX as a place to compete, but the vast majority are looking at 285's at a minimum out back, if not square or MORE. Some people are running 315's. At least 285 is palatable to most people and will attract some interest in the class even if we are doomed to mediocrity in both locations.

At best, seriously, at best, my car, with an ALIEN driving it, would have placed in the mid to high 20's in my car... I've got a diff to add, and about 140lbs of weight to remove and more power... maybe low 20's, maybe after the rest of the ST mods. I just don't see it. I'm sure many will point out "then why run in ST?" and all I really have to say on that point is, the cost of A6's SUCKS and the only other place to run street tires at Nationals is STOCK... screw that noise!

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
What it means, this "sucks"?

It ended with a question mark so I assume you are asking me.

I think stock sucks, I like making cars better. When we bought our 5.0 I had full intentions of running F street. We only bought it as a turn key solution to getting some track time as we didn't own anything track worthy at that point. I really thought I could do it. It lasted 6 weeks (a record for leaving things stock for me). The car fit in STX so I put it there. I just find it boring to have to drive around shortcomings when they can be easily changed or fixed.

The only thing holding me back with the '12 is all the extra cash flowing to the 65 and 66 mustangs we are building. Those cars will both say "F the rules" The mild one will have 315s square and 575 horsepower and will be a damn riot to drive.

So yeah, to me, stock sucks.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I would ask, but I don't think you ever ran your car on 265 wide street tires did you?

I did, and I did not enjoy it. I didn't feel like I was ever able to make the car do anything. It just howled around the course being slow. I actually pax'ed decently in STX though... I guess .827 is friendly. Granted, it wasn't in the strongest of regions.

I genuinely have fun in STU. 1 extra inch of wheel and 20 extra mm of tire REALLY makes the car more fun. IDK. It doesn't make a lot of sense, the jumps in size aren't that huge. I actually have a better time with the 285 street tires than race tires. I guess it's a happy medium for me. Sure, I go faster on race tires...but you kind of just point the car where you want to go and it sticks, at least more so than it does with RS3's. At my skill level, I feel like I get closer to maximizing the potential of the car on street tires than I do on race tires.

The STAC has received A LOT of "we're pissed off about C5's" letters...so maybe we'll see some movement.

I think F stock is no good. Can you go fast? Yeah on A6's. See: the last several F Stock national champions. However, I like to modify, and modifying around a set of noodle-springs would be maddening. Kind of out of the question for me given what's already done to the car.

ESP? Science project. If you "max out" your car it will not be very streetable and you'll need to cut on it. I guess I could go lose to Mark Madarash all the time...that sounds like fun.

STU allows me to do fun mods, run with entertaining tires, and "arrive and drive." Here, I get to lose to 4WD turbo cars. Also, there are more people running STU than ESP around here by A LOT, and it's fun to compete.

Really- just pick who you want to lose to, and how much you want to spend on tires, and how much time you want to spend on your car at the event. The answers to those questions will class your car for you.

Last edited:

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Rumor has it that Madarash is looking at CP.

Not a rumor, he confirmed it himself that due to boost buggy invasion of ESP he's going to CP to see if he can't topple Maier. Hell, in ESP trim he would have still placed SECOND in CP and not far enough off pace to be considered "out of the hunt" in a CP prepped car.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back